PDA

View Full Version : Glock Maritime Cups Question

TN-popo
09-12-10, 06:15
3rd from the bottom of this page...

http://www.cpwsa.com/Glock%20Parts.htm

Has anyone ever heard of / or have experience with this claim of Maritime Cups improving the "action break and trigger pull" of a Glock?
I've been a Glock Armorer, for an 80 man Dept, for about 12 years and I've never heard of this.

M4arc
09-12-10, 06:59
I've never heard of that either. I have two identical G19s here with the exception of one has the maritime cups install and I'll be damned if I can tell a difference.

NoBody
09-12-10, 07:14
I installed the maritime spring cups in my Glock 19. I personally could not tell a difference. Just my 2 cents...YMMV.

DPB
09-12-10, 07:14
It seems to me that the surface area touching the striker is on the inside surface of the cups, which is not the area where material has been removed. So, there is no reduction of friction on the striker, or surface area of the cups touching the striker.

I've shot with the maritime cups, and there was no difference in trigger pull.

I believe the "improve the trigger pull" thing to be incorrect.

VolGrad
09-12-10, 07:39
I too call BS on this claim. When I took the AC there was no mention of this as a reason for using the maritime cups. They were supposed to allow better/faster drainage if the gun was submerged, that's all .... at least the way I was told.

TN-popo
09-12-10, 07:43
Thanks guys.
Armorer or not, I don't claim to know everything, but I just didn't see how this was possible.

sammage
09-12-10, 09:16
Installed the cups on my G19, not a lick of difference.

skyugo
09-12-10, 12:05
i heard once that they could give slightly faster lock time because air could move through them more freely. I'm not even sure the difference would be measurable though.

Street Survival
09-12-10, 19:59
It's B.S. Save your money

Alpha Sierra
09-12-10, 20:11
It's B.S. Save your money

+1

I kinda laugh at the claims made about them.

SW-Shooter
09-13-10, 00:16
I agree with the above fore-mentioned answers. They are trying to sell you something, so write it off as an advertising gimmick. $14 bucks for two tiny pieces of plastic, sheesh.

If you do want them, I'd go with LWD. http://www.lonewolfdist.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=535&CAT=186

Joe Mamma
09-13-10, 00:27
It seems to me that the surface area touching the striker is on the inside surface of the cups, which is not the area where material has been removed. So, there is no reduction of friction on the striker, or surface area of the cups touching the striker.

Actually, the striker (firing pin) and the spring cups act as though they are one piece and slide together when (1) pulling back the trigger and (2) when the striker flies forward to hit the primer.

The maritime spring cups theoretically cut down on the friction between the spring cups and the firing pin channel.

I know of at least one reputable gunsmith who uses maritime spring cups as part of his competition trigger job/improvement package (or whatever he calls it).

I think this is one of those situations where this part replacement, plus a bunch of other very small improvements combined, MIGHT make a noticeable difference.

Joe Mamma

Ak44
09-29-10, 16:34
Is there any negative aspects of having these maritime cups installed in a EDC glock?

Joe Mamma
09-29-10, 17:00
Is there any negative aspects of having these maritime cups installed in a EDC glock?

No negatives (other than price).

Joe Mamma

EzGoingKev
09-29-10, 17:33

Joe Mamma
Out of curiosity, what is the difference in price from the standard to the maritime cups?

For you guys that are running them, did you put them in "just in case"?

Ak44
09-29-10, 18:31
Out of curiosity, what is the difference in price from the standard to the maritime cups?

For you guys that are running them, did you put them in "just in case"?

$2.95 vs $14.95 I think

jmoore
09-29-10, 19:27

Joe Mamma

Vaguely recall a thread on some list, at some point in the past (in a universe far, far away??:) about the fact that d/t there being less material in the cups - they actually break down & distruct faster than the regular cups. Again - no personal knowledge - I run the stock version in my 17.

jm

markm
09-29-10, 19:30
You can only feel the difference under water!! :D

Ak44
09-29-10, 19:33
If the Maritime cups aren't as durable as the stock cups (I suppose due to the reduce amount of material on the cups), would the pistol still function and fire?

Joe Mamma
09-30-10, 07:37
Vaguely recall a thread on some list, at some point in the past (in a universe far, far away??:) about the fact that d/t there being less material in the cups - they actually break down & distruct faster than the regular cups. Again - no personal knowledge - I run the stock version in my 17.

jm

jm, I just cannot imagine either type of spring cup breaking down from use, even heavy use. In theory, sure. But in reality, even after tens of thousands of rounds, I don't think so.

Ak44, it's hard for me to say. I think what would happen first is that the striker (firing pin) spring would start to get unseated and work its way off of the spring cup. That might create some friction where it doesn't fire. If you ever need to inspect your spring cups, you could field strip your Glock, then use a Glock tool (or punch or a pen) to remove the striker assembly to visually inspect it. The whole process could take less than a minute.

Joe Mamma