PDA

View Full Version : Glock 3.5# connector

VA_Dinger
07-31-06, 01:35
What do you guys think of the 3.5# connector in a defensive (CCW/HD) pistol? I had one that came stock in the G34 that I used to own, but I originally hated it. I asked M4arc change it out. Now I'm starting to change my mind. I used to be a strictly 4.5#-5.5# trigger guy, but now that I've gotten used to the 4# 1911 trigger that Hilton fitted for my Pro it's got me thinking.

BTW - Isn't it nice to have a forum were you can ask 1911 & Glock questions in the same forum and NOT get two pages of dumb ass Glock or 1911 wise cracks?

Robb Jensen
07-31-06, 04:53
What do you guys think of the 3.5# connector in a defensive (CCW/HD) pistol? I had one that came stock in the G34 that I used to own, but I originally hated it. I asked M4arc change it out. Now I'm starting to change my mind. I used to be a strictly 4.5#-5.5# trigger guy, but now that I've gotten used to the 4# 1911 trigger that Hilton fitted for my Pro it's got me thinking.

BTW - Isn't it nice to have a forum were you can ask 1911 & Glock questions in the same forum and NOT get two pages of dumb ass Glock or 1911 wise cracks?

I use a 3.5lb connectors in all my Glocks even for self defense.

My IDPA (SSP) gun (a G34) has a Ghost Rocket 3.5lb connector, Wolff reduced power firing pin spring and striker spring, a reduced power 15lb recoil spring (non captured with Wolff metal rod). I modifiied my firing pin safety, rounding the edges, polished it and polished the trigger bar. I use a olive NY1 trigger spring but have removed the metal coil spring that it normally has.

This combo makes for a 4.25lb pull and very smooth with a very positive short reset.

My carry Glocks usually have a Scherer 3.5lb or OEM 3.5lb connector, polished trigger bar, firing pin safety and NY1 trigger spring with the coil spring removed.

Using just the plastic portion of the NY1 spring makes it so that you don't feel mushiness of 3.5lb connectors.

Yojimbo
07-31-06, 12:21
I carry a Glock 30 with the Scherer(sp?) 3.5 lb connector. IIRC, the actual trigger pull is more 4.5 lbs.

I've tried the Glock 3.5 lb. connector but I found the Scherer to provide a stiffer and crisper trigger pull.

I have thousands of rounds with this connector and have never had any issues.

BravoCompanyUSA
07-31-06, 13:17
I use the Glock 3.5 connector on my 19's (came standard on my 34).
I like it a lot better.

CapnCrunch
07-31-06, 17:02
The OEM 3.5 lb connector and NY1 spring is the ownage.

Hydguy
08-05-06, 23:18
I carry a Glock 30 with the Scherer(sp?) 3.5 lb connector. IIRC, the actual trigger pull is more 4.5 lbs.

I've tried the Glock 3.5 lb. connector but I found the Scherer to provide a stiffer and crisper trigger pull.

I have thousands of rounds with this connector and have never had any issues.

I felt that the Scherer connector gave a smoother trigger pull. THe Glock factory unit just doesn't feel as nice.

BravoCompanyUSA
08-06-06, 09:20
I see a lot of folks mentioning the NY1 spring. I am not familiar, what does that do?

Robb Jensen
08-06-06, 09:48
I see a lot of folks mentioning the NY1 spring. I am not familiar, what does that do?

They provide a much 'snappier' reset. and don't break like the regular coil trigger springs do. I used just the plastic portion of the NY spring. I like a snappy reset because I shoot both Glocks and a 2011 STI in competition. After shooting the STI for the last 7 months it's easy to 'short stroke' the trigger when going back to a Glock. With the NY spring I only have to release a tiny bit of pressure on the trigger and it'll reset. If you use the NY1 spring (it's is stock form) and a 5lb connector it'll give you a heavy 8lb pull. With a 5lb connector it'll give you about a 5-5.5lb pull that's feels a lot like a DA revolver instead of the sort of 2 stage that a normal 5lb and conventional trigger spring does.

The green and orange springs in this pic are NY1 & NY2 springs. The coil springs are conventional springs.
http://glockmeister.com/catalog/images/Dsc00302.jpg

nyeti
08-12-06, 02:38
The one area I have found a big difference between the 1911 and the Glock (other than the painfully obvious), is that my 1911's work much better with custom parts fitted by top tier gunsmiths, and the quickest way to have Glock problems is using any non Glock parts.

My favorite Glock combo is the above mentioned NY-1 with the 3.5 connector, using all Glock parts. I ran this for awhile, and it works very well. I don't like the 3.5 on a street gun. Personally, because I use so many of the disposable pistols, I just use the stock 5lb. in all of them, so they all feel the same. If I was just using one or two guns, I would run the 3.5 NY1 combo.

Stickman
08-12-06, 13:14

I tend to agree. The OEM 3.5 feels like a wet sponge to me compared to the combo or even the standard connector.

VA_Dinger
08-16-06, 17:16
The one area I have found a big difference between the 1911 and the Glock (other than the painfully obvious), is that my 1911's work much better with custom parts fitted by top tier gunsmiths, and the quickest way to have Glock problems is using any non Glock parts.

My favorite Glock combo is the above mentioned NY-1 with the 3.5 connector, using all Glock parts. I ran this for awhile, and it works very well. I don't like the 3.5 on a street gun. Personally, because I use so many of the disposable pistols, I just use the stock 5lb. in all of them, so they all feel the same. If I was just using one or two guns, I would run the 3.5 NY1 combo.

What is the trigger pull weight of the 3.5# connector w/ NY-1 combo?

Hydguy
08-18-06, 03:14
What is the trigger pull weight of the 3.5# connector w/ NY-1 combo?

About 8 lbs.

Polishing the face of the connector and the back side of the trigger bar will smooth it out a bit, but retain the DA style weight.

Robb Jensen
08-18-06, 06:00
About 8 lbs.

Polishing the face of the connector and the back side of the trigger bar will smooth it out a bit, but retain the DA style weight.

It's 8lbs with a 5lb and NY1 spring.

a 3.5lb and NY1 are roughly 5.5lb but steadily heavy throughout the pull like a revolver not 2 stagey like a normal Glock. The NY springs work differentely than the normal coil spring. The normal coil spring helps you pull the trigger to the rear and a NY spring fights you because it's pushing the rear of the trigger bar upward. I like the snappy reset of the NY spring which is why I run one with the coil portion removed with a Ghost Rocked 3.5lb connector. After shooting a 1911 or my STI a lot it's easy for me to 'short stroke' the trigger on a Glock. The NY spring is pushing harder on my trigger finger and I only have to release pressure on the trigger a small amount and it'll reset, still a longer reset than my STI but much more positive/snappy.

I didn't measure it but my split time was probably about .10 to .12 sec shooting at a target 10yds away at this 3gun match.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/HiteHollow01-01-06331.jpg

VA_Dinger
08-18-06, 07:28
OK, so what is the actual trigger weight of a stock Glock with the 3.5# connector (Like a box stock G34/35)?

Robb Jensen
08-18-06, 07:41
OK, so what is the actual trigger weight of a stock Glock with the 3.5# connector (Like a box stock G34/35)?

They vary a little but usually right about 4.5lbs.

VA_Dinger
08-22-06, 16:07
Is it true that Glock has stopped selling the 3.5# connector seperately?

TacDoc
08-22-06, 16:36
Is it true that Glock has stopped selling the 3.5# connector seperately?

I've heard so, but GlockParts.com carries an exact duplicate of the original Glock O.E.M. 3.5 lb connector made by Lone Wolf.

ArchAngel
08-22-06, 16:38
Funny you should post that question.

I called Glock today about 3.5 connectors (knowing they don't sell them to standard markets) and obtaining them as an armorer/LEO.

I know individuals at Glock may tell me different things based on who I talk to - my results today:

I need a letterhead signed by my head LEO, mailed in with the request and the intended usage. Then they'll sell me 3.5s for $2 each.

I was told by a gunsmith/armorer friend that if you give them the SN of the weapon that they'll then sell them. No one on the phone had a clue about that.

I asked about the replacement of my LE G35 3.5 connector and couldn't get an answer to that one.

I'll try calling Glock tomorrow and see what the result is.

My take on this...Glock is just being stupid about this.

It's not like a 3.5 connector turns the weapon into something magical or dangerous with a "hair" trigger or modifies anything else in the pistol.

I'm going to track down the "best" aftermarket and go from there. Too many hassles/hoops for a $2 part.

It just doesn't make a lot of sense.

DocGKR
08-22-06, 18:42
I'm with NYETI and prefer the 3.5 lb connector and NY1 spring, however I usually just end-up using the stock 5.5 lb set-up in my G19's/G17's.

HotRod9mm
08-23-06, 09:44
The reason Gaston has stopped selling #3.5 connectors in the US is because of all the law suits. In a shooting the gun is the first to be put on trial.
As far as Glock selling the #3.5 connector, if you have a G17L, 24, 34 or 35 they will sell you a replacement, but you have to talk with someone at Glock that has been their more then a couple of weeks. Lately they seam to have a large turn over of employees.

I tested 10-12 Lone Wolf connectors in 7-8 of my Glocks. Overall they seam to have a slightly lighter trigger pull(tested with a Lyman digital scale) then any of the others, even Glock's.

Just a little extra FYI, Lone Wolf's connector is not an exact duplicate. The wording in the ad makes it sound that way.

OD45
08-23-06, 15:39

That is a very good choice. Makes for a very smooth pull IMO.

Joe Mamma
08-27-06, 17:17

I think a 3.5# is fine for carry. Actually, all my Glocks have a 3.5# Glock factory connector in them and I'm happy with the setup. I've heard of some people having problems with Lone Wolf 3.5# connectors but, I don't have any firsthand experience with them.

I like to keep it simple so, I don't play around with the other springs.

Joe Mamma