PDA

View Full Version : Rifle with carbine stock

wlptpd3
09-12-10, 16:05
I tried the search to no avail, Our admin. now wants the rifles secured in the passenger compartment of our patrol vehicles. We have 20" HBAR currently, I thought about replacing the A-2 stocks with carbine stocks but I am not sure what buffer to use with this transition. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

NickB
09-12-10, 20:58
Use an H2 carbine buffer (sometimes called "HH") with tungsten carbide weights. IIRC the exact weight is 4.14 ounces.

JR TACTICAL
09-12-10, 21:01
I agree, H buffer or HH buffer is what I would go with

outrider627
09-12-10, 21:26
20in HBARs for patrol rifles? Damn, thats gotta weigh a lot. No carbines allowed? In addition to the H2 buffer with carbine stock, theres VLTOR's A5 stock kit. It uses the M16 buffer spring with a new extended buffer. I don't know when its being released, but it looks great for front heavy rifles.

If you do go with a carbine buffer tube, I recommend the VLTOR EMOD stock. I have the IMOD and it locks up tight on the buffer tube. The EMOD should do the same and it has the strike plate for those uncooperative criminals.:D The LMT Sopmod would also be a good choice for balance but its expensive.

a308garand
09-12-10, 21:49
This is your opportunity to sell/trade the old rifles for brand new Colt 6920 or shorter. This change in policy should be supported by the proper equipment to issue to your officers. If you try and shoehorn a 20 inch barrel rifle into the ever-shrinking passenger area of your patrol car....you can already see the troubles.

wlptpd3
09-12-10, 22:05
This is your opportunity to sell/trade the old rifles for brand new Colt 6920 or shorter. This change in policy should be supported by the proper equipment to issue to your officers. If you try and shoehorn a 20 inch barrel rifle into the ever-shrinking passenger area of your patrol car....you can already see the troubles.

That is exactly my problem no funds to sell/trade what we have, but we do allow personally owned carbines. I have tried to shoehorn a 20" rifle into the passenger compartment, that is why the least expensive solution I came up with was to replace the stocks. The Canadian Forces use the C-7 which is a 20" rifle with collapsible stock although they are not putting them into patrol cars.

kmrtnsn
09-12-10, 22:21
Not sure how your cruisers are set up. Full cage? electronic locks? Shotguns? Vertical between the seats? Horizontal between the passnger seat and the tunnel? Horizontal behind the seat on the cage? Look to who makes your locking racks and what mods might need to be made there before making changes to the rifles.

wlptpd3
09-12-10, 22:33
The new racks are dual vertical between the seats and after trying it it is really interesting trying to insert/remove a 20" rifle into/from the rack. And that is in a Crown Vic, I would hate to have to try this with an Impala, the problem is clearing the headliner when you are going in or out. The difference in a A-2 stock and a collapsible is approx. 3.5 inches in length, this makes it alot easier to fit for our application.

kmrtnsn
09-12-10, 22:36
Your racks use the "clamp" around the stock then? A collapsible stock is one solution, as is the Sully fixed stock.

RyanB
09-13-10, 01:40
If it's not done right, you will have malfunctions. I would talk to an SME on the matter, Ken Elmore or someone at Colt Canada, before trying this. My suggestion: Tell officers they can have a COLT ARMORER install a COLT BARREL and a VLTOR stock kit at the officers cost. The stock kits are on sale, get them while you can.

Then, the department is only out for the armorers time...

NickB
09-13-10, 01:49
If it's not done right, you will have malfunctions. I would talk to an SME on the matter, Ken Elmore or someone at Colt Canada, before trying this. My suggestion: Tell officers they can have a COLT ARMORER install a COLT BARREL and a VLTOR stock kit at the officers cost. The stock kits are on sale, get them while you can.

Then, the department is only out for the armorers time...

Or you could just take the advice I listed above. Assuming Colt parts/spec, my response to his question is the correct answer per the sources you suggested.

Edit: some of the sources. I cannot speak for Ken Elmore, but I have done my research on the OEM side.

RyanB
09-13-10, 02:25
You're just mad at me for trying to get him to buy VLTOR shit:rolleyes:

If Nick says H2 works, its good to go. I'm just trying to get ya'll to ditch the musket barrels and move into this century.

NickB
09-13-10, 02:35
You're just mad at me for trying to get him to buy VLTOR shit:rolleyes:

If Nick says H2 works, its good to go. I'm just trying to get ya'll to ditch the musket barrels and move into this century.

I've not tested the Vltor system, but I know the Canadians have no issue with their C7A2 rifles, which use HH buffers. Even the Army's (questionable) test results that I've seen show the 20" barrel M16 with various carbine buffers to be more reliable than the standard issue M4. I take serious issue with their test procedures, but those details aren't suited for this conversation.

RyanB
09-13-10, 02:38
I meant the old VLTOR modstock, they are on closeout. The new A5 stock looks kinda cool. I seem to recall telling someone a long, long time ago that a mid length buffer system would be cool. But no, that was a dumb idea apparently! But I wanted it in a fixed stock. Hint hint.

Rifles really do things that shouldn't be possible, like run with bad ammo and shit mags and loose keys. There is something to be said for that good old fashioned long gas system.

BTW Nick, my SAW rifle has an H2 buffer in it, I thought Colts were marked HH?

wlptpd3
09-13-10, 02:41
RyanB, I would like nothing more but it is not in the cards as far as funding. My own guns are all carbine length or mid-length 14.5 or 16" barrels.

RyanB
09-13-10, 02:45
Then your best bet is to get HH buffers like Nick says. I would still make a list of allowable modifications, or let officers use their own uppers. Whatever pushes the cost onto the officer, if he wishes to use something other than what is issued.

NickB
09-13-10, 02:46
BTW Nick, my SAW rifle has an H2 buffer in it, I thought Colts were marked HH?

Your parts are most likely from Colt's Manufacturing or Colt Defense (U.S. based companies), not from Colt Canada.

RyanB
09-13-10, 02:52
Haha no shit Nick, I mean that I was told ALL Colt buffers were HH marked instead of H2.

Although I've seen a Diemaco 6920, its just H equipped like any other.

NickB
09-13-10, 03:09
Haha no shit Nick, I mean that I was told ALL Colt buffers were HH marked instead of H2.

Although I've seen a Diemaco 6920, its just H equipped like any other.

I've never seen an H2 or HH buffer from Colt, but my experience with factory Colt guns is somewhat limited. I know Colt Canada (Diemaco) uses HH-labeled buffers for the C7A2 rifle.