PDA

View Full Version : 2nd Gen Glock Malfunction?

VLODPG
09-12-10, 16:25
My 2nd gen Glock has recently started to malfunction on me.

From the slide locked back, insert fresh mag,hit slide release. When you pull the trigger, the trigger is as it was already pulled.(no tension on the trigger like it was already fired. IE: uncocked)

Rack the slide/ejects live round/feeds new round & the same thing happens.Pull the trigger but no tension on the trigger,again as if the gun was already fired(trigger to rear)

Pull the slide back just enough to check for a loaded chamber then release slide(resets trigger) & when I press the trigger,the gun will fire without further issue & will continue so untill I stop firing or slide lock on empty mag.

Once empty to slide lock, the process begins again.

I havent had a issue untill I cleaned it(gunscrub, borebrushed & breakfree). I guess I shouldn't have cleaned it but I clean it once a year if it needs it or not!

Any Glock armorers, Please chime in!

Robb Jensen
09-12-10, 17:02
It sounds much like it's too dry down between the interaction of the connector and trigger bar. Lube up that area well and see what happens.

Anjin-san
09-12-10, 18:54
Also check for a broken trigger spring. Some older guns with older trigger bars were more prone to trigger spring breakage. I believe this was due to a smaller opening on the trigger bar where the trigger spring hooks into it.

Robb Jensen
09-12-10, 18:57
Yes a Glock will fire with a broken trigger spring and actually w/o any trigger spring at all. You do have to maintain pressure on the trigger and shoot it to reset to accomplish this.

Your description is hard to understand, is this what you're saying?

Anjin-san
09-12-10, 19:04
Yes a Glock will fire with a broken trigger spring and actually w/o any trigger spring at all. You do have to maintain pressure on the trigger and shoot it to reset to accomplish this.

Your description is hard to understand, is this what you're saying?

That's how I understood it. If you want to prevent this from happening again you can replace the trigger bar with a current production Gen 3 trigger bar while you replace the trigger spring. I think the trigger bars with larger openings are marked with a dot on the center of the cruciform plate. Or go with a NY1 trigger spring, which seems to be bomb proof. Many people like the NY1 trigger spring with a 3.5 connector.

VLODPG
09-12-10, 19:38
I updated the original post,hopfully clarify what was happening. I thought I oiled up the contact points on the gun well, but I will clean it again & bathe it in lube before trying again!

Street Survival
09-12-10, 19:57
Your trigger spring is broken.

keysersoze
09-12-10, 21:45
Since you cleaned and lubed it, maybe you put in a part the wrong way? It happened to me a couple of times, I put my Glock back together after a range session and it didn't want to work. I disassembled it again, put it back together one more time and voila, its good to go.

tpd223
09-13-10, 02:44
I'm guessing broken trigger spring, I used to see lots of those back in the day.

VLODPG
09-14-10, 21:56
Update:

Last night my friend who knows his way around Glocks detail strippped my 17 down for a cleaning /part check. No broken springs found & no excessive worn parts.

The gun was filthy & after cleaning off all the smeg & reassembling/lube the gun seemed to function test fine. Loaded up some dummy rounds & started cycling the action & the original problem reappeared.

He believes the issue lies in the firing pin assembly as his other Glock's firing pins float & mine seems to bind up.It was a late night so we didnt go further info part swapping for testing purposes.

We'll get to the bottom of this thing yet!