PDA

View Full Version : Backblast!

wild_wild_wes
09-12-10, 18:54
http://img651.imageshack.us/img651/8602/234234i.jpg

A US army soldier with the 101st Airborne Division Alpha Battery 1-320th fires an AT-4 as Combat Outpost Nolen on the outskirts of the village of Jellawar in the Arghandab Valley came under Taliban attack on September 11, 2010.

DragonDoc
09-12-10, 19:39
Hope the dust cover was closed. :jester:

Failure2Stop
09-12-10, 19:51
Somebody needs to practice rocket drills :laugh:
Good thing he is using PMags :dirol:.
I wasn't aware that the Taliban have been maneuvering armored vehicles to within 400m of friendly troops, otherwise that's a bit of a waste of an AT-4 :secret:.
I hope the 203 gunner clears the debris from his tube before trying to launch some gold death :fie:.
Ah hell, it's a good pic of brass and links getting jiggy with a couple M4s I guess :dance3:.

halo2304
09-12-10, 20:58
"...now where did I put that M4? Anybody seen my M4?!"

jaxman7
09-12-10, 21:00
"Back blast area clear!".........Well I guess it is now.

Todd.K
09-12-10, 21:25
...that's a bit of a waste of an AT-4

It's attitudes like yours that had me humping a CLU all over the place with no Javelin...

Thomas M-4
09-12-10, 21:27
Kinda looks like there is another rifle at his feet is that a barrel pocking out?

Failure2Stop I wasn't aware that the Taliban have been maneuvering armored vehicles to within 400m of friendly troops, otherwise that's a bit of a waste of an AT-4 Must have been a technical:no::laugh:

jaxman7
09-12-10, 21:32
That sucks. Kinda helps to have an arrow for that bow if ya know what I mean.

It's attitudes like yours that had me humping a CLU all over the place with no Javelin...

armakraut
09-12-10, 22:03
That would make a really good Aflac commercial.

wild_wild_wes
09-12-10, 22:45
Kinda looks like there is another rifle at his feet is that a barrel pocking out?

another:

http://img52.imageshack.us/img52/1658/800x600cw.jpg

SeriousStudent
09-12-10, 22:48
LOL - that is a great shot. Ya gotta do what ya gotta do to get the job done.

Although when I see that carbine flying through the air, I can just hear one of my former platoon sergeants' voice in my head:

"Where the bleep is your bleeping weapon, you bleeping idiot!?!

Ah - good times. :D

Thomas M-4
09-12-10, 23:37
another:

http://img52.imageshack.us/img52/1658/800x600cw.jpg

Now that is how you do a dust test:jester:

Next question is that a Devil Dog?

BrianS
09-13-10, 03:08
Next question is that a Devil Dog?

Caption from OP reads:

"A US army soldier with the 101st Airborne Division Alpha Battery 1-320th fires an AT-4 as Combat Outpost Nolen on the outskirts of the village of Jellawar in the Arghandab Valley came under Taliban attack on September 11, 2010."

Regarding the antiarmor comment, isn't the AT-4 used against field fortifications and other strong positions pretty routinely? Not like they have to buy them.

:D

Failure2Stop
09-13-10, 03:43

Yeah, me and my stupid appropriate utilization of tax-paid resources. :lol:

Regarding the antiarmor comment, isn't the AT-4 used against field fortifications and other strong positions pretty routinely?

Used? Yes.
Effectivelly? Eh. . .

It is better than nothing, but generally better options exist. Without a viable armor threat, there really isn't any loss in trying it out . . . unless you forgot to sling your M4 :p.

variablebinary
09-13-10, 03:53
LOL - that is a great shot. Ya gotta do what ya gotta do to get the job done.

Although when I see that carbine flying through the air, I can just hear one of my former platoon sergeants' voice in my head:

"Where the bleep is your bleeping weapon, you bleeping idiot!?!

Ah - good times. :D

I have an extra poetic MSG instructor that would love the chance to catch someone's M4 blown across the way. It would be epic.

5pins
09-13-10, 07:40
I think that the Taliban came out with that new Allah armor. It will protect you if god wills it.

Thomas M-4
09-13-10, 08:34
Caption from OP reads:

"A US army soldier with the 101st Airborne Division Alpha Battery 1-320th fires an AT-4 as Combat Outpost Nolen on the outskirts of the village of Jellawar in the Arghandab Valley came under Taliban attack on September 11, 2010."

Regarding the antiarmor comment, isn't the AT-4 used against field fortifications and other strong positions pretty routinely? Not like they have to buy them.

Yep sure does most have been very tired last night :lazy2:

Bolt_Overide
09-13-10, 09:29
If you got it, use it.

Rated21R
09-13-10, 09:36
Nice pic. :D

Ejh28
09-13-10, 10:01
Even though the weapons in the back blast weren't secured, and it makes me cry to see them get tossed around like that, this picture gave me a little chubby. . .

I bet that's a moral buster shot more than anything else. Nothing says "Stay in your cave" like an AT-4.

CENTCOM_Survivor
09-13-10, 10:24
Great photos!

Todd.K
09-13-10, 12:00
I'm kidding of course, I did get to hump the MILES Javelin at JRTC for a month and it sucked. I'd take it any day if I was going up against armor, the AT-4 is more of a "feel good" weapon for Light Infantry.

And "they" were right, I would have tried real hard to find something to launch it at in Iraq. :smile:

FromMyColdDeadHand
09-13-10, 13:07
Surprised the press didn't call it a machine gun with all that brass flying. There's and idea, a single use Gatling gun.

decodeddiesel
09-13-10, 13:07
Holy shit that's my old unit! :eek: ****, I had better try to find out WTF is going on with them. Damn...

Well all I have to say about this is that it is damn easy to make stupid mistakes like the one you see here when the 7.62 rounds and RPGs are coming your way...and it is even easier to arm chair quarterback the whole thing from the comfortable glow of your computer monitor back here in PX Land.

Odds are someone with some bars (or a bunch of chevrons and rockers) told that soldier to engage a threat with that AT4. Usually junior soldiers don't make the decision to fire those things on their own, and senior soldiers don't touch the damn things. Kudos to him for taking one for the team. I hope to Christ he had hearing protection in when he fired it.. We had used AT4s to try to end engagements because the damn things are so loud and terrifying (both for the person firing and the person receiving) they tend to make people re-think their plans. I am guessing he had laid down his M4 next to himself before he fired, under estimated the back blast and hence the picture. Shit happens, hopefully none of the good guys died.

halo2304
09-13-10, 16:37
Looks like Ashton Kutcher is making another movie..."Dude, Where's my rifle?" :sarcastic:

sinister
09-13-10, 17:08
Big Army no longer issues the 66mm LAW. By default if you need a boom bigger than a 40mm HEDP the AT4 is the default.

Just hoping that the floating carbine isn't part of a 3 Stooges moment with the L.T. doing ass-tumbles behind him.

Caeser25
09-13-10, 17:24
Holy shit that's my old unit! :eek: ****, I had better try to find out WTF is going on with them. Damn...

Well all I have to say about this is that it is damn easy to make stupid mistakes like the one you see here when the 7.62 rounds and RPGs are coming your way...and it is even easier to arm chair quarterback the whole thing from the comfortable glow of your computer monitor back here in PX Land.

Odds are someone with some bars (or a bunch of chevrons and rockers) told that soldier to engage a threat with that AT4. Usually junior soldiers don't make the decision to fire those things on their own, and senior soldiers don't touch the damn things. Kudos to him for taking one for the team. I hope to Christ he had hearing protection in when he fired it.. We had used AT4s to try to end engagements because the damn things are so loud and terrifying (both for the person firing and the person receiving) they tend to make people re-think their plans. I am guessing he had laid down his M4 next to himself before he fired, under estimated the back blast and hence the picture. Shit happens, hopefully none of the good guys died.

For real, I couldn't believe how loud those were the first time I fired one.

Are we sure that's just not a pmag durability test

Todd.K
09-13-10, 17:50
I'd love to see something bigger than the 203 and smaller than the AT-4, sometimes you need to put a hole in something...

armakraut
09-13-10, 18:03
RPG-2?

An inventive person could take a mk19's 40mm grenade or an M203 grenade and build a compact recoiless launcher around it. Sort of like the old M79, but more like an RPG/Bazooka.

sinister
09-13-10, 18:10
There are standard LAW variants all the way up to M72A7. Shoot it, ditch the empty. Simple. A Joe can carry two without much thought.

We have nothing light like an RPG. The AT-4 is way bigger and heavier.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/64/USAF_M72_LAW.jpg/300px-USAF_M72_LAW.jpg

RogerinTPA
09-13-10, 19:51
Look closer at the pic....it appears to be 2 carbines, one to his immediate rear, sticking butt up, partially obscured, AND the weapon in full view, which looks like it's mounted/hung on something. It's a cool illusion, but it looks like an arm with a watch holding the front of that weapon on the second pic.:confused: But when looking at both pics, both weapons have obviously been displaced.

SeriousStudent
09-13-10, 21:10
......... but it looks like an arm with a watch holding the front of that weapon on the second pic......

All that is missing is the sound of his deafened squadmate bellowing "Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, man!?!"

m4fun
09-13-10, 21:51
That rocks - no time for a "back blast area clear" with all those links and shells flying - reality cant be made up.

dookie1481
10-13-10, 12:01
For real, I couldn't believe how loud those were the first time I fired one.

Are we sure that's just not a pmag durability test

Those are nothing compared to a SMAW

EDIT: sorry for the necromancy

Moose-Knuckle
10-13-10, 15:39
Just hoping that the floating carbine isn't part of a 3 Stooges moment with the L.T. doing ass-tumbles behind him.

I was wondering where it's owner was as well. :eek:

CarlosDJackal
10-13-10, 19:38
Is it strange that the first thing in my mind was if those optics kept their zero? :p