PDA

View Full Version : Gas ring issue***updated

btaksier
09-13-10, 09:10
So I got back from shooting yesterday and one of my gas rings is burned out. This is the 2nd time Ive replaced my gas rings and I only have about 1500 rounds through the rifle! I'm in CA so I was shooting 10 round mags. No 30 round mag dumps going on and the fastest I was shooting was about 1 round a second. What causes these to go out? I already put in a Mcfarland 1 piece so we'll see how it goes with that.

What could I possibly be doing to make these go out so quickly? The rifle is a S&W by the way. Anyone got any idea? New BCG time??

Thanks for any advice you can give.

Marty916
09-13-10, 10:10
Is it always the same ring out of the three? Typically this would indicate a localized hot spot, point load related mechanical wear or some combination of both. Have a look at the corresponding mating surfaces and check for any defects as well.

Dano5326
09-13-10, 11:15
scrape out the carbon build up inside your carrier & check for a not so smooth spot. The inside should be chromed & smooth.

What brand bolt carrier group?

btaksier
09-13-10, 12:52
It is a factory smith and wesson. Haven't noticed anything rough inside the carrier. I'll check again though. I have a pic of the rings from last time. I'll take a look and see if it's the same ring or not. I don't recall off the top of my head

Dano5326
09-13-10, 13:23
and.. ah, what do you mean by "burned out" ?

I have to say I have never seen a damaged one on a USGI gun. But I would throw a new bolt in around 5k.

Did once see roughed up one from a chipped chrome in a BM carrier.

My only experience with Mcfarland rings was they caused issues.

btaksier
09-13-10, 14:24
One of the rings had about a quarter of the ring gone. Same symptom last time. What was left looked a little....charred,could be carbon not sure

ucrt
09-13-10, 14:38

What happened to the original ring that came with the gun?

btaksier
09-13-10, 15:50
The original set already went out on me maybe 500 rounds ago so I replaced them.

ucrt
09-13-10, 16:43

For the original set of rings to be wore out (broke) at 1000 rounds and the second set broke 500 rounds later, it just about has to be a BC problem. The "chamber" surfaces for the bolt must have a problem (out of round, rough, too big, etc.) or maybe the area around the groove for the rings on the bolt is not to spec, allowing more of the rings to be exposed to the gases?

Do you have another BCG to compare measurements? Try shining a bright light in both ends of the bolt carrier to see if you can see some "waviness" in the reflection in the "chamber".

With new rings installed, does the BCG pass the Gas Ring Test? "Gas Ring Test" is with the BCG assembled, extend the bolt and stand the BCG on the end of the bolt. Does the bolt stay extended or does it collapse back into the BC with the weight of the BC?

What make is the rifle? Is it the same make BCG?

Sorry for all of the questions...

btaksier
09-13-10, 17:43
No problem on the questions. I talked to s&w today and they want me to send my rifle to them. Honestly I bought that brand because I didn't have to deal with shipping stuff. Not to mention 2 weeks or so without my rifle sounds horrible! Haha.

I'll look at the carrier later and see if I can see anything. Should I just pick up a new bcg and keep the factory as a backup?

btaksier
09-13-10, 17:49
Double post. sorry.

ucrt
09-13-10, 21:54

I'd go ahead and send it back. If whatever is causing this slipped through the QA cracks, something else might have slipped through too that S&W might catch.

Here's a good rule to remember that you'll see here and there concerning a self-defense weapon: "One is none and two is one."

I'd still get a spare BCG but you'll probably end up getting a new one from S&W.

btaksier
09-13-10, 22:23
Yeah prob would be the good thing to do but if it is only a BC that can cause this Ill just pick one up and throw the stock one in my toolbox for a spare. I really dont want to deal with shipping stuff. For some reason it just sounds like a pain in the ass.

The Solid
09-13-10, 22:48
I would take it as a credit to S&W, and exactly why you did buy from a quality company, that they want it back to fix (free of charge). Some other companies may give you the run around, or blame everything but them selves.

btaksier
09-13-10, 23:41
Absolutely, they were immediately wanting to take a look at it. I am just being stupid about it. Ill admit it. If someone can tell me it is def the carrier I would just swap it out and be fine. I guess it does need to be looked at though.

Ive been buying way too much ammo anyways! Thanks for all the help guys. I do appreciate it.

Cincinnatus
09-13-10, 23:55
Ive been buying way too much ammo anyways! .

TOO MUCH AMMO!!!!???? WTF?? :D

btaksier
09-14-10, 00:26
TOO MUCH AMMO!!!!???? WTF?? :D

I knew I'd get someone to bite on that one.

09-14-10, 16:56
Let us know what S&W says.

btaksier
10-05-10, 22:24
I got my rifle back from S&W today and they just replaced the BCG. There weren't any details in the repair notes but I'll try to call them tomorrow.

Iraqgunz
10-05-10, 22:31
My guess is that they found an issue with the bolt carrier and replaced the whole thing. I would be curious to see what they said.

I got my rifle back from S&W today and they just replaced the BCG. There weren't any details in the repair notes but I'll try to call them tomorrow.

CAR
10-06-10, 06:40
My guess is that they found an issue with the bolt carrier and replaced the whole thing. I would be curious to see what they said.

+1, I bet there was a problem (probably a rough spot) with the carrier.

btaksier
10-06-10, 12:26
So I called S&W and they couldn't give me any details other than what they replaced(BCG). I would feel a little better if they could tell me why they replaced what they did but I never had any operational issues with the rifle so I'll just shoot the crap out of it any hope for the best.

Thanks guys.

Capt.Nick BCE
10-08-10, 20:50
Hello everyone,

Due to a problem at our laser etching subcontractor, we will not be able to ship any new BattleComps until Tuesday. We will be closed until then.

Thanks for your continued support, and have a great holiday weekend!
Nick

btaksier
10-08-10, 22:19
Good thing I already got mine!