PDA

View Full Version : Century “C93” 5.56 HK93/HK33-clone

Shawn.L
09-13-10, 16:45
I was looking at one of these a guy I know is selling. I havent wanted a gun just to want one for a long time. It doesnt fit my real gun requirements, and Ive never been good at being a "collector", but I kinda want it.

any info here?
is it another Century POS or is it a decent build like their Yugo AK's they farmed out?

I dont think Id actually buy it, but it has peeked my curiosity about it.

Century “C93” 5.56 HK93/HK33-clone

These Century C93’s started life as Malaysian HK33’s, and Century bought all the trade-up mil-surps and de-milled these hardly-used rifles into parts sets.

These HK parts sets were then re-built in the USA to "922-specs" using new Rim Country Mfg fluted-chamber nitrided barrels in the CORRECT HK33 contours, on a USA-made recvr with some USA-made FCG parts.

This C93 is one of the earliest builds, done on a Special Weapons recvr with 3-digit S/N, (C9300 3xx) and finished in black park. The bolt-group is original, all numbers-matching.

Rifle has a mil-surp leather G3 sling, the typical Century beater-bayo from an HK33, 2 mil-surp HK33 40rd mags, 1 barely-used 30rd Turkish MKE HK33 poly mag, and - - 2 original 25rd HK33/93 mags (rare as frog fur) that were never even loaded.

Plus; Includes a “nearly new” S-U-O (S-E-F) poly pistol grip trigger housing that needs clipped/pinned to fit on the rifle. (Lower is not in the picture.)

This is one of the sweetest shooting 5.56 rifles on the planet; easily as nice as a 20” AR but in a meaner-looking "MP44-looking" package.

http://forum.pafoa.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=20901&d=1284339581

SBushong
09-13-10, 19:02
I don't have any personal experience with these or know anyone that does, but the combination of the Century gunsmith monkeys and "Speshul Wepunz" is something I would avoid like the plague.

You might try one of the HK forums. I am sure someone over there has experience with them. Google "Special Weapons" or "Todd Bailey" and you will get a treasure trove of internet amusement.

There is also a write up about the Special Weapons receivers on Gunplumbers site.

http://www.arizonaresponsesystems.com/notes/noteshk/hksw5/pagehksw5.shtml

rifleman2000
09-13-10, 23:37
I purchased a Century CETME/G3 clone in 2001. I returned it unfired after discovering that I could not disassemble the weapon, even with the help of an e-tool used to bang on the takedown pins.

ChocLab
09-14-10, 00:57
I would be wary and would only by a Century product from Henderson Defense, NV because they certify/test fire the rifles.

They use to sell the C93 but it is no longer on their website.

yellowcarbon
09-14-10, 13:56
I bought one and it was mediocre at best for the money. If you have your heart set on a HK93 style clone, this isn't a bad first step. But be sure to know it is a first step and you will have to put money & effort into it get it nice. Think of it as a project gun that isn't complete and you won't be unhappy. If you want a good to go out of the box, look for the real thing or a Vector clone.

I will say it was reliable and decently accurate for the 200ish rounds I put through it before I traded it off. So that was a good start. I don't know about the durability as I have read it is at the maximum head space. But you can replace the rollers with oversized ones, so it is 'fixable' if you need to. I am not really in the known on HK platforms, so this is something you would want to research.

The finish was an extremely poor paint job and it something you would expect out of a DIY project. In fact, if it were my DIY job, I would do it over. The finish was also extremely fragile and flaked from the slip on carrying handle. I do know some models come with a parkerized finish, which I think would be much more superior. So avoid the painted finish if you can. The finish was very 'globby' over the furniture, which I assume is to cover the dings & scratches. If I were going to keep, I would eventually have it redone. Had they done the refinish job right, it would have been a much nicer rifle. But it is cheap rifle and you have to keep that in mind.

Also keep in mind, this is a used parts kit with a new barrel and reciever. The parts definitely did not look new. They weren't worn out, but definitely came off of a used kit. The spring on my flash hider was weak and barely held it on. The rear sight was about as loose as it can be while still being usable. On the upside, the bolt carrier assembly on mine was HK marked and in decent shape.

So, in the end, if your expectations are low and you think of it as a project gun, you will be okay. If you expect a commercial grade firearm out of the box, you will definitely be sad and let down. Consider it is half the price of the Vector, it isn't a bad starting point. But you will want to refinish it and replace worn parts. Also keep in mind, it will always be a Century gun and have that stigma. So while it can be made into a very nice carbine, people will always want to pay Century prices.

TOrrock
09-14-10, 14:05
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v613/Tim_Orrock/Funny%20stuff/century20monkey1.jpg

armakraut
09-15-10, 01:34
The good news is the quality control is better than it used to be.

The bad news is that this isn't saying much.