PDA

View Full Version : Stuck cases, popped primers, and a ruined bolt.

greene
09-13-10, 17:26
I was out shooting my rifle with some silver bear, ultramax and hornady tap ammo. Shot the silver bear first then the hornady. The siver bear worked perfectly, the hornady kept popping primers, and once I started shooting the ultramax through the gun I got stuck cases.

On the last round that was stuck I tried to mortar the rifle, but could not get the case out, the bolt was also stuck in the chamber. I pounded it out and the empty case showed the primer was gone, the rim of round is bulged out like it exploded towards the extractor and the extractor itself had been bent from the round going off. Also on the back of the round where the bolt would make contact there is a piece of brass fused to the rim.

I understand the cases likely got stuck from shooting steel cased ammo before the brass, but why the popped primers and the bent extractor? I can send pics to anyone that is interested, but suck with computers and don't know how to post pics.
The rifle specs are as follows:

noveske recon barrel
fail zero bolt
daniel defense carrier
vltor mur upper
buffer is a spikes

This rifle has been giving me popped primers every time I shoot brass cased ammo through it cheaper ammo works just fine???

Also if the bolt is still intact aside from the extractor is it safe to just keep the bolt and replace the extractor? All input is appreciated.

Todd.K
09-13-10, 18:01
This rifle has been giving me popped primers every time I shoot...
STOP SHOOTING IT.

the rim of round is bulged out like it exploded towards the extractor and the extractor itself had been bent from the round going off. Also on the back of the round where the bolt would make contact there is a piece of brass fused to the rim.
What you had was a KB that was just weak enough to not destroy the entire upper.

greene
09-13-10, 18:10
Any way to fix this? Can I just replace the barrel and BCG or is the whole upper trashed? Thanks.

Todd.K
09-13-10, 18:38
I've only seen the barrel damaged by a more energetic KB, the barrel extension was cracked when the extractor was forced outwards.

The Bolt is probably going to have a shortened life if it's still intact.

You should get it looked at by a pro, I recommend you sent it to me unless you have a very good AR gunsmith handy.

greene
09-13-10, 19:02
Can you PM me an address to send it to? I can send it out tomorrow.

Iraqgunz
09-13-10, 21:01
In addition I would make sure that you have the info handy from the ammo (lot numbers and casings). It is entirely possible that you have some bad ammo. Wait and see what Todd says.

evolixsurf
09-13-10, 22:36
I am no professional, but it really sounds like a professional needs to take a look at this gun.... The popped primers and out of battery kaboom is not a good thing at all... I am suprised because it seems you have a good setup. Something is out of spec.

evolixsurf
09-13-10, 22:38
looking at it again, I bet 10 bucks it has something to do with the DD carrier and the fail zero bolt.... I would never mis match a bolt.

greene
09-14-10, 06:02
I doubt it was a bolt issue. The rifle has several thousand rounds through it with no problems, it's just with brass ammo.
Last week when I was out shooting it was hornady 75 grain match and I got 4 popped primers out of 60 rounds. Loaded up some silver bear and it ran like a top. Maybe a tight chamber, but I'm no expert.

ST911
09-14-10, 08:29
What you had was a KB that was just weak enough to not destroy the entire upper.

Agreed.

looking at it again, I bet 10 bucks it has something to do with the DD carrier and the fail zero bolt.... I would never mis match a bolt.

High confidence that it's not the problem.

evolixsurf
09-14-10, 09:32
Yup tight chamber killed the bolt

greene
09-14-10, 12:37
The people at noveske were good enough to let me send it to them for evaluation. Will let you guys know what they say once the problems solved. Thanks for the replies.

polymorpheous
09-15-10, 19:38
Brass flow.
Popped pimers.

Wouldn't this be a headspace issue?

Ned Christiansen
09-15-10, 20:23
It's in excellent hands.

greene
09-15-10, 20:29
It's in excellent hands.

No doubt. Noveske has always shown me great customer service.

Todd.K
09-15-10, 20:36
Brass flow.
Popped pimers.

Wouldn't this be a headspace issue?

The brass flow is a definite pressure issue. Dropped primers are generally a sign of the same.

Several things can cause pressure issues including the ammo.

TehLlama
09-15-10, 20:54
I'd really love to hear all the possible causes of this - and how to narrow this down. This thread is destined to be educational... hope it's a cheap fix Greene

MarkG
09-15-10, 21:10
I am no professional, but it really sounds like a professional needs to take a look at this gun.... The popped primers and out of battery kaboom is not a good thing at all... I am suprised because it seems you have a good setup. Something is out of spec.

A properly manufactured AR-15 can not fire out of battery.

evolixsurf
09-17-10, 00:12
well, a round with a primer not fully seated can fire out of battery(on a properly manufactured gun). Ive seen it! ;)

Iraqgunz
09-17-10, 00:21
You have seen it, or you have seen it with an AR? I guess anything is possible.

well, a round with a primer not fully seated can fire out of battery(on a properly manufactured gun). Ive seen it! ;)

MarkG
09-17-10, 00:33

To make this claim,you would have had to know the primer was high before the round was chambered. Not impossible but certainly improbable.

Suwannee Tim
09-17-10, 05:58
To make this claim,you would have had to know the primer was high before the round was chambered.

I was present when an AR blew up a couple of years ago. Examination of the remaining ammunition revealed several cartridges with high primers. We concluded the rifle fired due to a high primer. The evidence is destroyed in such cases so you have to draw conclusions indirectly. I can't cite a study where high primers were shown to cause out of battery discharges but it is accepted wisdom that they can and will.

Blown primers are a very serious and dangerous malfunction and when one occurs, just one, you really should stop shooting until you have determined what the problem is. It seems to me that the design of the AR is very good at protecting a shooter, particularly a right handed shooter from consequences of blown primers and blown cases. Other rifles, the M1 and M1A for example can put an eye out when this happens.