PDA

View Full Version : Southern VA public range

pilotguyo540
09-13-10, 17:40
I am looking for a public range in southern Virginia between Norfolk and Roanoak. It does not have to be anything special, just a place to shoot legally without bothering anyone. 100 yards would be ideal but not necessary.

I am on a tight schedule and didnt have much time to plan in advance, so speedy suggestiions would be much appreciated! I will be out shooting tomorrow afternoon (assuming I can pull it off this time). Feel free to join if you havenothing going on.

C45P312
09-13-10, 17:48
I am looking for a public range in southern Virginia between Norfolk and Roanoak. It does not have to be anything special, just a place to shoot legally without bothering anyone. 100 yards would be ideal but not necessary.

I am on a tight schedule and didnt have much time to plan in advance, so speedy suggestiions would be much appreciated! I will be out shooting tomorrow afternoon (assuming I can pull it off this time). Feel free to join if you havenothing going on.

Only public shootnig ranges in Hampton Roads area that is 25+ Yards is C2 Shooting Center. Then there's like 4-6 indoor 25yd ranges

Chooie
09-13-10, 17:52
There is the Roanoke Rifle club, PSS indoor range in Roanoke, Lynchburg Arms and Indoor shooting range in Lynchburg... I know PSS and LA are indoor, 25 yd open to the public, but as far as I know PSS is pistol only, LA is anything except .460 and larger rifle and shotguns.

Jellybean
09-13-10, 19:12
Well, the OP already knows what I'm going to say- but for future reference for other folks:

I ransacked the internet for about 4 hours today looking for ranges in SOVA. I even called my usual range for ideas. The results were not pretty. :(
The vast majority are private clubs. And they're the ones that seem to have any rifle facilities at all. Most of the public ranges are handgun only, and there are a good few, so you're not totally out of luck there. But they all seem to be static ranges (i.e., lanes).
There were a couple WMA ranges that are public for rifles. But they seem to be geared more towards hunting, and have some diabolical rules for how you can shoot your rifle. Not worth it, imo.

The one good thing I did find today was the NRA search feature on their site:http://www.nra.org/NRALocal.aspxA bit more straightfoward than google.

pilotguyo540
09-14-10, 09:31
Only public shootnig ranges in Hampton Roads area that is 25+ Yards is C2 Shooting Center. Then there's like 4-6 indoor 25yd ranges

The C@ looks awesome! for those who dont know...
http://thec2center.com/home.html

pilotguyo540
09-14-10, 18:10
I ended up doing to C2 today. It was a nice facility. I didnt take the full tour, but you can see on the website that they have some cool stuff. They have a good selection of targets a fairly good pro shop. The staff was nice. I didnt see any range nazi tactics. I did have to do a 4 page info thing to get in with the last page being a test. I passed! I dont think the girl even looked at it:D

One thing I did see there that I am not used to seeing is an hourly fee for range useage. It is not much, I definately dont mind. Just different. Next time I am fortunate enough to be in the area I will make time to go again.

C45P312
09-14-10, 18:30
One thing I did see there that I am not used to seeing is an hourly fee for range useage. It is not much, I definately dont mind. Just different. Next time I am fortunate enough to be in the area I will make time to go again.

I find that their fee is outrageous for an extended amount of time at the range. So everytime I go, I only go for an hour. And usually it's to confirm zero once a month on all my rifles and that's it.

0-100 yards = $12.50/hour

200 & 300 Yards = $17.50/hour but you have to "qualify". Meaning they want to make sure you don't have the rounds flying out the berm or messing any of there equipement up.

Nonetheless, they are the only 100+ yard public range within 1.5 hours of the largest naval base on the east coast. So I guess they have that market cornered.

pilotguyo540
09-14-10, 19:00
I find that their fee is outrageous for an extended amount of time at the range. So everytime I go, I only go for an hour. And usually it's to confirm zero once a month on all my rifles and that's it.

0-100 yards = $12.50/hour

200 & 300 Yards = $17.50/hour but you have to "qualify". Meaning they want to make sure you don't have the rounds flying out the berm or messing any of there equipement up.

Nonetheless, they are the only 100+ yard public range within 1.5 hours of the largest naval base on the east coast. So I guess they have that market cornered.

On first glance I thought this was a bit steep as well. I must say that this is no ad hoc range. I can see the investment and the quality that went into building it. I dont mind paying for quality. Thats why I dont fly southwest or stay at motel 6. A little profit is good.

I agree about the whole 200/300yrd price difference. That seems a little mindless. So does qualifying.

It is also one of the only places that does not make you buy their prison rape priced ammo.

Pro-Pain
09-22-10, 17:01
You need to look into those private clubs. I belong to one and it's a good deal. $100 per year. The range is open sunup to sundown 364 days a year. I can bring up to 3 guests @ $5 each. Ranges from 7yds out to 200.

Most private clubs operate that way. Definitely a good way to go.

dolf
02-26-11, 08:38
If you don’t mind driving a little past Roanoke, there’s a 100’ range just north of Blacksburg. Been there a few times. Everybody is fairly safe and it’s free. There’s a place to throw in a couple of bucks for maintenance is you want. Separate ranges for rifle/pistol and shotgun.
http://www.botos.com/david/guns/bburgrange/