PDA

View Full Version : Bulged Barrel on LMT 10.5"

tkoglman
09-13-10, 18:29
My colleague has a 10.5" LMT. Over the past year, he's been having accuracy issues with it. At first we thought it was his optics, which EOTech refurbished for free. The accuracy problems persisted. At 50m the rifle would shoot 12-18" groups. Switching from M193 to 69gr. BTHP's cut the groups in half, but accuracy was still dismal. In comparison, my Sabre Defense barrelled shorty shoots close to 1moa.

I couldn't imagine that the barrel had been shot-out so quickly. I began to suspect that the muzzle crown was damaged, so I inspected the barrel closely. The crown was fine, but looking down the bore, from the muzzle, I could see a black ring around the bore about 3/4" down from the muzzle. I cleaned the barrel well and the black ring stood out even more. I've seen several bulged barrels in pistols, and this looked exactly the same - a black ring, a shadow, cast on the bore where the bulge is. I ran a swab down the bore and could feel it. The bulge is just ahead of the front of the FSB.

This must be the cause of the inaccuracy. The longer BTHP bullets were probably more tolerant of it than the 55gr FMJ's.

We sent an email to LMT, but I'm sure that their response will be that it is an ammunition induced problem - which it most likely is. I can't see it being a manufacturing problem. All he's ever put through the barrel (about 2000 rounds) is M193 and Federal LE ammo. He couldn't remember having a squib round at any point. The rifle had some cycling problems when he first got it - which were cured quickly with the right buffer - but after that its run perfectly. He also didn't remember ever having a bore obstruction. My guess is that the squib round occurred in the first 50 rounds as we were getting the right buffer in it, and we just didn't notice it.

Luckily for him, I have a spare Sabre Defense 11.5" barrel I can sell him. Has anyone ever had an experience with a bulged barrel in an AR before? I've never seen it before.

Thanks.

Underwood 43
09-13-10, 19:21
I would be interested in hearing what LMT says, as I own one. I would think that they build a good enough product that this must be something unsual and they will probably want to take a look at it. Would you please post what he gets for a reply.

jwinch2
09-13-10, 19:37
I've never personally seen a bulged barrel in any AR but I have of rumor of them from others. I also own a LMT carbine so I will be curious to hear their response. I haven't heard any negatives on their customer service but this is a bit of an odd case. I hope your buddy gets it taken care of.

AR15barrels
09-21-10, 19:09
I've never personally seen a bulged barrel in any AR but I have of rumor of them from others.

I have cut a few off for people that sent them to me.

The only one I cross sectioned and photographed was this 9mm colt barrel:

http://ar15barrels.com/tech/bulged9mm.jpg

That's 3 bullets that were stuck in the barrel before he stopped!

tkoglman
09-21-10, 21:06
Here's an update:

LMT responded to my buddy, by telephone, the next day. They too were very interested in the problem. They agreed that it would cause the accuracy problems he experienced. They sent him a shipping number, and he boxed it up and shipped it back to them.

I'll let you all know what they say about it.

jwinch2
09-22-10, 08:01

Thanks for posting that!

ucrt
09-22-10, 09:57

===========================

Randall, that had to have been blowing a bunch of gas back in the shooter face, huh?

Are blown up AR's barrels possible? I guess it is possible but I'd think a good CM barrel could handle the pressures but that gas has to go somewhere. I've only seen pics of uppers that came a part, which I figured was caused by a barrel obstruction and the gases came back destroying the upper. I can't remember seeing a ruptured barrel.

Thanks for your pics.

Suwannee Tim
09-22-10, 10:30
I have seen an AR15 barrel ruptured. The shooter had taken his flash hider off and was using a sight in device with a spud inserted at the muzzle. The barrel blew up into six razor sharp petals peeled back like a banana all the way to the gas block. The guy swore up and down that he had removed the sight in device but did not produce it. After he left we found the remains of the shattered sight in device down range.:D

Mac5.56
09-22-10, 10:58
what do you mean by "sight in device with a spud"? Just curious, I've never heard that one before, and I'm new to the game.

ucrt
09-22-10, 11:17
what do you mean by "sight in device with a spud"? Just curious, I've never heard that one before, and I'm new to the game.

There are several types going back 40+ years. Some are optical but now generally, it is a tapered "mandrell" the fits in the end of the barrel to align a laser dot with the bore. The laser projects a dot

This is a common one. (http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=112880)

And IMHO, they aren't worth a crap. It is too easy to remove the upper, put it os sandbags (or a vise), look down the barrel and align it up with a target, and then adjust the sights to the same target. It gets you on the paper.

AR15barrels
09-22-10, 11:17

http://img.diytrade.com/cdimg/560583/6375546/0/1216086389/laser_bore_sight_collimator.jpg

SuicideHz
09-22-10, 11:33

How the HELL did he do that? I had ONE stuck in the barrel and when I fired the second, the damn thing EXPLODED out of the action. 9mm blowback will fry your face and pepper you with burnt crap. I'm surprised he was able to even launch a couple more after the first.

SMG? I still can't see it. My case was blown to bits and stuck in the action...

AR15barrels
09-22-10, 12:21
How the HELL did he do that?

He told me it was on an M16 lower when it happened.
It was a 16" barrel so the pressure is pretty low at the muzzle.
It would be much worse out the back of the gun if this were an SMG barrel.

I cut the barrel back to 10.5" for him and he's probably still using it.