PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have an m&p .45 compact? thoughts?

willowofwisp
09-14-10, 07:48
I am thinking of purchasing a m&p .45 compact...as i am looking for a mid sized gun in the m&p line up, something to carry in between my compact 9 and my full size.

I know that .45 is expensive but my grandpa loads .45s like crazy but will a m&p .45 feed semi wadcutters?

I plan on purchasing the tan model with thumb safety and then adding the apex DCAEK and some warren/sevigny two dot sights.

Questions, how does the m&p .45 compact carry?

can you mount an x300 on it? (not sure if rail length long enough)

pictures are always nice too :)

ralph
09-14-10, 08:03
I only have a midsize.45 anyway, yes, they'll feed LSWC's basically, That's all I shoot,(3000+ rnds, and 1FTF) X-300 will also fit I've got one on my AR, and tried it on my M&P's They fit fine, and I really had to push on it to get it to lock, But, it went on without any damage, just kinda hard to get them to lock..

Hooligan
09-14-10, 12:03
delete

CQC.45
09-15-10, 06:50
Love mine. Very soft shooting and pairs well with a fullsize :dirol:.

Trigger is ok, mine is at Bowie Tactical Concepts for one of Mr. Bowie's S-triggers (have them on my fullsize and love it), among other things. All said, I would highly reccomend one.

Watrdawg
09-15-10, 07:24
I just recently bought the M&P45 Midsize from G&R. I got it with the APEX DCAEK, polished trigger and Warren sights. I absolutely love it! It has the same 4" barrel as the compact but with the full size grip. I thought about putting the X300 under it but it stuck out at least an inch from the barrel. I ended up going with a Streamlight TLR-3 instead. Not the same quality as the Surefire but still a nice little light. It fit very nicely under the weapon and is a bright little light. I'm fully satisfied with it. In the last 3 weeks or so I've put 600 rounds down range and am now guzzeling the coolaide.

CQC.45
09-15-10, 10:33
What kind of role are you imagining for this? If your looking for a "G19 do-it-all" kind of situation, then I would reccomend the 45 Mid as opposed to the compact. Same 4" barrel, FS 10rd frame/grip.

willowofwisp
09-15-10, 10:55
What kind of role are you imagining for this? If your looking for a "G19 do-it-all" kind of situation, then I would reccomend the 45 Mid as opposed to the compact. Same 4" barrel, FS 10rd frame/grip.

the role i was thinking of was g-19 sized gun your correct specifically the shortened grip. I would rather carry my full size 9 if i was looking for a full grip

CQC.45
09-15-10, 12:46
the role i was thinking of was g-19 sized gun your correct specifically the shortened grip. I would rather carry my full size 9 if i was looking for a full grip

Then you will be very happy with the 45c :cool:

willowofwisp
09-15-10, 12:52
Then you will be very happy with the 45c :cool:

Yup i think so, but i actually decided to put off the purchase of a .45 compact for now, i recently picked up my 9c CT grips and i need to order my sevigny night sights for both my compact and full size (replacing my FS stock novak ramped sights).

I think around november-december I will be pickign one up again though.

SW-Shooter
09-15-10, 16:33
I owned both the full size and compact version of the M&P .45. I had several problems of failing to load completely to battery. I though it was the ammo (Federal HST 230), but that turned out to be wrong. I switched magazines, no help.

Finally sent them back to S&W and all they did was polish the feed ramps. That almost cured the problem. I say almost because every now and then one would occur.

After that I switched to the Glock 21Sf & G30Sf, I haven't looked back. These results may not be typical as my guns had less than 1000 rounds through them and were the some of the first made. In my opinion the recoil spring needs a little more weight behind it.

CQC.45
09-16-10, 06:55
I owned both the full size and compact version of the M&P .45. I had several problems of failing to load completely to battery. I though it was the ammo (Federal HST 230), but that turned out to be wrong. I switched magazines, no help.

Finally sent them back to S&W and all they did was polish the feed ramps. That almost cured the problem. I say almost because every now and then one would occur.

After that I switched to the Glock 21Sf & G30Sf, I haven't looked back. These results may not be typical as my guns had less than 1000 rounds through them and were the some of the first made. In my opinion the recoil spring needs a little more weight behind it.

Does anyone know if there is a difference between earlier and later production M&P45 recoil springs? Mine seem fine, just curious

designman
09-17-10, 22:39
I have the full size and the compact version of the M&P 45 and
love them both. I really think the compact is my favorite of the two.
I also have a Glock 21sf and a Glock 30sf. I've always liked Glocks and shoot them well. I had the Glocks before trying the M&P's.
The Glocks stay in the safe most of the time now, because the M&P's
just feel better and shoot just as well. I've kept the Glocks because they work every time, but so far, so have the M&P's.

Hope this helps.

poirierpro
03-23-11, 22:28
I'm in the same boat and really want to get my hands on an M&P .45. I'm torn between the middy and the compact. For those of you that have both how do they conceal? How much longer is the grip on the middy than the compact? I'd like to see pics! I've seen only the FS and Compact versions. I know that A LOT of guys on here LOVE the middy and want to know if they are carrying it on a regular basis.

nobody knows
03-24-11, 00:17
I have been thinking of getting a m&p for the last two or three week's, and I'm kind of confused about them. Do they make a full size,compact and sub compact of each caliber like glock? Or do the only do this with the .45 thanks.

jck397
03-24-11, 00:51
I have been thinking of getting a m&p for the last two or three week's, and I'm kind of confused about them. Do they make a full size,compact and sub compact of each caliber like glock? Or do the only do this with the .45 thanks.

The 9/40 M&P's come in full size (full length grip and 4 1/4 in. barrel, roughly Glock 17 size), compact (short grip and 3.5 in. barrel, between G19 and G26 size, no bevertail), and long slide (full size frame and 5" barrel, think G34/35). The 45's come in full size (full size grip, 4.5 in. barrel), mid-size (full size frame, 4" barrel, roughly G19 size), and compact (shorter 8 rd. grip, no bevertail, 4" barrel). Slides are interchangable on the .45's (some people have put 4.5 in. uppers on the 45c), and larger-frame mags work in the compact guns.

Ga45fan
03-24-11, 09:51
I have both the mid size and compact and am quite happy with both. I carry the midsize more as it hasn't given me any problems doing so. I picked up the compact at the same time I bought the mid because I thought I'd have an easier time carrying it but that hasn't been the case. I like them both quite a bit and have had 0 trouble from either.

markm
03-24-11, 10:06
I'm happy carrying the Full Size 45 in a RCS Phantom. I don't like going shorter than 4.5" with the 45acp since you start robbing the cartridge of what little velocity it has in the first place.

poirierpro
03-24-11, 10:49
I'm happy carrying the Full Size 45 in a RCS Phantom. I don't like going shorter than 4.5" with the 45acp since you start robbing the cartridge of what little velocity it has in the first place.

Does anyone know how much .5" will do to velocity? Doesnt seem much to me...

CQC.45
03-24-11, 20:59
4" is the minimum bbl length for me in a .45. Though I will generally use HST +Ps when carrying for the extra velocity.

As someone stated above, many have been putting FS slide assemblies on compact frames in order to get the extra velocity while still maintain a short grip for concealability.

On an interesting note: I spoke to Storm Lake and they claimed that extended barrels wont work w/ the 45c due to the way the slide is designed...but the 45 FS works fine with them. Thats why they only make stock length barrels for the compact.

BigBuckeye
03-24-11, 21:14
I too want a .45 M&P, what is everyones take on the safety? Ambi or no external safety?