PDA

View Full Version : Mid-size M&P 9

Zog
09-14-10, 10:14
Any new RUMINT on the Middy M&P 9? Any chance it hits the street before SHOT? Is it even real?

mlk18
09-14-10, 10:41
I would love a mid sized M&P! But with all that S&W has going on right now I wonder if they have the production capacity to manufacture a new model already. I had to wait weeks for an M&P 9FS to come in stock. And now that they got the ATF contract, the may be very busy. Will probably just get a M&P 9C.

willowofwisp
09-14-10, 13:19
Any new RUMINT on the Middy M&P 9? Any chance it hits the street before SHOT? Is it even real?

I honestly don't see it happening..they already have a compact 9 and with how their sizing is they probably wouldn't see it beneficial to have a mid size 9.

Seraph
09-14-10, 19:20
I honestly don't see it happening..they already have a compact 9 and with how their sizing is they probably wouldn't see it beneficial to have a mid size 9.

I agree with this. There's a pretty narrow gap between the FS and the C. Anyway, the FS is only a little bit bigger than a Glock 19.

Omega Man
09-14-10, 20:40
With G19's being so popular, a mid size M&P would sell like beer.

keysersoze
09-14-10, 20:44
I don't know if S&W would spend more money to make new slides to be a "tweener" pistol. That's a lot of re-tooling on their end.

I kinda see the M&P FS as the mid-size, the M&P9L as the full, and the compact as just that :D

willowofwisp
09-14-10, 20:53

from a business stand point..the full size and compacts are already selling like beer, so why invest in another product.

Omega Man
09-14-10, 21:01
from a business stand point..the full size and compacts are already selling like beer, so why invest in another product.

Same reason Glock makes the 19. Many folks feel that the FS is just a bit too large for carry, and feel the compact is a bit too small for control during firing. Mid size is just right for many. Myself included.

willowofwisp
09-14-10, 21:03
Same reason Glock makes the 19. Many folks feel that the FS is just a bit too large for carry, and feel the compact is a bit too small for control during firing. Mid size is just right for many. Myself included.

i totally agree and i would love a mid-size 9 but i don't see it happening..maybe in the next generation of m&p pistols

Omega Man
09-14-10, 21:06
I would imagine that the G19 is the best selling Glock pistol, at least in the civilian market.

moyler
09-14-10, 22:03
I would imagine that the G19 is the best selling Glock pistol, at least in the civilian market.

I would agree with your statement about the G19. But the tolerences between the M&P9FS vs. M&P9c seem pretty negligible.
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w55/moyler_photos/030-1.jpg
I am carrying both models, IWB, AIWB, OWB, and being 5'10", 160# after a summertime BBQ weekend, I would sell my compact and carry just the FS, but the compact shoots so damn smooth I am compelled to keep it.

I am all for options, but a mid-size 9 doesn't make sense to me.

willowofwisp
09-14-10, 22:25
I would agree with your statement about the G19. But the tolerences between the M&P9FS vs. M&P9c seem pretty negligible.
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w55/moyler_photos/030-1.jpg
I am carrying both models, IWB, AIWB, OWB, and being 5'10", 160# after a summertime BBQ weekend, I would sell my compact and carry just the FS, but the compact shoots so damn smooth I am compelled to keep it.

I am all for options, but a mid-size 9 doesn't make sense to me.

I carry my 9c with a flat base plate so the difference is a little more noticeable to me.

Steve S.
09-14-10, 23:01

After handling a lot of G19s, I was hell bent on buying one when I recently decided to go the "combat tupperware" route. After shooting the M&P9 Fullsize, I fell in love (not trying to start a war - I honestly think it comes down to personal preferance).

I couldn't help going back to the G19 because of the size. I checked the websites of each and seen the difference was pretty substantial. Some things to consider though in the G19 vs M&P9.

The G19 mags stick out the bottom, so it is "taller" than one would notice in a gun shop (assuming they keep the mags out).

The M&P's beavertail is pretty aggressive, but can be taken down in size, bringing it even closer to G19 size.

Despite small differences in size (about 1/4 inch longer and taller on the M&P if i remember correctly - check my past posts to see my thread that had a response of the two guns stacked on top of each other) the M&P's barrel is 0.5" longer.

Given the similair sizes of the G19 and M&P, I don't think anyone would notice if they made a "G19 sized" M&P at first glance.

The midsize in .45 is because the .45 guns are a tad larger than the other calibers. The midsize fails to make the grip any smaller (the hardest part to conceal) and that small difference in height is where the G19 really shines as the perfect sized carry gun.

moyler
09-14-10, 23:36
I carry my 9c with a flat base plate so the difference is a little more noticeable to me.
Serious? So that 1/4 inch provides that much more "concealability"?
What do you wear during a CC situation that a FS, or ext BP on a compact is "noticeable" to OTHER people? I can wear cargo shorts and a medium tank top, and unless I'm in a bear hug with a close friend, noone knows I am with arms carrying a FS9.

So the 'proposed' mid-size M&P 9 would mitigate the size differential between the FS and the 'c', give you 1 to 2 more rounds, but still be larger than the compact, with the extended base plate you are opposed to?

So, is the issue with round capacity or carryability? The margins are quite minute; I'd rather adjust and carry a FS than compromise, IMO.

While a midi 9 might make for a decent pistol, I dont think S&W will be spending the money. If I am wrong, it might cost me. :)

willowofwisp
09-14-10, 23:42
Serious? So that 1/4 inch provides that much more "concealability"?
What do you wear during a CC situation that a FS, or ext BP on a compact is "noticeable" to OTHER people? I can wear cargo shorts and a medium tank top, and unless I'm in a bear hug with a close friend, noone knows I am with arms carrying a FS9.

So the 'proposed' mid-size M&P 9 would mitigate the size differential between the FS and the 'c', give you 1 to 2 more rounds, but still be larger than the compact, with the extended base plate you are opposed to?

So, is the issue with round capacity or carryability? The margins are quite minute; I'd rather adjust and carry a FS than compromise, IMO.

While a midi 9 might make for a decent pistol, I dont think S&W will be spending the money. If I am wrong, it might cost me. :)

For me i notice the difference between my full size 9 and my compact 9 with the flat plate, i normally carry in environments where carrying a firearm isn't normally suggested/allowed..and i am a bit bigger 5'11 245lbs i normally wear jeans and a t shirt in the summer, i am not saying that its not possible for me to carry a full size 9 but i'm more worry free with the 9c and i am more then capable of making my shots with it, i also carry a full size mag for my reload.

but yes to answer your question i do notice a difference with that 1/4" missing.

If s&w did make a mid-size 9 i would to buy it but odds are until my situation changes i would still carry my 9c...like i said i am really happy with my 9c i have ran it through classes, training and i dry fire and run some drills with it every night, the thing is a laser and does its job.

as someone i know says...mission drives the gear and my mission is a little different than yours

Steve S.
09-15-10, 12:13
If they do make a midsize, I really hope they chop the grip length some. They failed to do this to the .45 midsize. In fact, the .45 midsize vs. fullsize is only 1/4" in length, which is taken off the barrel.

I hope they chop the grip just enough so the pinky is riding the mag plate (maybe knock 2 rounds out of the 9mm fullsize).

Until then, I'll pick up a 9c and put the FS slide on the 9c frame for my own midsize version. I understand this is possible. If not, feel free to correct me.

willowofwisp
09-15-10, 12:18
If they do make a midsize, I really hope they chop the grip length some. They failed to do this to the .45 midsize. In fact, the .45 midsize vs. fullsize is only 1/4" in length, which is taken off the barrel.

I hope they chop the grip just enough so the pinky is riding the mag plate (maybe knock 2 rounds out of the 9mm fullsize).

Until then, I'll pick up a 9c and put the FS slide on the 9c frame for my own midsize version. I understand this is possible. If not, feel free to correct me.

if you put your full size slide on a compact 9 you wll have a gap between the slide and frame where stuff could get into and cause a malfunction

Steve S.
09-15-10, 12:25
if you put your full size slide on a compact 9 you wll have a gap between the slide and frame where stuff could get into and cause a malfunction

Interesting...

Thought I read this combo was GTG on here a couple weeks back. Maybe it was vice versa, though I don't see the advantage in carrying a compact slide on a fullsize frame...

Any chance at a pic of the gap? It's not that I doubt you, I'm just interested in seeing it. I'm loving my M&P9 to the point I'm thinking of trading in a couple carry guns I've got for a couple 9c's for me and the wife.

But I would love a fullsize slide on the compact frame. Maybe the only route is getting another FS and having the grip and mags chopped. Sounds pricey... but then I could finally have my (M&)P19. :D

No rush on the pic either, if you even want to take one for me. If you can though, much appreciated. And thanks for the heads up.

willowofwisp
09-15-10, 12:38
Interesting...

Thought I read this combo was GTG on here a couple weeks back. Maybe it was vice versa, though I don't see the advantage in carrying a compact slide on a fullsize frame...

Any chance at a pic of the gap? It's not that I doubt you, I'm just interested in seeing it. I'm loving my M&P9 to the point I'm thinking of trading in a couple carry guns I've got for a couple 9c's for me and the wife.

But I would love a fullsize slide on the compact frame. Maybe the only route is getting another FS and having the grip and mags chopped. Sounds pricey... but then I could finally have my (M&)P19. :D

No rush on the pic either, if you even want to take one for me. If you can though, much appreciated. And thanks for the heads up.

No problem i can take a pic of you..i actually got a new camera d3000 a few weeks ago adn have been takign tons of pics, ill try and do it tomorrow.

You probably heard/saw people putting the full size 4.5" slide on the compact .45 which does work.

Dan Burwell does teh grip chop but he is near impossible to get ahold off...Bowie also does it but he is a 4 month wait, he chops the gun to take compact mags while Burwell chops and magazines about a half inch and they only 14-15 rounds i believe.

Steve S.
09-15-10, 13:01
No problem i can take a pic of you..i actually got a new camera d3000 a few weeks ago adn have been takign tons of pics, ill try and do it tomorrow.

You probably heard/saw people putting the full size 4.5" slide on the compact .45 which does work.

Dan Burwell does teh grip chop but he is near impossible to get ahold off...Bowie also does it but he is a 4 month wait, he chops the gun to take compact mags while Burwell chops and magazines about a half inch and they only 14-15 rounds i believe.

Ahh The Chopper! Perfect set up IMHO. I stumbled across that while trying to find stippling rates. I've done PMags and XTM panels, but don't have the cohones to do my M&P. Maybe I'll start with a backstrap or two and see how that goes.

Anyways, thanks ahead of time for taking those pics. It's more so that I can see if there is a way around it. In your opinion, would a compact light, such as a TLR3 provide enough cover or is the gap that large? I should probably just wait and see the pics....

Last question, any info on reducing the beavertail before I start a full out research on it? Something that can be done at home?

Thanks again sir.

willowofwisp
09-15-10, 13:07
Ahh The Chopper! Perfect set up IMHO. I stumbled across that while trying to find stippling rates. I've done PMags and XTM panels, but don't have the cohones to do my M&P. Maybe I'll start with a backstrap or two and see how that goes.

Anyways, thanks ahead of time for taking those pics. It's more so that I can see if there is a way around it. In your opinion, would a compact light, such as a TLR3 provide enough cover or is the gap that large? I should probably just wait and see the pics....

Last question, any info on reducing the beavertail before I start a full out research on it? Something that can be done at home?

Thanks again sir.

I think a tlr-3 may cover the gap but things coudl still nestle their way in the gun, i rather just chop the grip on my full size 9.

I would have a pro do the beaver tail reduction because sometimes there may be an air pocket inside the beaver tail r something along those lines.

John_Wayne777
09-15-10, 14:43
Given that the 9C is only slightly smaller than the G19 as it is, I sincerely doubt you'll ever see a double-stack 9mm sized between the FS 9 and the 9C. I think S&W could do very well with a thin, light single-stack 9mm roughly the size of the Walther PPS, though.

willowofwisp
09-15-10, 14:47
Given that the 9C is only slightly smaller than the G19 as it is, I sincerely doubt you'll ever see a double-stack 9mm sized between the FS 9 and the 9C. I think S&W could do very well with a thin, light single-stack 9mm roughly the size of the Walther PPS, though.

but since s&w either owns or has a controlling interest (not sure which) with walther i don't think they would make a product that would interfere with the walther's sale numbers..which I don't think are that high.