PDA

View Full Version : M&P9 / Raven Phantom questions.

Steve S.
09-14-10, 16:00
*I understand if this needs moved to equipment. I just wanted to hit a broader audience if possible.*

After putting it off (wasn't sure if I wanted a thumb safety - I didn't) I am ready to order the Raven Phantom. Being that their lead time tripled since I last looked at buying one for a different gun, I'd like to get my order out ASAP for my new M&P9.

Just a few questions.

1) Is there a big size difference between the Light carrier and standard models? Judging by pics, it looks like a big difference. Anyone have side-by-side pics?

2) Is the light carrier model easily concealable when OWB?

3) Which clips are the best choice for IWB? Are the pancake wings a good addition for OWB?

4) Can a M&P9c fit a Phantom designed for a M&P9 fs? Does the Light carrier option affect any possible compatibility? It appears to me, that the FS Phantom will carry the compact, but not vice-versa. Not sure if a Surefire messes things up though.

5) In the off chance event the Phantom cracks, does their replacement warranty follow the same lead times as current production times?

6) Professional opinions on the MD cut? I prefer a high thumb draw, but also prefer a comfortable holster.

7) Anyone wanna sell me theirs? :D

I'm sure most of these questions have been answered before, but after searching for a few hours, I'm still questioning which is the best route. Thanks a lot.

TomF
09-14-10, 16:32
I would encourage you to get the opinions of guys who have been using our gear, but I will provide some of my thoughts as well:

After putting it off (wasn't sure if I wanted a thumb safety - I didn't) I am ready to order the Raven Phantom. Being that their lead time tripled since I last looked at buying one for a different gun, I'd like to get my order out ASAP for my new M&P9.
You must have been looking about a year ago, because our lead time hasn't been one month since the November of 09. ;)

1) Is there a big size difference between the Light carrier and standard models? Judging by pics, it looks like a big difference. Anyone have side-by-side pics?

This isn't meant to sound like a curt answer, but the size difference in the holsters is about the differences of the gun without the light vs. the gun with the light. Here's a picture for you:

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1296/4606142631_68a0cf47f1.jpg

2) Is the light carrier model easily concealable when OWB?

This question, frankly, is impossible to answer. Every body type is different, and your location of the pistol, your clothing, etc will all play a factor. I'll say this - you'll have a tough time finding a light compatible holster that conceals better than the Phantom.

3) Which clips are the best choice for IWB? Are the pancake wings a good addition for OWB?

I prefer the IWB Soft Loops for inside the waistband carry. I don't think the Pancake wings are necessary, the holster is built from the ground up to be as tight to the body as possible.

4) Can a M&P9c fit a Phantom designed for a M&P9 fs? Does the Light carrier option affect any possible compatibility? It appears to me, that the FS Phantom will carry the compact, but not vice-versa. Not sure if a Surefire messes things up though.

A non-LC holster for the MP9 Full Size will also carry the Compact. A light compatible version will not carry the compact, as your Surefire will not fit on the compact.

5) In the off chance event the Phantom cracks, does their replacement warranty follow the same lead times as current production times?

No. Warranty claims are placed at the very top of the production list when we have them.

6) Professional opinions on the MD cut? I prefer a high thumb draw, but also prefer a comfortable holster.

It depends on where you want to carry. A neutral cant holster works best worn OWB and at about the 2 oclock position for a right handed shooter. A slight forward cant typically conceals better at the 3:30-4 oclock position. I prefer the standard cut myself. I shoot with a high grip and thumbs forward. I've worn a Phantom for years and have never felt the body shield was impeding my draw at all.

7) Anyone wanna sell me theirs? :D

Sure! Place an order and in 12-13 weeks we'll have one out to you. :D

If you have any other questions, please feel free to post them here or email me directly.

Thanks,

Tom

Steve S.
09-14-10, 16:53
Thanks a ton, Tom. I don't find the lead time unreasonable, especially considering the lead times on a quality leather holster. I was originally suggested your product I would say about 10 months ago. I'm almost positive when I called you guys, I was told about 30 days. Regardless, congratulations on the increased business. I went with a Safariland :confused: ....

Anyways, not going that route again. Nice holster for IDPA, but not so much for carry. After handling a Phantom about a month ago, I don't see myself ever buying any other type of OWB.

The size of the light carrier makes sense, it just seemed all the pics I had seen made the size seem much larger, despite the light. I assumed it either just looked that way, or it was to help spread the extra load weight out. The LC size is very reasonable when set side-by-side.

I just recently read that the Surefire fits the M&P45c. Maybe it was in reference to the MidSize. Don't own the 9c yet, but have a feeling I will shortly.

I'll get my order in tonight. Thanks again for helping narrow it down.

I find myself wanting to order both models....

LHQuattro
09-14-10, 17:10
RE question #5, if you really use your Phantoms hard, it will eventually crack. I've been using RCS Phantoms exclusively for IDPA since 2008. They are excellent holsters, but after about 500 draws a week for a couple months, cracks started developing slowly at the trigger guard. Retention was still adequate for about 4-5 months of this abuse.
RCS was great to deal with. They fixed me up multiple times until the bright idea finally dawned....why not just use the next thickness up in Kydex? So, I've been using the same holster now for my M&P for over a year now, god only knows how many draws.

My advice, if you're going to compete with it, or practise a ton....the slightly thicker material is worth it. Its still way thinner than Blade Tech. Another really cool thing....most other kydex holsters that I've seen tend to crack quickly at the belt loop/attachment point....quickly deadlining the holster. With RCS, attachments, if they ever crack/break (none of mine have), the attachments are really cheap to replace. When Phantoms finally do start cracking (at the trigger guard in my experience), it takes a long time before it looses retention.

Mjolnir
09-14-10, 21:57
Thanks for the good info, Tom Fineis! You guys have an extremely snug fitting, extremely comfortable product.