PDA

View Full Version : Selecting a duty round.

_rab_
09-14-10, 16:29
I am coming to you in my journey for the right 5.56 round for me, hoping that you can help point me towards the right load.

I have studied on this forum for a good while now, I've read through "5.56 mm Duty Loads", but need some assistance in selecting a load from the recommended list. My rifle is a 16" AR platform, 1 in 9 twist, with a 4MOA red dot. I'm trying to keep it simple, and have only one round for general use. The foreseen purpose is Self/Home defense, and perhaps light hunting, possibly a deer or hog, but most likely nothing larger than a coyote or dog.

I purchased some 5.56 Hornady TAP, however, due to it's lack of availability to civilians I am wondering if there is a better selection.

I live in Texas, so I am not subject to any brain-dead governmental hollow-point restrictions. My main criteria is accurate within the ability of a 4moa dot, (though I could scope the AR some day, so good 300yd accuracy is all I ever anticipate my skills being able to make use of), general effectiveness through tissue and barriers, civilian availability, and cost.
Since I would prefer to have only one general use/combat worthy round, should it be a barrier capable round? (as barrier capable as 5.56 can ever be... ;) )

I intend to take Doc's advice and purchase a large amount of the selected ammo, function check said ammo, purchase training from qualified sources, and practice.

Thanks in advance.
Rab

RWK
09-14-10, 19:17
Other than TAP 5.56, I'm not sure why you'd be unable to find TAP rifle ammo. Between one of the three vendors below you can find pretty much any flavor of it:

ammunitiontogo.com
sgammo.com
grafs.com

Personally, I like Black Hills 68-gr match .223 in 1/9 guns.

Belmont31R
09-14-10, 19:37
Since you have a 1/9 I would look at the Federal 64 grain bonded duty/LE round.

I know Doc has given it high praises, and it appears to have all the qualities you seek.

There are lots of non-bonded Sp rounds out there too but they are not as tough at the bonded Federal rounds.

I think it may be easier to get the Trophy Bonded Bear Claw (TBBC) rounds, though. The only place in person Ive seen sell the Federal Tactical loads (bonded 64 grain) is at a cop shop, and it was VERY expensive.

RWK
09-14-10, 19:54
The man's having a hard time finding TAP and you're steering him towards Federal bonded?! :laugh: Assuming one can even find it, it's what, upwards of $2 a round?

Belmont31R
09-14-10, 19:58
The man's having a hard time finding TAP and you're steering him towards Federal bonded?! :laugh: Assuming one can even find it, it's what, upwards of $2 a round?

For HD/occasional hunting you only really need a few mags + much cheaper back ups.

I also mentioned there are other ammo types like the TBBC which would work well, too, are easier to find, and probably cheaper.

_rab_
09-14-10, 20:40
No trouble finding TAP .223, just the 5.56.
I know it's not a huge difference, but look for Molon's testing on the two of them. There's a large enough difference for me to prefer the 5.56.

Anyways, I'm not looking for a 'do everything perfectly round', just one round I can buy alot of, that'll work for everything I need.

The testing I've done shows that 75gr TAP stabalizes out of my 1/9 twist barrel at 100 yards. Maybe I should just stick with TAP .223, as I'm seeing it at 14.95 for 20 rounds. Most of the other options I see on Doc's list are more.

DocGKR
09-15-10, 01:07
Good general purpose loads for a 1/9 twist include the 55 & 62 gr Federal bonded JSP Tactical loads (LE223T1 & LE223T3), along with the Nosler 60 gr Partition JSP, Remington 62 gr bonded JSP, Speer 55 & 64 gr Gold Dot JSP's (and identically constructed Federal 62 gr Fusion JSP), the Barnes all copper 55 gr TSX OTM, and possibly the new Federal 62 gr barrier OTM (T556TNB1).

RWK
09-15-10, 07:15
Maybe I should just stick with TAP .223, as I'm seeing it at 14.95 for 20 rounds.

For the uses you've described, I'd say that .223 would do you just fine.

_rab_
09-15-10, 14:45
Do all .223 and 5.56 JSP rounds exhibit feeding issues after 200-300 rounds, as you have previously stated? Or is that an issue with only certain rounds, or older model AR platforms?