PDA

View Full Version : Sighting in a CT grip on my m&p 9c

willowofwisp
09-14-10, 18:34
Question,

I sighted in the grip on my m&p 9c this afternoon...and well i choose a distance of 4 yards, at this distance the dot is just on top of my front sight and the bullet lands juts beneath or touching the dot.

I choose this distance because i figured at a distance of 4 yards or less would have the highest possibility of me not being able to push out and gain a perfect sight picture...i know the grips come from the factory sighted in at 50 feet and of course if i used that same sighting and shot a target at 9-15 feet away my bullet would be off.

so do you think this distance of 4 yards is a good choice? or woudl you go farther out or closer?

LHQuattro
09-14-10, 18:44
Go farther....at 4 yds, you'll be fine. By about 10 yds, you're going to start getting a pretty hefty deviation. What happens if you have to take a shot at 20 yds? Shooting at distance is already hard enough, without automatically entering 5" of sighting error into the equation.

Better to sight in at 25 (or farther if you can). If zeroed at say 25 yds....and you'll never be more than approx 1" off from 1 yd to 30. The farther out you zero, the less you'll have to worry about (within reason....50 yds is within reason, 200 yds probably isn't).

willowofwisp
09-14-10, 18:50
Go farther....at 4 yds, you'll be fine. By about 10 yds, you're going to start getting a pretty hefty deviation. What happens if you have to take a shot at 20 yds? Shooting at distance is already hard enough, without automatically entering 5" of sighting error into the equation.

Better to sight in at 25 (or farther if you can). If zeroed at say 25 yds....and you'll never be more than approx 1" off from 1 yd to 30. The farther out you zero, the less you'll have to worry about (within reason....50 yds is within reason, 200 yds probably isn't).

I don't think i would use the laser out to 20 yards though, at that point i would rely on my iron sights, the laser is a tool in my tool box and wasn't meant to replace my sights.

my main objective with the laser was to max hits on a target from retention or if for some reason i can't use my sights.

I think my best bet too is to check how far off hte laser is at 5 yards, 10 yards and 15 yards and then find a middel ground

LHQuattro
09-14-10, 18:52
nice choice by the way. I've got a fullsize M&P9 with CTC on them. That set up rocks. My wife drools. I see a M&P9c coming soon to replace her G19.

LHQuattro
09-14-10, 18:58
They aren't a replacement for sights, but to augment at night.....those things rule. You'd be amazed what can be done at range in low light with laser grips. Give it a try sometime. They make very hard to shoot small guns way way more capable.

My point in zeroing long is that is gives you the full capability of the laser....with no downside up close. 1" or less deviation at any reasonable range, whether contact distance or 30 yds.

Here's a good little primer, better put than anything I'd write....

http://vickerstactical.com/tactical-tips/crimson-trace-lasergrips/

keysersoze
09-14-10, 20:32
I always just sighted my pistols in the 7 or 10 yard distance (this was limited by the indoor range where we do the sighting in) so I'll see if I can find a nice outdoor range to sight my laser along these lines...thanks for posting the links!