PDA

View Full Version : Cheapest/legal way to ship handgun?

rushca01
09-14-10, 18:50
I am running into a bunch of rumors of what you can and can't do in regards to shipping a handgun as an individual without an FFL. What is the easiest/cheapest/legal way to do it? I am shipping to an FFL that I traded guns with.

Hmac
09-14-10, 20:23
You can ship to an FFL, but you have to use common carrier. You have to declare it as a firearm, but you don't have to label the package as a firearm and they can't make you. Note that UPS likely will require you do that from a hub or depot, not the local UPS store or contract shipper. Don't know about FedEx.

I don't have a UPS hub around here so I just have my FFL ship for me if and when necessary.

Omega Man
09-14-10, 20:46
I have shipped guns from a postal store that ships via Fedex. You will need to show a copy of the receiver's FFL, and show the pistol is not loaded. Fedex will only ship a firearm 1 day air, so it can be expensive, depending how far its traveling. The UPS store in my area wont ship firearms, and they direct you to do so, thru a UPS hub.

rljatl
09-14-10, 21:47
By far, the least expensive way is to take it to your FFL and ask them to ship it through the US Postal Service to a receiving FFL on the other end. If you do regular business with an FFL, they might not charge a handling fee and only charge you for the postage, which is relatively cheap.

VolGrad
09-15-10, 07:38
Carriers like UPS and FedEx do require Priority Overnight for handguns. I have sent long guns by other methods with them.

I believe you can ship long guns via USPS as an individual but someone else will have to confirm this.

UPS and FedEx are NOT cheap but if you send handguns legally it is really the only way. It isn't worth fines, jail time, or unpaid claims if your firearm is stolen in transit (and you didn't send it per their requirements).

FedEx usually costs me between $45-65 to ship a handgun. It sucks.

Luke_Y
09-15-10, 07:51
By far, the least expensive way is to take it to your FFL and ask them to ship it through the US Postal Service to a receiving FFL on the other end. If you do regular business with an FFL, they might not charge a handling fee and only charge you for the postage, which is relatively cheap.

^^ What he said. If you ship yourself it will have to go UPS/FedEx next day air $50+/-.

If your local FFL charges a small or no handling/transfer fee, and ships via US Postal Service (FFL can use post office for a handgun), it can work out significantly cheaper.

Mark71
09-15-10, 07:59

This is by far the cheapest way to go. When I need to ship out a handgun I drop it off at my FFL and he ships it out for me via USPS for $20.

willowofwisp
09-15-10, 14:30
The cheapest way to go and posted previously woudl be going through your FFL and letting him ship it to another FFL through teh USPS office.

but if you need to ship it yourself then UPS/FEDEX, i find that the super saver shipper (delivered by 3pm) works best and is cheapest, it cost me 75$ to ship my les baer from michgan to cali and that was insured at 1400$ and teh box wasn't that small

rushca01
09-15-10, 16:33
Thanks for the replies. Ending up going to an FFL who shipped it for 25 flat. No charge for a transfer, just shipping. I was very surprised by this as normally they aren't cheap.

Chuck
09-15-10, 16:49
The USPS charges about $1 per $100 for insurance.
UPS and FedEx about $.70.
This can be very relevant when shipping an expensive handgun.
Shipping anything of value without full insurance is bad economics.

barca101
09-15-10, 16:56
Quick question gentlemen, if I'm sending only the frame to have it stippled, do I have to notify FedEx or UPS that I'm sending a firearm?

C4IGrant
09-15-10, 16:59
Quick question gentlemen, if I'm sending only the frame to have it stippled, do I have to notify FedEx or UPS that I'm sending a firearm?

Yes, as that IS the firearm.

C4

Alpha Sierra
09-15-10, 17:32

This ^

VolGrad
09-16-10, 08:38
Thanks for the replies. Ending up going to an FFL who shipped it for 25 flat. No charge for a transfer, just shipping. I was very surprised by this as normally they aren't cheap.

$25 is very good. I only have 2 dealers out of a half dozen locally that will even do transfers. Both charge $50 flat to send and that covers the FFL fee and actual shipping. I'd just as soon send it myself and get it there quicker for that price.

Palmguy
09-16-10, 08:51
I have shipped guns from a postal store that ships via Fedex. You will need to show a copy of the receiver's FFL, and show the pistol is not loaded. Fedex will only ship a firearm 1 day air, so it can be expensive, depending how far its traveling. The UPS store in my area wont ship firearms, and they direct you to do so, thru a UPS hub.

You won't necessarily have to do that, it depends on who/what you are dealing with. The UPS hub I go to doesn't generally seem to care...they've never asked me to open a package (I always print out the label ahead of time and have the box fully ready to go) and just glance at the FFL/ezCheck printout occasionally.

My FFL will ship via USPS for his normal transfer fee of $20 plus actual shipping. That's the way I'll go in the future as that is cheaper than UPS/FedEx overnight.

officerX
02-06-18, 12:35

Holy necro thread bump, Batman!

I wish I had read this thread about 3 hours ago. I just shipped a pistol to Arkansas from Kentucky via FedEx and it cost me $82.00!! :cray: And prior to that I had just been at my FFL picking up a lower I ordered. I should have known to search M4C first. Live and learn.