PDA

View Full Version : Has anybody found Angie's list helpful?

YVK
09-14-10, 22:50
I guess I know where to turn for objective reports on AR, AARs etc...:D

For things of domestic use, what customer reviews sources do you guys use?
I use CNET for electronics and that has been accurate, but other than that, researching stuff takes a lot of time. Any opinions on Angie's list?

Coperator
09-15-10, 00:52
It was of little use for me. But to make matters worse they called my cell phone over and over inquiring on any companies I used and my feedback. I dropped them and put on the do not call list.

MarkG
09-15-10, 07:34
Take aminute and read the their privacy policy. Wait, let me sum it up for you...

To use our service, you have to give us your name, address, phone number and e-mail. We reserve the right to give it to anyone at any time.

Data mining is still a very profitable business.

usmcvet
09-15-10, 07:42
There commercials make me laugh. Hey if I was a plumber I would walk a little dog too if I was still on the clock!

Sounds like a place to run away from with their privacy policy.

500grains
09-15-10, 11:59
I want to put a comment on Angie's list, but the contractor will probably sue me if my comment accurately summarizes his work.

68fan
09-16-10, 16:15
I've been happy with Consumer's Checkbook (http://www.checkbook.org/), and have used them to find a good plumber, electrician, roofer, etc.

I had considered Angie's List, but heard the comparison (I don't recall where) that for useful information in a given area, CC is an inch wide and a mile deep, while AL is a mile wide and an inch deep.

Where I live, CC generally has plenty of good/bad references (especially for trades), but my guess is that if you're not in a significant subscriber (i.e., highly populated) area, then you may not find as much relevant content, hence the "inch wide" comments.

If they offer it, perhaps you can get a trial subscription to see if they adequately cover what you need.

HK45
09-17-10, 15:11
We have been burned by their recommendations in the past. Way too easy for people to game the system by providing false recommendations.