PDA

View Full Version : PMAG fitment

dubb-1
07-09-07, 14:58
I thought may be helpful to compile a list of gear that readily accepts PMAGS, since it has been oft posted that they don't fit in some single and double mag pouches. The few items I had readily available to test all worked out pretty well. I would add that those of us that actually get down and dirty may have a better fit in the end as the nylon gets worn or broken it.

Single pouches:
TT single shingles- Fit on new pouches is such that you definitely notice the finger grooves or ridges upon mag insertion and deployment.

Eagle M4 (standard, NOT FB)- Fit is very similar to the TTs listed above.

Double pouches:

Eagle M4- Though the cordura is quite generous of this line of pouches, when new, the elastic really cinches down the pouches. That's what it was designed to do, and it is a good thing. However, when coupled with the ridges of the PMAG, it means that this isn't an optimal combination when new. If time is taken, and due dilligence is done a tthe range, good things will happen. But you will have to work.

EGL- In both the Ape Stomper and Monkey Stomper configuration, the generous cordura swallows the PMAGs whole. The adjustable shock cord retention ensures a good custom fit. I found that my new pouches and well worn pouches were both conducive to good retention and rapid deployment. Even if there was an issue, this is custom gear, and Darrin will certainly build to suit.

SOE- Fit is snug in standard models, though still useable. Because of the lack of the elastic on the Eagle offerings, these pouches work a bit better when new.

Other:

HSGI- In a category alone because of their affinity for triple mag, single shingles, the HSGI offerings will not satisfactorily allow usage of three PMAGS where it does permit usage of three USGIs. It will allow one, even two, but there is no way anyone is going to use three PMAGS efficiently, at least when new. HSGI incorporates shock cord in two double loops on most of it's gear which cinches down the load, but unlike EGL, it is not adjustable. With some work, the HSGIs can be made to work, but you will have to pay in sweat.

I will gladly add to this list, but this pretty well covers the manufacturers that I use, and am willing to offer. Each of these manufacturers works hard to bring good gear to market, and as such, I am sure that specific PMAG offerings will become available if truly necessary. My experience has shown that though some aren't conducive to wroking perfectly as PMAG pouches out of the box, they will all break in and allow usage of PMAGs. Quite honestly, if it wasn't for the finger grooves, ridges, waffles, or whatever you want to call them, these mags would work much better in more applications. However, those grooves do allow a more positive purchase on the mags with gloves, sweat, and blood on the hands, so I consider them a positive addition (not to mention the fact that they probably add to the overall rigidity too the structure of the PMAG).

eggroll
07-09-07, 16:32
Thanks for the plug for EGL Damian!

I guess this is more reason why I need a basic load of PMAGS Bueller Bueller? :D

Stephen_H
07-10-07, 15:27
They are a perfect fit in our double mag pouch without any modification.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v342/stephen_101st/Gear/ATSM4withPMAGs.jpg