PDA

View Full Version : Question on optics

86K5
09-15-10, 07:59
So if you have seen my other post, " How did I do so far", you know I have finished a new build for me. RRA upper and lower, DD 1/7" twist 16" barrel, A2 stock, RRA trigger group which will soon to be swapped out for a better set. Nothing special but it handles nicely. Now I have questions about optics, kind of. The front sight base is F height so will any of the standard rear flip ups work? I am either looking at the Magpul or the Troy though the Magpul looks kind of short. Also, I was thinking a red dot optic, either an Eotec or Aimpoint but I would like some type of magnification for distance shooting. I guess since it's a flattop I can do both so what would be a decent, say, 4 to 6 power scope?

Ultimately, I will use it in a few practical rifle and carbine courses and maybe for coyote.

joshua79109
09-15-10, 10:27
I use my carbines for 3 gun, personal protection, and coyotes/bobcats, etc.....

I run a few different styles. I have two I versions I would pick up for personal protection. One is irons only and the other has an Aimpoint w/ 3X magnifier on a LaRue flip mount. I use that set up for everything and it serves me well.

Edited to add: With the Aimpoints I run a Troy Folding sight to co-witness on a couple of carbines and an ARMS on another and all of those have held up well for me.

Here is another one I have set up, but wouldn't personally grab for personal protection - I recently set up a carbine with an inexpensive 1-4 (Millett DMS-1) and like it so far for coyotes. I only have about 1600 rounds on it now, but it has held up. I've tried to use it for 3 gun, but for me it's a lot slower up close than the Aimpoint.

As long as you use good mounts like LaRue, you would be able to swap from a magnified scope to an Aimpoint if that serves your purposes better.

TehLlama
09-15-10, 21:35
For now, you'd be well served (certainly not saying this is the only option) by:
Aimpoint (ML3) or Aimpoint H-1/T-1
OR EOTech XPS 2-0/3-0
TROY BUIS
LaRue, Bobro, ADM Mount (or go with the OPTG XPS)

You can add a magnifier later (good addition for Coyote, or you can find a daytime scope and get a mount for that) - but a simple magnifier will work great.

Or, you can go low powered variable - the Vortex Viper PST and TR24 from Trijicon come to mind.

I can't decide on these, so I have an H-1, T-1, TR24, and a PST on order.

ra2bach
09-15-10, 21:58
I can't decide on these, so I have an H-1, T-1, TR24, and a PST on order.

uh, dude... do you want to be my Dad?...

Hmac
09-16-10, 00:21
I have been pretty much an Eotech guy, most recently bought an OPMOD. At $445 (10% discount) for the thing with riser, side buttons, and a lever QD mount it's a good deal. I've never had an issue with Eotech reliability and for me battery life is/was a non-issue. Nevertheless, I just bought a T-1 on a Larue tall mount and so far like it a lot for its size and weight. I prefer lower third, so all my optics are the same height and that's good because the G23 FTS is the least expensive quality magnifier and mine is mountable from rifle to rifle and works great with the T-1. I use it when I need long distance, mostly sighting in.

A-Bear680
09-16-10, 15:55
Might not hurt to look at the Aimpoint C3. It could be the best deal for the money for most civilian use. About all that C3 gives up ( in return for the $ savings ) are deep dive and NV capabilities.
We have two C3 's ( and 2 Aimpoint Micro's ) at our house. We can't afford decent NV gear , my wife can just barely swim , and all I do these days is snorkle , so the C3 works fine.
YMMV.

A-Bear680
09-16-10, 16:05
Might not hurt.....
...( Snip for Brevity )....
..... the C3 works fine.
YMMV.

Magnifier ?
Consider looking around for a 2nd hand LaRue Po'Boy combo magnifier ( 2 /1/2x ) & mount.
Run a search for Po'Boy and Hensoldt ( sp ? ) from Wetzlar.

Belmont31R
09-16-10, 16:08
The thing about magnifiers is they also increase the dot size. So while you can see the target better the dot still covers the same area. Not all that good if you are trying to make a precise shot.

If someone wants magnification, and the ability to make precision shots while retaining at CQB capability the best option is a 1-4X scope that has a day time visible reticle suitable for rapid engagement. You can turn off the illumination, and use the reticle for longer precision shots.

Hmac
09-16-10, 16:52
True. The magnified Eotech dot is nice and crisp but the magnified T-1 dot is pretty misshapen. Even so, it still allows 3-4 MOA accuracy (in my hands-prolly better in others) at 100 yds and better than that at 50 so the magnifier has been a useful tool for me. I virtually never shoot longer than 100 yds.

Belmont31R
09-16-10, 16:58
True. The magnified Eotech dot is nice and crisp but the magnified T-1 dot is pretty misshapen. Even so, it still allows 3-4 MOA accuracy (in my hands-prolly better in others) at 100 yds and better than that at 50 so the magnifier has been a useful tool for me. I virtually never shoot longer than 100 yds.

I can shoot that or better without a magnifier. Just have to put the dot in the same place each shot. Try some different targets out because some of them its very hard to keep the dot in the same place.

Other ones with a traditional reticle it can be hard to put the cross hairs in the same place.

One good one for RDS shooting is a 2" square inside a 5" box. At 100 yards a 4" dot (4MOA) should be side the box.... http://www.targetz.com/targetzlib/10116.pdf

shootist~
09-16-10, 17:22
Ultimately, I will use it in a few practical rifle and carbine courses and maybe for coyote.

Based on the above, a 1-4 variable fits the bill - assuming the practical rifle includes some longer range work. 4X - with a suitable reticle - will get you to 500 Meters or so. The PST was designed with this in mind.

For In-House/CQB use the Aimpoint wins.

A more complete battery will include different options; i.e., both of the above and possibly a long range precision optic as well.

For a single setup, someone with good vision and no astigmatism issues can do very well to moderate distances (200+ meters) with an Aimpoint. Older eyes and/or astigmatism issues are probably better served with the low power variable option.

Hmac
09-16-10, 17:39
I can shoot that or better without a magnifier. Just have to put the dot in the same place each shot.

Ah. So that's how it's done. Dot in the same place each shot. I will remember that.