PDA

View Full Version : Israeli body armor

johnlee
09-15-10, 08:12
Someone on another forum asked about this... http://cgi.ebay.com/Kevlar-Bulletproof-VEST-Bullet-Proof-Body-Armor-IIIA-3A-/200519791323?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2eafe932db

Plates I am looking into.... http://cgi.ebay.com/2-SAPI-Ceramic-Body-Armor-Bullet-Proof-Vest-Plate-III-3-/200511342266?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2eaf6846ba

Here's the companies site.... http://www.israeli-weapons.com/

This is what I really want....http://www.israeli-weapons.com/weapons/vehicles/tanks/magach/Magach_7.htm haha, I wish!

I know, don't trust armor sales on ebay but these are new from a company (which I'm not familiar with) with their own site not just selling on ebay.

Anyone know anything about the company?
Why so inexpensive?

If reputable I may buy a couple back up plates or for training so not to destroy more pricey plates ( I brake stuff good). I'm not going to suggest anything anyway to anyone until I know more about the company.

Thanks guys, and sorry if this has been brought up already but I can't find much info on these.

GroundLabTactical
09-15-10, 22:27
I wouldn't do it. Not if my life is behind them.

I would go with well known US Manufactures i.e. Paraclete, PointBlank, Ceradyne, Etc. Look for something along the Balcs cut line and add in plates on top depending on your situation.

Also check out Bulletproofme.com as a place to start if your looking to be cost conservative.

These are not NIJ rated neither are US mil. (US kit is not NIJ Rated but can be relied on to surpass NIJ Spec) However now your looking at a foreign site that is making its own armor and claiming it as a certain nij level but it hasn't even been tested. So I guess I can take their word when I get shot and hope they where right?

I'm not sure why your so stuck on Israeli gear? It would be best if you would state what the kit would be used for.
i.e. SHTF, POLICE, MIL, "Training", or ?

TimW
09-16-10, 00:04
There are frve major manufacturers of armor in Israel, at least when I was importing it a few years ago:

Achidatex
Export Erez (export arm of Achidatex)
Rabintex
Kata
Marom-Dolphin

Some of these used to have ratings from the NIJ, and not just say "NIJ equivalent". I have no idea what that status is, esp with the new *.06 NIJ standard.

These companies supply armor to the IDF, so I wouldn't be too hesitant about buying those 'brands' from the more well-known Israeli gear suppliers.

While it might be attractive to go "inexpensive" on armor, if you're going to put that little value on your life, go to bulletproofme.com

johnlee
09-16-10, 01:57
Sounds like a no go.

Someone on another site (mrlockandload.com)asked about the armor in question on an armor thread I started. They want something for shtf/wrol, most likely just sitting in a closet most if not all of it's life. I know nothing about it so I asked here as there are people that know more about armor than myself.

I own several sets of soft armor as I've done security for over 15 years. My main work vest now is pointblank IIIa. I own a set of ceramic plates from years ago and not sure if they are cracked as I have used them for training alot and have went prone alot ,even at 10% body fat I'm still over 225, just not sure if I trust them still.

I need plates for training and security work. I may go back to armor car work and I will never do it again without rifle plates. I have an old db fast attack carrier to wear over my soft armor. Weight isn't an issue but I don't like how thick my plates are.

Not going with the Israeli, what about these from DSG ?... http://dsgarms.com/ProductInfo/IBAIA0035B.aspx I can't find much info on these either.

Thanks guys

JSantoro
09-16-10, 13:41
Ask DocGKR. Check some of the stickied threads and others in the Terminal Ballistics subforum to get a read on known-good examples of hard and soft armor.

GotAmmo
09-16-10, 20:15
There are frve major manufacturers of armor in Israel, at least when I was importing it a few years ago:

Achidatex
Export Erez (export arm of Achidatex)
Rabintex
Kata
Marom-Dolphin

Some of these used to have ratings from the NIJ, and not just say "NIJ equivalent". I have no idea what that status is, esp with the new *.06 NIJ standard.

These companies supply armor to the IDF, so I wouldn't be too hesitant about buying those 'brands' from the more well-known Israeli gear suppliers.

While it might be attractive to go "inexpensive" on armor, if you're going to put that little value on your life, go to bulletproofme.com

And Rabintex was part of the ACH helmet recall thatwent Army wide.. so maybe its safe to just stay away from Israel

TimW
09-17-10, 01:01
And Rabintex was part of the ACH helmet recall thatwent Army wide.. so maybe its safe to just stay away from Israel

I did not know that. What was the reason for the recall?

johnlee
09-17-10, 02:07
Ask DocGKR. Check some of the stickied threads and others in the Terminal Ballistics subforum to get a read on known-good examples of hard and soft armor.

Do you mean over at lightfighter? I've read many of Docs test results,nothing on the DSG plates over there.

I may just have to keep saving and hope for money back in taxes and just get some better regarded and tested plates. I would like a pair of AMI tac3s but the price is pretty far up there on a security guard salary. To bad the company wouldn't do the right thing and at leaste pay for part of the cost, they won't.

GotAmmo
09-17-10, 10:35
I did not know that. What was the reason for the recall?

shotty work and material used.... the alaract put out by DA was saying they were filing criminal charges against the companies that manufactured the ACH's. there is a thread somewhere around here where it was discussed along with companies