PDA

View Full Version : Hiking in "forest", I spot these guys

WillBrink
09-15-10, 08:17
The town forest is right behind my property and like to take a quick hike around. It's not very big, I recall approx 300 acres, but there's deer, coyotes, hawks, etc in there, they usually bolt from a long distance when they see people.

This time I spotted a young buck, doe, and and few fawns, and used the trees as cover to get up to them for the hell of it and snap a pic.

I literally could have taken one with the CCW I had. :cool::D

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b374/willbrink/P1030568.jpg

chadbag
09-15-10, 10:23
The town forest is right behind my property and like to take a quick hike around. It's not very big, I recall approx 300 acres, but there's deer, coyotes, hawks, etc in there, they usually bolt from a long distance when they see people.

This time I spotted a young buck, doe, and and few fawns, and used the trees as cover to get up to them for the hell of it and snap a pic.

I literally could have taken one with the CCW I had. :cool::D

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b374/willbrink/P1030568.jpg

Cool! Last year while walking in Zions National Park along the river walk that goes up the canyon we got within about 20 feet or closer of some mule deer. Was cool. A couple months ago we had a little church grill night up above Solitude ski area (above the lodge area and across the road) on some private land one of the guys at church is connected with. While we were up there, in a clearing past some trees, we saw a big Moose. We got to within 75 feet of it before we did not dare go any further. That was pretty cool too.

Deer around here seem to get a copy of the hunting calendar published by the state. When it is not hunting season, you can almost walk right up to them. And we get them a lot down here in the valley (SL Valley). When hunting season comes around they disappear and cannot be found.

Belmont31R
09-15-10, 10:36
We have tons of deer in my neighborhood, and I live in a track house area. They eat the shit out of my plants, and I come close to hitting one every now and then. They bolt out of the alleys, and into the road.

Ive been out on the porch, and they they walk right through my yard. Theres a nice buck here that grows a nice 8PT rack every year.

09-15-10, 11:24
I see does and fawn consistently every time I hike; about 4-5 times a week. They don't even seem bothered by me since I whistle and talk to them. I guess they figure I'm not a threat if I'm being so loud. Wait 'til hunting season opens.:p I did see one with mange last week.

Heavy Metal
09-15-10, 11:55
Dude, I ran into some I could have taken with a large rock, much less my CCW. They were totally oblivious to my presence. The last was a young spike on the AT. I lecture it from 10 feet away about getting wise before hunting season opens in a few weeks.

I have seen some places you could take them with a bag of Doritos and a Ball-Peen Hammer.