PDA

View Full Version : Going to Girdwood Alaska next week. Last minute vacation. Any ideas?

The Dumb Gun Collector
09-15-10, 21:53
Hey guys,

Going to Girdwood Alaska the day after tomorrow. It is a resort so we might just sit on our butts. We are going to be there a week. How hard is it to get a flight around Denali from Anchorage on short notice? Other tips?

13F3OL7
09-16-10, 03:18
I'm not sure about flights from Anchorage up to Denali. My suggestion would be to rent a car and drive up. It would probably be a long drive, but the scenery is beautiful. If you're wanting to fly though, the nearest airport I know of is here in Fairbanks. From here to Denali is only about an hour and a half drive max. Seward is south of Anchorage a bit and I know there are glacier tour cruises you can book there. If you have any questions shoot me a pm and I'll give you my cell number and try to answer the best I can. Do bring some warm clothing though. Low temps are starting to dip into the mid to low 30's.

ETA: I'm not familiar much with what's in or around Anchorage. It's too big for my tastes and seems kind of dirty from the few times I've been there. Not that Fairbanks is the best city in the world or anything, but it is where I make my home.