PDA

View Full Version : Question BattleComp vs KAC TripleTap

wileecoyote
09-16-10, 16:57
I have a question for anyone out there using these. I live in a ban state and have to permanently attach any muzzle brake (no flashhiders allowed) that I get. I have a SR15 and was able to get a KAC TT for it awhile back but haven't had it attached yet. It seemed at the time to be the best option even though it was pricey.

But I keep looking at those tiny vent slits and thinking how impossible it's going to be to clean, and since I can't take it off it seems like it might be an enormous PITA. I just ordered a new rifle and got the BABC for it but am now thinking it might be easier to clean\live with vs the KAC one on the SR15.

On the flipside the KAC is nice just to keep it all in the family.

Any words of wisdom from M4C land?

Belmont31R
09-16-10, 17:04
Ive bought 3 TT's, and sold one so far. I, too, have an SR15 and it wears a TT.

If you already have one I would just keep it. They both work about the same.

Ive really never had to clean my TT on my SR15, and it has over 14k rounds through it. Ive scrubbed it a few times with Carbon Cutter but thats it. The slots are still fine.

wileecoyote
09-16-10, 17:24
Ok, that's all I needed to hear! I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to have fireballs blazing out of the front if I didn't keep it super clean.

We seem to have some similar tastes, I just got a LMT 308! I've been following your posts with a lot of interest, I can't wait to get mine.

Thanks for the response

Dos Cylindros
09-16-10, 17:31
My TT has also not really gotten very dirty, though it only has about 500 through it. On a 16" barrel, the flash is not much of a concern, but can be on SBR's. I shot mine the other day in a very dimly light indoor range and there was almost no flash at all shooting 55 graim PMC Bronze. My buddies breakout on the other hand had a quite a bit more flash.

TehLlama
09-16-10, 21:28
InShaAllah I'll have both and be able to do a comparison soon.

M4Fundi
09-16-10, 22:14

Look forward to the comparison that would be really great. I'm sure they're both great, but nice to see any differences

seb5
09-16-10, 22:15
I'm definitely interested in this thread and tried to do as much reading as possible before buying 4 battlecomps. They are expensive but not in the way 4 KACS would be. Even my KAC SR-15 wears a battlecomp! Over $400.00 just seems out of my league no matter how good they are. For the difference I could buy a case of 5.56.

BrentC
09-16-10, 22:17
i was thinking about this the other day. very interested in this. but i would go with the TTP if i already had it

wileecoyote
09-16-10, 23:46
I got on a waiting list for the KAC and actually never expected to see one, then out of the blue Grant writes ands says it's in. Figured I was committed at that point. I literally bought a new Troy Claymore about 10 mins before Grant wrote me, this after waiting months for KAC to do another run of them. So I have a Claymore laying around too if anyone is interested.

Also if I didn't have a KAC rifle then I probably wouldn't have dropped the cash on it. But I figured it'd be cool to keep it all the same and at the time I didn't see too many other alternatives. I also told myself "this is my last rifle so why not...."

I'm curious to hear some other observations but maybe I'll go with the KAC TT on the SR15 and the BattleComp on the LMT as suggested. Then I'm done buying.... this is my last rifle......

M4Fundi
09-17-10, 01:00
Then I'm done buying.... this is my last rifle......

Giggling....... yeah right:p

FromMyColdDeadHand
09-17-10, 01:06

Love to see some prone shooting to see the dust signature. I think I can spare a few pounds of what they claim is Colorado Dirt for your test. :D

Dos Cylindros
09-17-10, 15:13
Love to see some prone shooting to see the dust signature. I think I can spare a few pounds of what they claim is Colorado Dirt for your test. :D

I just shot prone last week on groomed dirt with the TT. It did kick up some dust, but certainly not out of line and probably comparable to an A2.

crazymoose
09-18-10, 00:54
All things equal, I'd go with the Battle Comp. I hear that ultrasonic cleaning takes care of the TT just fine, though, and I don't think ultrasonic cleaners are that expensive.

bkb0000
09-18-10, 04:30
i'm a pretty big fan of the battle comp.. i now have two, and dont foresee buying anything else for future builds. mitigates muzzle rise as well as the TT, but without as much blast and flash.

if i had both in hand, i'd use the BC. sell the TT and buy a couple cases of ammo.

Biggy
09-18-10, 09:49
I have had and used both but now I just run the BattleComps. They are the only muzzle device I will be using on my AR's .

cop1211
09-18-10, 23:07
I have two triple taps, along with two battle comps. Both are very good. I'm getting two more battle comps for my two new uppers.;)

ibuytoys
09-20-10, 00:20
I'm liking my Battlecomp BABC and am on the waiting list for the 1.5 version when they're available.

Magic_Salad0892
09-20-10, 01:54
The TT brake is a suppressor mount, for KAC suppressors.

That alone in my mind automatically makes it better.

If you don't care about suppression, at least with a KAC can then the BC is the better option, on price alone.

Ammo > Fancy gadgets.

This is from a KAC ''fanboy.''

wileecoyote
09-20-10, 17:46
What's the BattleComp 1.5?

And I just thought about this, would ADCO have problems pinning the TT because it's Inconel? I know the stuff is super hard to work with.

et2041
09-21-10, 11:08
On my SR-15E3. I'm a KAC Fanboy as well, but had a BattleComp on a 6920 and was sold on them...especially for the price. On the Mid-Length SR the combination is fantastic.

caporider
09-21-10, 12:36
What's the BattleComp 1.5?

And I just thought about this, would ADCO have problems pinning the TT because it's Inconel? I know the stuff is super hard to work with.

The 1.5 is the 1.0 with a standoff hood to make it long enough to get a 14.5" barrel to 16" when permanently attached. The 1.5 comes pre-drilled for a blind pinning and welding, so it is a great choice if you want to use a non-NFA 14.5" barrel.

jbo723
10-14-10, 20:05
I own a few TTB's and I purchased them due to the fact that I own (2) NT4's and I liked the fact that they act as a sacraficial blast baffle. I have shot with the BattleComps and I personally feel that they are just as effective in reducing muzzle rise compared to the TTB at a lower price point. If I didn't already own the NT4's, it would be hard pressed for me to justify the cost of the TTB when I could get the same results with the BattleComp or even the PWS FSC556..

epete
10-14-10, 20:48

Inconel can be difficult to machine, but it can be a nightmare to weld. I would talk to ADCO directly.

wileecoyote
10-14-10, 23:35
caporider:
Thanks, I got the 1.5 mixed up, I was thinking it was an improved version already!

epete:
My concern exactly! I will send off an email to ADCO just to double-check.

wileecoyote
10-14-10, 23:41
Guys, thanks for all the replies and input.

I just sent it off to ADCO to have the KAC TT put on. I went with the logic that since I had it I might as well put it on. Had I not already bought it I think I would've used the BattleComp.

Plus now it'll enable me to shoot 2" groups at 1000 yards with its magic powers.

I did ask the guys at ADCO and they said there were no issues with pinning the Inconel. Fingers crossed.......

jbo723
10-15-10, 15:30
Guys, thanks for all the replies and input.

I just sent it off to ADCO to have the KAC TT put on. I went with the logic that since I had it I might as well put it on. Had I not already bought it I think I would've used the BattleComp.

Plus now it'll enable me to shoot 2" groups at 1000 yards with its magic powers.

I did ask the guys at ADCO and they said there were no issues with pinning the Inconel. Fingers crossed.......

I'd like to see pics of the finished product if possible..