PDA

View Full Version : Question About 5.56 Duty Loads

Leatherneck556
09-16-10, 17:30
So I've read and researched and am pretty familiar with a lot of the recommended rounds out there for .223/5.56 carbines. But here's my question:

The sticky posted above lists mainly projectiles, not a lot of loads. I'm interested in a load that is a good general purpose "barrier" round that is loaded to 5.56 pressures and has sealed necks and crimped and sealed primers. Obviously, a more accurate load would be better. What information do you all have? Most rounds that use these loads are at .223 pressures or don't have sealed necks/crimped and sealed primers. An example is the 55 gr TSX Federal TRU load. It uses an awesome projectile, and it has crimped primers, but it's just .223 pressures.

Does anyone have any recommendations out there? Or am I focusing too much on things that don't matter. When I think of an AR series rifle, I think of a weapon that I should be able to use very effectively from 0 to 300 meters in all kinds of conditions. Of course, my upbringing is military, not police, so I think it terms of harder use. Don't want to come across as paranoid (don't think I will, though) but I guess you could say that I'm looking for good performing ammo that could be my go-to load for SHTF type situations. I stock up mostly on IMI M193 for bulk/training, but I want about a thousand rounds of a better performing load to have stashed away. Mk318 Mod 0 seems to be a pretty good contender, but I know there is better stuff out there. I'm just wondering if there is better stuff out there that is also true 5.56 and has sealed necks/sealed and crimped primers. Or at least 5.56 and has crimped primers.

Thanks!

Leatherneck556
09-16-10, 17:34
Just wanted to add: I shoot my guns. I shoot them a lot. I'm actually not a guy who owns a ton of AR15s - I just own one. I don't get these things to collect them or to fantasize about some type of post-apocalyptic world wherein I will be cool but never actually do training to get there. I would feel comfortable carrying M193 into a fight against another person, but if I have the money and there are better things out there, then why not invest in it?

I just say all this to say that I fully understand shot placement and training are key. I spend way more on ammo and training than I do on guns. I know that having the "best" ammo around is a much smaller part of the equation, but I figure why not go for the "best" that I can get?

Belmont31R
09-16-10, 17:38
The TAP T2 is a 5.56 pressure load that gets good recommendations from the "experts" like Doc and Molon. Ive shot several hundred rounds of it, and have several hundred more stored away. I wouldn't hesitate to use it at all.

I wouldnt "plink" or train with it aside from verifying zero, and shooting for a few groups due to the cost, though. Not too many people can afford to shoot like that with $1 a pop rounds.

Leatherneck556
09-16-10, 17:41
I'm tracking that the TAP has a lot of those features (I have a few rounds of the stuff, actually). My problem with it is that I want something that's better for barriers.

Safetyhit
09-16-10, 17:57
As stated by Belmont, 5.56 TAP seems to be the unanimous favorite. I also have shot just over 400 rounds of the stuff and can say it is indeed very accurate. Have quite a bit more left, but only use it sporadically at the range now days.

Also consider MK262 77gr. Available via Gunbroker or even Cabela's from time to time.

DocGKR
09-16-10, 19:17
Neither 5.56 mm Horn 75 gr T2 OTM or 5.56 mm BH 77 gr Mk262 Mod1 OTM are good intermediate barrier loads. Currently, the Speer Gold Dot 55 & 64 gr JSP and 64 gr JSP both come in 5.56 mm loadings that work very well, as does the 70 gr TSX projectile. The new FBI RFP for 5.56 mm barrier blind ammunition is a multi-award program that will likely offer several good alternatives as well, in the next few weeks.

Leatherneck556
09-16-10, 19:23
Doc,

How can a guy like me get my hands on some of those 5.56 Gold Dot loads?

Furthermore, I didn't know about this FBI contract going on. Do you have any more details about that (that's more just for curiosity than anything)?

Safetyhit
09-16-10, 20:28
Neither 5.56 mm Horn 75 gr T2 OTM or 5.56 mm BH 77 gr Mk262 Mod1 OTM are good intermediate barrier loads. Currently, the Speer Gold Dot 55 & 64 gr JSP and 64 gr JSP both come in 5.56 mm loadings that work very well, as does the 70 gr TSX projectile. The new FBI RFP for 5.56 mm barrier blind ammunition is a multi-award program that will likely offer several good alternatives as well, in the next few weeks.

Great post, thanks Doc.

THCDDM4
10-19-10, 12:18
Doc,

Furthermore, I didn't know about this FBI contract going on. Do you have any more details about that (that's more just for curiosity than anything)?

G&R Tactical.

C4IGrant
10-19-10, 12:47
Doc,

Might want to read this thread here: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=64708

The case can be made that the .223 version is actually a better choice.

From checking around, the 5.56 version of the SPEER 64gr GD is unavailable with no ETA on Federal shipping more of it.

The FBI's new 5.56 choice will be available from Federal (at some point), but I think it will be while before we are able to get our hands on it.

C4