PDA

View Full Version : Flattop receiver question

Morg308
09-17-10, 06:19
I'm a retro AR guy, so bear with me. I recently got a couple of new, stripped upper receivers off the Arfcom EE cheap. One is a square code, and is marked DSA. The other is a cardinal code and unmarked. Both have M4 ramps and both are T-marked (They line up perfectly with my SOCOM barrel) and both are brand new.

I know quality of machining and finish varies from company to company, so my instinct is to use the DSA marked upper with the new SOCOM barrel and like new Colt BCG. I'm guessing final machining and finish are more important than forge codes, but I thought I'd ask you guys - am I missing something? Is there something else I can look for / check? I am planning on checking the fit of the BCG in the upper. Any tips would be appreciated.

OH - if anyone has an old FA they'll sell me cheap, LMK. I have a port door and BUIS but need a FA assy.

LMTRocks
09-17-10, 10:53
After seeing some DSA stripped uppers I believe it was probably Cardinal Forge that made them. That was my experience from handling some from Brownells. Same Cardinal logo as my LMT upper. Also think that CF makes them for BCM....you're getting the picture I'm painting now....high quality manufacturers. I think you're Golf Tango Golf should u choose the DS, Cardinal or anything with a Cardinal Stamp. PICS of the build must be shown....:D

Belmont31R
09-17-10, 10:57
The forge code really has not a lot to do with the quality.

These companies buy the forgings, and then do the maching on them. One company can buy Cardinal forgings, and turn out excellent quality receivers. Another company can take the same forgings, and turn out out of spec crap.

There are only a few forgers in the US making AR receiver forgings.

Morg308
09-17-10, 11:00
The forge code really has not a lot to do with the quality.

These companies buy the forgings, and then do the maching on them. One company can buy Cardinal forgings, and turn out excellent quality receivers. Another company can take the same forgings, and turn out out of spec crap.

There are only a few forgers in the US making AR receiver forgings.

That's why I'm thinking I'll use the DSA marked one, even though it's a square forge code. DSA has always made good stuff. Just wondering if there was any other way to tell. Colt marked uppers should have a'C' on them, correct or no?

ETA: My camera is down, and I don't have the weapon done yet, but when I do I will post pics. I have a NIW SOCOM barrel, stripped upper, KAC RAS and Nodak A1 lower as well as a Colt FA BCG and a used but decent LPK. Also have a YHM BUIS, Surefire M961, TG stubby and Colt fiberlite stock (s)( I like old school stuff) including one that is painted that saw plenty of two-way range work from the look of it. It will have an A1 pistol grip, but I am considering running it with a fixed A1 stock - which I really like on carbines. The final piece will be a Battle comp 1.5 and eventually a decent optic - I have a Russian Aimpoint that is pretty decent that I will run for now. I am going for effective rather than pretty. I did pretty well on trades and will have less than $650 into this thing, out of pocket, maybe $250. Being unemployed right now, this makes me happy.