PDA

View Full Version : So I learned something today in the police academy...

BAC
09-17-10, 17:09
...OC SPRAY SUCKS.

That is all. Thank God that's done with.

-B

Moose-Knuckle
09-17-10, 17:17
As you embark on your career take heed that there are individuals out there that OC has no what so ever effect on.

Stay safe.

Rmplstlskn
09-17-10, 17:21
Yes, it does! Especially if you have the good stuff...

I used to be a vendor for Guardian in the 90's and still have some old inventory...

My "shtf, non-lethal trespasser control" units are the big one in the back and the big pistol grip one on the far right...

Very effective for those times when you can't legally ventilate...

http://www.4u2survive.com/images/Guardian/tacticalunits.gif

Rmpl

BAC
09-17-10, 17:53
As you embark on your career take heed that there are individuals out there that OC has no what so ever effect on.

Stay safe.

Our instructors made that point very clear... although everybody now doubts that it's possible for this stuff to have no effect on someone. I have a lot more respect for it now than I did before, especially since some of us got a little more "exposure" than others. That being said, the showers afterward were hilarious.

And thanks, I'll do my damnest to.

-B

Moose-Knuckle
09-17-10, 18:10
Our instructors made that point very clear... although everybody now doubts that it's possible for this stuff to have no effect on someone. I have a lot more respect for it now than I did before, especially since some of us got a little more "exposure" than others. That being said, the showers afterward were hilarious.

And thanks, I'll do my damnest to.

-B

Yeah the shower sucks for a couple of days in some cases. It's not to bad for the guy's who shave their heads. ;)

usmcvet
09-17-10, 19:14
I have a few words of wisdom for you. You will get sprayed directly or indirectly again many times during your career but now you know what it is like and you can fight through it.:mad:

Never spray some one in your tiny office with the AC and a fan going. You will get it almost as bad as the bad guy. I cleared out the PD and Town Clerks office. The OC was in the office for months even after many cleanings. Some times the baton is the better option.:(

Also was your hands at least twice before going to the bathroom!

Safetyhit
09-17-10, 19:23
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. The spray is a menial, but still relevant example.

Enjoy these great days.

skyugo
09-17-10, 19:29
one time i made habanero salsa then foolishly removed my contact lenses and rubbed them for 10 seconds to remove protein without washing my hands 8 times first.

the next day i reinserted them and thought my eyes were on fire. :o

you guys are nuts :D

vaglocker
09-17-10, 19:44
Don't worry I'll call the "Waambulance" :cray:

BAC
09-17-10, 19:46
One of the lieutenants instructing us during DT relayed a story of when he used two 'foggers' to OC a crowd at a club once... and was hated for a long time after.

Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. The spray is a menial, but still relevant example.

Enjoy these great days.

I dunno, I kept saying to myself "What doesn't kill me makes me more pissed than I was before the spray came out." If my eventual partner sprays me I'm gonna want to beat him down after we beat the assclown down who earned the spraying. :p

I will do my best to enjoy these days sir. Firearms and driving are next! :D

-B

BAC
09-17-10, 19:49
Don't worry I'll call the "Waambulance" :cray:

One girl did call for an ambulance. She was promptly told, "Shut up, it's not that bad." :D

-B

mr_smiles
09-17-10, 19:52
One girl did call for an ambulance. She was promptly told, "Shut up, it's not that bad." :D

-B

They dropped her from the class right?

m4fun
09-17-10, 20:16
I just loved the guys in the CS house that once they cracked their masks would hold their breath till they turned blue.

Have to get some in case SEIU shows up outside my house.

BAC
09-17-10, 20:16
Nope... but to clarify, she called out for it rather than literally call for one (Sorry, hadn't realize how that sounded leaving out a word). She completed the course and was fine in an hour. Curriculum mandates OC exposure, not completion of the course after, and everybody completed the course in spite of that.

County SWAT was out at the range with us (where our OC setup was), and they loved the show. I suspect a few folks may end up on youtube tonight.

-B

Entropy
09-17-10, 21:24
I'd take pepper spray any day over being tased.

bkb0000
09-17-10, 21:46

i'll add a big **** yes to that.

Hmac
09-17-10, 22:13
We had to do OC every year. A little CS hut with a fogger, everybody put $5 in a hat in the middle of the room, last guy out grabbed the hat.

jklaughrey
09-18-10, 00:50
Should have trained with your unit Hmac. I usually was always last out on my team. Course my nickname was "Damian" as in the son of the devil from the movie in the 80's. And personally I would take a taser over the OC. Not that I mind OC, but my wife tends to stay away for days after. Back when I was a rookie, showered after being sprayed and i forget to keep my junk out of the water stream. Needless to say the wife didn't appreciate the seasoning that evening. Yeah "please tase me bro".

markdh720
09-18-10, 21:34
I did the OC spray in the academy. It was HORRIBLE! I couldn't see for nearly 45 minutes. I've been exposed to it several times since then due to coworkers who deployed it at the wrong moments. I won't use it myself.

I'm going for taser training soon. I expect it to be bad, but 5 seconds of lightning has got to be better than 45 minutes of burning.

Eric
09-19-10, 05:02
Negative! :fie:
At least with the Taser, when the juice is off, recovery begins right away and there is no decon. Personal preference though.

Rider79
09-19-10, 09:54
A couple of my funny experiences with OC from when I did armed security in a HUD housing project:

I used the foam OC because it supposedly didn't cross contaminate. Yeah right. The first time I used it on a guy I sprayed him from about 10 feet away. Right away my eyes burned and my whole left arm burned. Of course it had little effect on the guy and only pissed him off. I ended up blindly beating the guy with my ASP until my partner was able to get over and assist me with cuffing the guy.

As for the other one, one of the guys who worked with us was an OC instructor. During one shift he sat in one of the chairs in the office and apparently broke the button somehow on his OC on the armrest of the chair. The entire can emptied into his side along his beltline before he realized what had happened. When the burning sensation hit him he jumped up screaming "It burns! It burns! Worse than in the eyes!" while ripping his uniform shirt and vest off and running to the bathroom. He made the mistake of leaving his OC stained undershirt in the office so our corporal took it and wrote "OC instructor" on it with a sharpie and hung it on the wall. He didn't live it down for the rest of the time we worked there.

Rider79
09-19-10, 10:04
A couple of my funny experiences with OC from when I did armed security in a HUD housing project:

I used the foam OC because it supposedly didn't cross contaminate. Yeah right. The first time I used it on a guy I sprayed him from about 10 feet away. Right away my eyes burned and my whole left arm burned. Of course it had little effect on the guy and only pissed him off. I ended up blindly beating the guy with my ASP until my partner was able to get over and assist me with cuffing the guy.

As for the other one, one of the guys who worked with us was an OC instructor. During one shift he sat in one of the chairs in the office and apparently broke the button somehow on his OC on the armrest of the chair. The entire can emptied into his side along his beltline before he realized what had happened. When the burning sensation hit him he jumped up screaming "It burns! It burns! Worse than in the eyes!" while ripping his uniform shirt and vest off and running to the bathroom. He made the mistake of leaving his OC stained undershirt in the office so our corporal took it and wrote "OC instructor" on it with a sharpie and hung it on the wall. He didn't live it down for the rest of the time we worked there.

Rider79
09-19-10, 10:20

ST911
09-19-10, 18:26
Additional exposures won't make the process pleasant, but will make it easier to work through the discomfort.

Rider79
09-19-10, 18:39

Ejh28
09-20-10, 15:11
My brother is going through the academy as well, and he said that he'd rather "Ride the Lightning" than do OC spray. Same reasons as above, when there's no juice, you can get back up. Aside from the brain damage of course :fie: