PDA

View Full Version : Anybody stood in line for 4 hours for generator fuel?

1_click_off
09-18-10, 10:25
During Katrina my fuel supplies got to where I needed to get some fuel for the generator. This sucks, everyone is in pure panic like it is the end of the world and if they don't get their 5 gallons of fuel they will simply die. I can see where they are coming from as I am diabetic and need to keep my insulin cool. I got tired of this and found another supply. Natural gas. I have lived on the gulf coast for several years and have never had my gas go out, my father in-law who has lived here all his life only remembers it going out once. So I got to doing some research and found a site that sells natural gas conversion kits. I ordered one, got it all set up and that is one of the best $350 spent (189 for kit rest on pipes and fittings). Now I can run gasoline or natural gas. www.propanecarbs.com I highly recommend this option to anyone that has natural gas at their house.

762xIan
09-28-10, 01:44
This is true, gas does not "usually" get affected. But the longer a situation goes on, and the size of the area (looting, rioting, fires) gas may be shutdown to certain areas. I have been running gas in Power Plants for almost 20 years, the mains have never gone down in any of the plants I ever worked at.

One thing to remember is with propane and natural gas your generator capacity (KW) will be a little less. If you are only running a few things and staying under the KW rating you should be fine.

1_click_off
09-28-10, 21:55
Yeah, I'm only running a few lights, fridge/freezer, and a window unit. So the reduced kW won't be an issue. I have a few places I can go if I can get the first 200 miles out, but if it is looking that bad I plan to be gone before the gas shuts off.

streaker69
09-28-10, 22:34
I've been exchanging emails with this company (http://www.propane-generators.com/) about a kit for my generator. So far they've been incredibly helpful in making sure that their kit will fit my unit. Is the kit that you purchased a tri-fuel or just natural gas and gasoline? With the tri-fuel kits you can run off of 20lb propane bottles, but they recommend having a 100lb.

1_click_off
09-29-10, 21:43
I just got the airhorn that you install the longer studs and slip it on after the carb. The only issue I have is the choke linkage does not connect any longer. Not a huge deal since I live in the deep south. So it is either gasoline or natural gas depending on which fuel source I have turned on. No Tri-fuel. They were very helpful with selecting the right kit for me. Like I said, I do not regret getting it.