PDA

View Full Version : not sure why i resisted jumping on the MTAC bandwagon for so long

skyugo
09-18-10, 21:07
this thing is comfy!
just received a neutral cant MTAC for my HK P7 (non-m8). very nice rig. adjustable, and you can switch guns just by changing the kydex half of the holster. Also has about the shortest lead time of just about any holster manufacturer. i ordered this thing last sunday, it got here today.

only gripe is that the leather body shield doesn't fully cover the P7. It's not a big deal, but seems like it should cover.

RyanB
09-19-10, 03:36
Go for a run in it. The MTAC and CTAC I had were both unstable junk.

motorsporting
09-19-10, 18:42
Any pics? I love most of my Comp-Tac stuff, but I too do not relish the C-Tac. I've contemplated trying the MTac or a Supertuck. I hear great things about both.

TXLowflyer
09-19-10, 23:47
I was introduced to Comp-Tac products by Paul Howe while taking a Tactical Pistol Instructor Course in 2008.

I know Paul uses a Comp-Tac locking paddle holster to run in carrying a Glock.

I use the CTAC and the MTAC holsters for a full size Glock

I prefer the CTAC and I place Moleskin on the Kydex that touches the skin and also wear some type of Cool Max undershirt underneath the normal dark colored T shirts I wear to blend in the locals. The key to comfort is to make sure all of the sharp edges are smooth ,backed with moleskin and use some type of undershirt

The MTAC is more comfortable than the CTAC,but I rotate between the two to rest the leather backing of the MTAC. The leather tends to absorb sweat.
I let it rest at lest 24 hrs before re-wearing.

When I work out on the elliptical I wear a full size or mid-size Glock in the CTAC In between my workout shorts and Cool Max shirt. I wear a Wilderness Tactical belt fairly tight around the outside of my workout shorts.

I do not run long distances because of my knees, but I do run sprints wearing this set up with no problem.

I also walk a long trail here of 26 miles with that setup with not problems with hot spots, but I am conditioned to wearing a full size Glock 12+ hours a day.

I also have the speed belt holster from Comp-tac and for me I dose not conceal well at all. I have also tried the snap on paddle holster wit the leather backing(Minotaur Gladiator Holster) and found that it did not conceal well for me also .It has a tendency to sit low and stick out to much for my taste.

My next holster will be the CTAC for a Glock full size with a TLR1 light.

I hope this helps someone. I will try to post some pictures later.

TXLowflyer
09-19-10, 23:53
Duplicate

MTechnik
09-20-10, 22:28
I have a comp-tac minotaur for my walther PPS and I wish I hadn't waited so long to get it. It is awesome. SO comfy, it's crazy.

JSantoro
09-21-10, 11:25
If it's up against bare skin, moleskin helps absorb sweat and stabilize it. It worked decently on my Infidel.

I always wear undershirts, be they cotton or synthetic, and found the synthetic ones prone to sliding and untucking, so I used a couple of rubber bands on the Minotaur I switched to, so as to get some friction going until I put a couple of lines of hot glue gun goo on the leather backer. Doesn't damage anything and I can replace them if they wear away.

Hasn't happened yet, and it's been a hot, sweaty 4 months that included running, jumping, and climbing of trees and other obstacles.

skyugo
09-21-10, 15:45
Go for a run in it. The MTAC and CTAC I had were both unstable junk.

which clips were you using and what height/cant was it set at?
cycling and walking around i haven't noticed any movement at all. i am using a good belt (wilderness tactical) and stiff pants (carhartt).

I'll keep you guys posted. I've been wearing it for 4 days straight now (10+ hours a day)

skyugo
09-21-10, 15:47
If it's up against bare skin, moleskin helps absorb sweat and stabilize it. It worked decently on my Infidel.

I always wear undershirts, be they cotton or synthetic, and found the synthetic ones prone to sliding and untucking, so I used a couple of rubber bands on the Minotaur I switched to, so as to get some friction going until I put a couple of lines of hot glue gun goo on the leather backer. Doesn't damage anything and I can replace them if they wear away.

Hasn't happened yet, and it's been a hot, sweaty 4 months that included running, jumping, and climbing of trees and other obstacles.

I did get a piece of moleskin for my raven holster as well. I haven't put it on yet. I'm still test driving the P7 as a daily carry.
I've had a couple very good range sessions with this gun, It points very naturally for me, and the trigger is incredible, so the glocks may take a back seat for awhile. I also like that it's a little flatter/more contoured than a glock. Seems to print less.

RyanB
09-21-10, 16:58
which clips were you using and what height/cant was it set at?
cycling and walking around i haven't noticed any movement at all. i am using a good belt (wilderness tactical) and stiff pants (carhartt).

I'll keep you guys posted. I've been wearing it for 4 days straight now (10+ hours a day)

The clips that go over the belt and hook on the bottom of the belt. It's an Alessi belt, no issue there. At first it was nice, but over time the leather sagged and the butt of the pistol dropped to where I couldn't get a firing grip anymore. I switched to Raven Concealment. I'm pretty thin and the RC holster pulls my belt away from my body more, so it's not as hidden, but that thing is STABLE.

skyugo
09-21-10, 17:18
The clips that go over the belt and hook on the bottom of the belt. It's an Alessi belt, no issue there. At first it was nice, but over time the leather sagged and the butt of the pistol dropped to where I couldn't get a firing grip anymore. I switched to Raven Concealment. I'm pretty thin and the RC holster pulls my belt away from my body more, so it's not as hidden, but that thing is STABLE.

hmm hadn't really considered the leather sag issue.
i like my raven holster, but it's not the most concealable thing. it rides really high, yes i can get a good grip on the gun, but the way i have this holster setup i can get a good grip as well, but with considerably better concealment.
perhaps i'll add some reinforcements to the MTAC.

RyanB
09-21-10, 17:24
That is the only real weak point. Other than that it works.

AR_Griz
09-22-10, 15:39
I've been a pretty big fan of the MTAC I recently purchased for a Kahr P45. It took me a little time to figure out the optimal body position and the ride height -- I wound up moving the clips one step down to bring the holster out of my waist a tiny bit to aid in obtaining a solid grip.

I had a few issues with the clips at first which had me questioning how secure it would be... I found that once I had the holster where I wanted it, aligning the clips so they're straight up-and-down in relation to the belt solved the problem. Since then, it's been rock-solid when I have to bend, move, jog across a parking lot or when I'm out around town.

@RyanB, what part of the leather sagged? I've only got a month of solid wear on mine now but I'm having a hard time picturing where anything would stretch more than a few millimeters due to break-in. I don't doubt what you're saying, just trying to understand where your problem happened. Comp-Tac has been top-notch so far, I wonder if Customer Service would help resolve your issue.

Cheers!

RyanB
09-22-10, 23:07
it was most pronounced by the rivets where the clip hangers attached.