PDA

View Full Version : Western WA: October 24th M4C Shoot

MookNW
09-19-10, 01:16
Let's get something cookin for October. These things usually take a few weeks to gain momentum. I'd be down to head back to BKB's spot in OR, unless we get too many WA heads. In which case, the training bay at WCA in Factoria might be available for group usage.Weekends of the 16th 23rd work for me. What say ya?

bkb0000
09-19-10, 02:15
Let's get something cookin for October. These things usually take a few weeks to gain momentum. I'd be down to head back to BKB's spot in OR, unless we get too many WA heads. In which case, the training bay at WCA in Factoria might be available for group usage.Weekends of the 16th 23rd work for me. What say ya?

do it, man. set one up for washington. are you on NW firearms? advertise there too.

you're the leader, i won't be there- your state forbids the likes of me and mine.

MookNW
09-21-10, 19:38
Now this thing's working again, anyone in?

Titleist
09-21-10, 19:44
Out. Gotta host Magpul Carbine II which is right in the middle of October.

GitmoSmoke
09-22-10, 08:09
Mook,
I should be able to make a training day in October. The 23rd would be better for me, but i could probably swing the 16th. If we get enough people from farther north, Bellingham to Everett, we could use my club on Whidbey. We have 5 pistol bays and rifle out to 200 yards. On the 23rd we have a 100 yd rifle match from 0900-1230 so it would be pistol in the morning while waiting for the rifle range to clear out. If most of the people who show are from Seattle or farther south I'll come down there.

MookNW
09-22-10, 09:21
Gitmo:I've seen some video of your club and it would be a nice venue. What kind of head count do we need to take over a spot? Is there a range/bay there where we can shoot rifle and handgun?.

GitmoSmoke
09-22-10, 09:29
We have 5 bays for pistol only that we can take over whenever we need to. On the rifle range we can walk down to what ever distance we want to and shoot rifle and pistol. That is usually where I practice transition drills. All the areas are usually first come first served, but as I live 5 minutes from the range I can make sure to get there early and get set up. I'll check with the scheduling guy and see if I can't arrange for one of the ranges to be reserved for us.

MookNW
09-22-10, 09:35
That'd be rad. I prefer shooting outside.(gets a little stuffy in the training bay at WCA), grounds a little softer too. Let's see where this goes, I'm in. Probably get Kaltesherz in too, if he ain't busy.

kaltesherz
09-22-10, 22:18
I'm in! Both weekends are wide open for me. The last PNW shoot was great, been looking forward to the next one...

RyanB
09-22-10, 23:01
I'll be abroad 30SEP to 25OCT but if its after that I'm in.

MookNW
09-24-10, 14:59
I'll check with the scheduling guy and see if I can't arrange for one of the ranges to be reserved for us.

That'd be great. I can bring a car full of shooters regardless of how many M4C's show up, so if the range fees aren't too heavy, we should be able to do it on the cheap.
Does the club have barrels or any similar stuff for barricades/cover that we can use, or would we be bringing our own?

GitmoSmoke
09-24-10, 15:36
What are range fee's? As long as we keep it clean and repair anything that gets shot up beyond use we won't have to pay. The really good news is that I am excellent friends with the work party chairman (me) so It will be easy to get stuff fixed.
The only downside is that we have to use only the club equipment on the ranges. We have pistol steel plates and stands, but no outside equipment is allowed. We can adapt plywood and the portable stands as barricades when we want to. If anyone would like to come up for this Sunday we are running our last pistol speed steel match of the year. 9 am registration time Check www.cwsaonline.org for rules. I'll be there early and late to get stuff ready.

O'doyle
09-25-10, 11:45
I would like to come to this, meet up with some fellow Washington people. If its on the 23rd Im in, Ill be at the Magpul class the weekend of the 16th.

MookNW
09-25-10, 14:08
Looks like it will be the 23rd or 24th, we will probably get a consensus in the next week or so. O'doyle, you should check in here https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=40494
Maybe you can kick down some Magpul skill while it's still fresh.

bkb0000
09-25-10, 14:52
O'doyle, you should check in here https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=40494

signing into the roster subscribes you to the thread. all PNW announcements are linked via the roster, so you'll get notified if other threads that may be of interest to you are started in the sub-forum.

it also lets us know who you are, where you are, and what you're doing, so other PNW members can contact you regarding local training/networking.

good luck with the shoot, gentlemen. if i can get my 1.5BC-pinned 14.5 build together in time, i may join you.

GitmoSmoke
09-27-10, 22:52
Gents,
The date is confirmed. We have the Central Whidbey Sportsmans Association 75 yard range reserved from 0900-1700 on Sunday 24 October for our exclusive use. No range fees are going to be charged so bring more ammo.

MookNW
09-28-10, 11:31
Thanks for getting us a slot Gitmosmoke. Looking forward to this.

kaltesherz
09-28-10, 16:03
Awesome! Much closer than Oregon and no range fee's?!? What else could a growing boy ask for? I'll bring my AKS-74N too so we can get a little 5.45 action in between drills...

ghost762
09-28-10, 17:21
Too bad I'm deployed. http://www.mayyam.com/hub/images/smiles/banghead.gif

GitmoSmoke
09-29-10, 07:52
Gents,
So you know what to expect I put an album of our club on my profile. We will have the short range for our exclusive use.
https://www.m4carbine.net/album.php?albumid=297

MookNW
09-29-10, 09:34
Dang, now if we could only have weather like in the pics. Thanks for the visual.
Gitmo: Any ammo restrictions?

GitmoSmoke
09-29-10, 10:17
The only restrictions we will have are all rounds fired must impact the rear berm, or 10 and 25 yd berms. As for steel projectiles or cases, like M855 or Wolf both are just fine. We don't have any rifle rated steel targets so it will be paper or cardboard only. I've got all the staplers, pasters, target stands and the like so don't worry about that.
Ammo can be hard to come by at times. On Sunday the only options will be Wal-Mart, Ace hardware and a small selection at Big 5. All are 15 miles north of the club. I suggest getting food drink and snacks before coming to the Isalnd, unless you’re coming across Deception Pass bridge. Oak Harbor has regular supermarkets and fast food, but south of Oak Harbor it’s small stores only and more expensive.
A nice sunny day would be awsome, but that late in October it would be the exception rather than the rule.

vader
09-30-10, 21:46
ok I'm down. anyone in Seattle wanna car pull?

GitmoSmoke
10-01-10, 12:40
It seems like we are hopefully going to have a good turnout for the October shoot. I'd like to get an idea of the head count so I can start working on how much stuff I need to get to make everything run as smoothly as possible. The list so far
MookNW
Kaltsherz
O'doyle
Vader
maybe BKB if he gets his new upper finished
Gitmo
Let me know if you guys are bringing others with you.
Since I always view my targets as small, bearded, smelly men. What would be better than BBQ pork for us? I've got 2 pork shoulders that I was going to smoke for the clubs final steel shoot. That was cancelled due to Pheasent season, and I still need to free up the room in my freezer. How does Carolina pulled pork sound to you guys? Anyone have any kind of dietary restrictions?

O'doyle
10-01-10, 13:30
That sounds perfect. Also anyone coming from Tacoma area? Or I could meet up with some Seattle people to car pool, the jeep is not exactly a mpg machine. Hit me up.

kaltesherz
10-01-10, 17:48
BBQ pork?! AWESOME!!!
I've got nothing against Muslims, but bearded smelly dudes (aka hippies) I loath. Glad to see this one will be more populated than the the last, and since it's in WA it's not only closer but we won't have any SBRs to make us question if we moved to the right state...

kaltesherz
10-01-10, 20:17
That sounds perfect. Also anyone coming from Tacoma area? Or I could meet up with some Seattle people to car pool, the jeep is not exactly a mpg machine. Hit me up.

I might have room for you, if ya don't mind sqeezing in the back of my Honda (Mook gets shotgun) and the plethora of Nasty Girl comments. We'll probably be heading up early to help with set up.

Just kidding on the NG comments.

Kinda.

MookNW
10-01-10, 22:06
How does Carolina pulled pork sound to you guys? Anyone have any kind of dietary restrictions?

I can only eat BBQ on days that end in Y.

I've got some outside interest in this event brewing Gitmo. Likely two more from my camp. I'm gonna try to get them to sign into the PNW thread, but we'll see how that goes. Would you say there is/should be a cap on how many people we have out there for this event?

Kaltesherz, we may have too many peeps for the Honda, we'll figure something out.

If all is gravy, I'll have a battlecomp 1.5 on the rig if anyone wants to f with it.

MookNW
10-01-10, 22:09
Kaltesherz, we may have too many peeps for the Honda, we'll figure something out.

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQzQg6YWEz5aHYc9ztH7vifQFURTiRgonydW9s2UZ6yfH9e0BE&t=1&usg=__S_73Ci8xn9xqH-uo2soxh56M-S4=

kaltesherz
10-01-10, 22:15
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQzQg6YWEz5aHYc9ztH7vifQFURTiRgonydW9s2UZ6yfH9e0BE&t=1&usg=__S_73Ci8xn9xqH-uo2soxh56M-S4=

Next on my list of stuff I need, the M4C.net shaggin' wagon!
If this van's a rockin'...

... it's because we're loading mags in the back.

GitmoSmoke
10-02-10, 09:28
We don't have a limit on how many can shoot. I'm just getting the supplies we need. We have plenty of parking so don't worry about bringing extra cars.

O'doyle
10-04-10, 13:00
If there is no room no worries, I can also give someone a ride or carry gear if anyone in the Tacoma Seattle area doesnt want to drive. Looking forward to the shoot

kaltesherz
10-04-10, 13:32
If there is no room no worries, I can also give someone a ride or carry gear if anyone in the Tacoma Seattle area doesnt want to drive. Looking forward to the shoot

Naw, I think Mook was saying we'll have to take 2 cars, so I can still give you a ride. Maybe we can even convoy, it's still a little early in the game.

MookNW
10-06-10, 01:43
Just checkin in as I've been in CA for a bit, now I'm in NV for another little bit before I go back to CA for a bit. With a little luck I'll be back in WA in a bit. Can't wait to get this thing goin.
O'doyle, Vader..carpooling is good, and since there's a ferry ride involved it'll save a little dough. We'll start figuring out the logistics about a week out when the head count is more solid.
Got an order in on the first run of BC1.5's, but won't get my paws on it till I get home, it's eating me up inside.

bkb0000
10-08-10, 00:57
gentlemen... count me in. battlecomp 1.5'd 14.5 midlength is DONE.

well, it will be tomorrow morning after i get the pin welded. but i got her all drilled, reamed, assembled, pinned, and ground-down tonight... so i'm definitely good to go on legal firepower.

this is gonna be funky... heading into unfamiliar and hostile territory. i guess i'll have to open-carry my pistol.. so if i don't show, it's 'cause i've been locked away in some deep, dank, third-world vashingtonian dungeon on trumped-up "disturbing the peace" charges.

anyway- who's in charge of this outfit? gitmo? you gonna write up the CoF? need help?

i don't want to run the thing- it's not my range, and don't really know what we have to work with. but i can probably be of great help to the host. i can lead some line drills, and probably modify some movement CoFs to accommodate the probably 18 degree field of fire we have to work with. :p

BrianS
10-08-10, 02:27
this is gonna be funky... heading into unfamiliar and hostile territory. i guess i'll have to open-carry my pistol.. so if i don't show, it's 'cause i've been locked away in some deep, dank, third-world vashingtonian dungeon on trumped-up "disturbing the peace" charges.

You could easily get a non res Washington CPL if you live close enough to Washington to ever need it again. While Oregon has better NFA laws than Washington we have better Concealed Carry laws than you guys and it is easy to get a non res permit here.

bkb0000
10-08-10, 02:31
You could easily get a non res Washington CPL if you live close enough to Washington to ever need it again. While Oregon has better NFA laws than Washington we have better Concealed Carry laws than you guys and it is easy to get a non res permit here.

i can get it in the two-somethin weeks till the shoot?

BrianS
10-08-10, 02:39
i can get it in the two-somethin weeks till the shoot?

Possibly. I know people who have received theirs very quickly even though they say it can take 30 days. LESA office in the Tacoma County/City Building is where I have done mine and they are pretty fast.

If you ever plan on coming up again you might want to get it as well.

Edited to say it is 30 days not 90.

MookNW
10-08-10, 03:01
Some counties, offices are quicker than others. Seattle, was straight up 30 days. I think snohomish county was like 2 weeks wait last I heard. I would check an office close to your parts. Maybe ask on NWFA.

GitmoSmoke
10-08-10, 09:09
Since I am providing the location and supplies, as well as being the Range Safety Officer (required by the club), I guess that does put me in the driver’s seat. I have never designed a CoF, any and all help will be appreciated. I am probably not the person to lead the training for this, since I have had no formal training for defensive carbine shooting. I down loaded the Marine Expeditionary Unit M4 CoF, but that is it so far.
I'd like to get an idea for any of the scenarios everyone would like to shoot so I can make sure we have enough target stands, barricades and any props to use. The range is 75 yards by 20 yards with intermediate berms set at 12 and 25 yards. Permanent target stands are set at the intermediate berms and at 50 and 75 yards. The supplies I have managed to get so far. 11 plastic drums, 6 target stands that fit into bases built into the range at 75 yards, and 6 portable target stands that we can move as we need to. I have all the staplers, tape and shot timers that we should need. So all anyone else needs bring are your guns, ammo and paper or cardboard targrets. We won't be shooting any steel since pheasent hunting will be going on in the property behind the club, and the board is worried about ricochets leaving the range.
We will have the range to ourselves from 0900 to 1700 and can do movement and multiple people firing at one time. Anything else you think I need to pick up?

vader
10-08-10, 15:27
so what kind of kit are most of you guys thinking about using? I was just planning on maybe my ats battle belt and a micro chest rig, that and some concealable mag pouches.

bkb0000
10-08-10, 15:37
so what kind of kit are most of you guys thinking about using? I was just planning on maybe my ats battle belt and a micro chest rig, that and some concealable mag pouches.

this aint my potluck- but i usually say "bring what you want to train with." i'll be bringing my concealment stuff, and a basic LCE for M4 mags.

at the very least, whatever you bring, you'll want to be able to carry at least 4-5 pistol mags and 6-8 rifle mags- for not other reason than to prevent holding everyone else up while you go top-off. you can just bring them in a duffel and drag them around with you on the range, if you dont want to carry them on you. stuffing mags in a backpack or camelbak is also good.

other than that, camelbaks/bladders are good. you'll probably sweat.

GlockWRX
10-08-10, 15:47
We're expecting a baby next week, but I'm going to try and swing this. It depends on how the missus and mini-missus are doing.

vader
10-08-10, 16:17
this aint my potluck- but i usually say "bring what you want to train with." i'll be bringing my concealment stuff, and a basic LCE for M4 mags.

at the very least, whatever you bring, you'll want to be able to carry at least 4-5 pistol mags and 6-8 rifle mags- for not other reason than to prevent holding everyone else up while you go top-off. you can just bring them in a duffel and drag them around with you on the range, if you dont want to carry them on you. stuffing mags in a backpack or camelbak is also good.

other than that, camelbaks/bladders are good. you'll probably sweat.

ok. I was deciding wether to wear my ecctac boar or not. with my ats belt and micro I can carry 5 rifle mags and 4 pistol mags. if I wear the boar I'm at like 8 rifle pounches. I'll just bring them both and figure it out when I get there.

kaltesherz
10-08-10, 16:43
I'll probably bring my Spartan II vest again as it can carry my primary mags, secondary, secondary mags, IFAK, Camelbak... plus it stops bullets which is kinda nice. I'm used to wearing body armor during training, so it's comfortable for me. Plus my only chest rig doesn't really work with a secondary... oops.

Things people might want to bring:
-Earpro, electronic preferred
-Cleaning kit, or at least lube. Cleaning rods are good for stuck cases.
-Hat
-Hydration device or a least a pack of Gatorades
-Bug spray
-Sun screen (for those of you that are "pigment challenged")
-Snacks / lunch
-Gloves
-Comfortable clothes
-Wet weather gear (depending on forecast, but hey it's friggin' Washington
-Working knowledge of N.W.A lyrics, at least Straight Outta Compton and early Dre (now that "Evil Ben" aka bkb0000 is joining us)

MookNW
10-08-10, 16:46
I was talkin to Kaltesherz at the range the other day and we got hip to the idea of doing some drills out to 75-100 yds. If we're maxed out at 75. I'd like to use that distance for some stuff as my home range is a 25 yd indoor facility.

GitmoSmoke
10-08-10, 17:17
We are maxed out at 75 yards on our reserved range. If no one is on the long range we will be able to shoot out to 200 yards. We would just have to yield to anyone wanting to use it to sight in their deer rifle. Kind of strange since its shotgun only on the island, most people won't go across the pass to Okanagan county, and couldn't hit a deer at 200 yards anyway.
Don't worry about wearing some strange type of gear. I'm going to try a cobbled together mix of camelbak and 80's era LBE. I've got it to fit now we will see if it will last.

GitmoSmoke
10-13-10, 11:07
I created a word document diagram for the our reserved range. It prints out on 8.5x14 paper and it is almost to scale. Might be helpful if anyone is trying to figure out a CoF for us to try. PM me an email address and I'll send it to you. It is just barely too big to attach.

MookNW
10-13-10, 23:31

I'm gonna try my luck with one of these:http://www.skdtac.com/ATS_M4_Modular_Chest_Harness_p/3sk.106.htm Never ran a chest rig before, but I think it'll save a little time. It ain't got no bkb payload, but it's a start. I wanna hit up TT this weekend maybe and find a double or triple magpouch for the handgun.
I was hoping my peters holster (ordered 7/4)would be done by this event, but doesn't look good.

GitmoSmoke
10-15-10, 14:05
If anyone is allergic to bee stings I highly encourage you to bring your sting kit. For some reason we are having a yellow jacket problem at the club. I'm going out this weekend with lots of spray and hunt down the nests that must be close to us. So I hope it will be taken care of before we start shooting.
On a more positive note I hope the weather holds out! It's close to 60 and bright blue skies here. Weather Gussers are calling for it to last through Thursday, King5 and KOMO are saying we might see some light rain for the weekend, but it shouldn't be that bad. Can't wait to finally get in some shooting with the group.

MookNW
10-16-10, 00:32
For some reason we are having a yellow jacket problem at the club.
Dynamic! I like it.:ph34r:

DHart
10-17-10, 21:27
Ben... come on over to the Clark County Sheriff's office in Vancouver, WA and get your permit. WA State doles them out like ice cream bars to non-residents (with any half-decent reason). Pretty sure you won't get it by next weekend, though.

Or get your Utah permit, that will cover you for a bunch of states, including WA. So if you have a UT permit, you're good in WA.

vader
10-18-10, 02:13
ok guys let's start getting some carpool ideas rolling. I do have to work Sunday night at 9pm so other than that I'm open to whatever.

MookNW
10-18-10, 08:59
I'll be working up the COF's with bkboooo this week, it'll be similar to the Aug shoot. We'll probably do line drills for the first 1/3 of the day and some movin/shooting from cover kind of deal for the rest.
We should probably meet in a common place far all, like the Northgate Mall parking lot, where we can split up the carpools.
As of now, it seems like we may have 8-10 people max for this thing. Let's start a head count.

MookNW
10-18-10, 09:00
IN ( don't forget, 5 characters minimum)

GitmoSmoke
10-18-10, 09:24
I'm in too, however I don't think I'll meet you at Northgate. It figures that everything can't go too smoothly for us. Ferry problems on the Mukilteo/Clinton route. Hopefuly it won't cause too much of a delay. http://www.king5.com/news/local/One-ferry-out-of-service-on-Mukilteo-Clinton-route-105110019.html
Club street address is 398 West Safari St Coupeville. Google maps directions are correct for this address. I'll be there early setting up, can't wait to see everyone.

kaltesherz
10-18-10, 09:47
You can't spell killin' without I-N

MookNW
10-18-10, 15:28
We should probably meet in a common place far all, like the Northgate Mall parking lot, where we can split up the carpools.

Unless of course you're coming from the north. Gitmo, you live on the island right?

vader
10-18-10, 17:31
I'm in for sure. northgate mall works great for me. what time are ya thinking?

Hapainwa
10-18-10, 18:36
As Mook pointed out, I posted in the wrong slot. Wishing I could get away from work, but can't. I'll keep an eye out for future outings though.

MookNW
10-18-10, 19:37
As Mook pointed out, I posted in the wrong slot. .

I wasn't bustin' your chops man,:big_boss: I was just trying to get this thread where other Washingtonians could see it. Sorry you can't make it, you could probably learn us on some tigerswan style.

bkb0000
10-18-10, 22:31
im still in. any other Oreganoians coming?

MookNW
10-19-10, 00:08
edited for content

bkb0000
10-19-10, 01:52
maybe doublecheck and make sure we can't bring our own target boards.. i've got assloads of plywood silhouettes.

GitmoSmoke
10-19-10, 07:59
Yep I'm only 2 miles south of the range. I'll be there early to get the gate open and prepping. There doesn't seem to be any big tourist events on the island for Sunday so the ferry traffic shouldn't be bad coming on the island, Sunday evening leaving the island is usually a little heavier, but I've never seen more than a one boat wait on a non holiday weekend.
Legal targets for us to use are ones that will allow bullets to pass through and into the backstop. Paper and cardboard are preferred. The reasoning behind the no outside target rule is to keep people from setting targets on the ground and causing ricochets.
BKB the silhouette targets you have are probably fine for us to use. As long as we can mount them to the stands bring them.
Mook and I were talking about shoot/no shoot targets and using different colored targets, I also made up a pistol stencil and open hand stencil, so we could just spray paint either onto the target for the same effect.

Hapainwa
10-19-10, 10:55
MookNW, NO problems man, I've got thick skin and you were right. I'm more bummed I can't make it. Finally got my fun gun upper back from ADCO, and was looking forward to running it. Guess it'll have to wait.

MookNW
10-19-10, 11:25
Gitmo, these are the silhouettes/stands bkboooo is talking about. Are they ok? ( they worked great)http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/8393/027cql.jpg (http://img15.imageshack.us/i/027cql.jpg/) Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

GitmoSmoke
10-19-10, 11:35
Those stands would be great. If the single leg on the stand is 2x2 or less they will also fit into the pvc pipe set into the 75 yard line. We could have up to 14 targets on the line without having to use the portables. The extra stands I made up are 24x48 osb with two 1x2 legs. The best thing with either BKB or my stands is we wont have to worry about fixing the clubs equipment before we leave. Best picture of the portables is in my album on the bay 5 picture.

RBarker
10-20-10, 00:12
Dang...too many forums to check anymore and somehow I missed this!

I would love to attend but I doubt I could get up there on Sunday...put me down at tentative???

MookNW
10-20-10, 10:47
Train in the rain.
http://www.weather.com/weather/alerts/localalerts/USWA0395?phenomena=TSL&significance=S&areaid=WAZ508&office=KSEW&etn=c0939da6bded1ef7a2797291782b8475230bec84

GitmoSmoke
10-20-10, 11:11
Well at least we have the club house to dry off, and a covered area on the range to keep most things dry. The club grounds are mostly sand and gravel under a thin layer of topsoil, so drainage is very good and most likely we won't have too many puddles. since Central Whidbey also sits in the Olympic rain shadow the rain is usually gentle, but the wind can be worse than other areas.

vader
10-20-10, 14:09
no worries if you are for up here you own your fair share of gortex.

kaltesherz
10-20-10, 15:28
Train in the rain.
http://www.weather.com/weather/alerts/localalerts/USWA0395?phenomena=TSL&significance=S&areaid=WAZ508&office=KSEW&etn=c0939da6bded1ef7a2797291782b8475230bec84

FML

Well at least I have plenty of time to dig out my wet weather gear... so much for not looking like a member of the local militia...

MookNW
10-21-10, 02:39
Scored some cardboard silhouettes at wades today.
I'm bringing 2 shooters with me, maybe one more. I'll be catching the 7:00 ferry from Mukilteo to get things set up.

GitmoSmoke
10-21-10, 11:21
Mook, are the two or three shooters in your car on the list already or are they guests? Just trying to get a good head count to make sure we are going to have enough food prepared, ribs and beef brisket absorbing the rub as we speek. My middle son will probably be there, and maybe one other local from the club. I would have liked for the youngest boy to have been able to shoot with us, but he is in day three of boot camp at Ft Benning. I grabbed a big roll of craft paper and started cutting out IDPA size targets so we can patch the cardboard as we need to. Everything but the weather still looks good for us, and I'm going over to the club to put up a sign reminding the other members that we will have the range for our exclusive use on Sunday. Hopefuly that will minimize any hurt feelings. I'll conduct the safety brief and club rules at 0830, then turn the show over to Mook. The list so far
Mook
BKB
Kaltesherz
Vader
O'doyle
GlockWRX
HID237
Gitmo
RBarker is a maybe
That is 9 members, so if you are planning on coming, post and let us know.

vader
10-21-10, 12:02
i'm debating on weather to catch the 0700 or 0800 ferry. if anyone is in need of a ride from the greater Seattle area i have a 4 door Camry what can hold maybe 2 + gear.

MookNW
10-21-10, 12:07
I'm bringing hid237 and another guy who's having trouble getting his m4+ acct setup. His name is julius.

kaltesherz
10-21-10, 18:56
i'm debating on weather to catch the 0700 or 0800 ferry. if anyone is in need of a ride from the greater Seattle area i have a 4 door Camry what can hold maybe 2 + gear.

I was planning on taking my 2 door Honda but on second thought it might make more sense to car pool in bigger car. If it's just us two I can still drive. I was going to join Mook in showing up early to set up, would you be up for it?

bkb0000
10-21-10, 19:12
for the record, gentlemen, i will probably not be catching the early ferry.

what time is showtime, anyway? did i miss it?

MookNW
10-21-10, 19:57
Ferries run every 1/2 hr. http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/Ferries/Schedule/ScheduleDetail.aspx?tripdate=20101024&departingterm=14&arrivingterm=5&roundtrip=true They take about 30 min, and it's about 20 mi. to the club from the ferry.
Here's a loose sched for planning purposes:
9:00-10:00 Meet & greet/ Safety meeting/rifle zero
10:00-12:00 pistol/rifle line drills
12:00-1:00 Lunch
1:00-4:00 moving&shooting/transitions stuff
4:00-5:00 TBD/Shotgun??
5:00 cleanup
This will be a little more refined by Sunday.

GitmoSmoke
10-22-10, 09:01
It's really more like 30 minutes from the ferry terminal to the club. If anyone doesn't make the 7:00 ferry don't worry about it. I should have all the supplies staged Saturday afternoon. I can't see set up taking very long on Sunday. The gate will open from 8:00 to 12:00 just drive in and park. I'll be on the our reserved range, which is on the left side of the parking lot nearest to the gate. If you are earlier than that walk in or give a honk and I'll come and open the gate.
A few pointers for island driving. The Island County Sherriff is very proactive about speeding and tends to give tickets out more to people from off the island, they know you most likely won't come back to contest. South of Coupeville can be very unfriendly to gun owners. If you stop down there make sure your weps can't be seen from outside the car. Cell phone coverage is spotty. You can go from excellent signal to none in just a few yards.

MookNW
10-23-10, 13:17
Here's a link to the Northgate park n ride:
http://maps.google.com/maps?client=firefox-a&channel=s&hl=en&ie=UTF8&q=northgate+park+n+ride+seattle&fb=1&gl=us&hq=northgate+park+n+ride+seattle&hnear=northgate+park+n+ride+seattle&view=map&cid=13927440321092132789&iwloc=A&ved=0CB0QpQY&sa=X&ei=4yPDTLi9Co64tgOdmN3dDw
I think this would be a good place for car-poolers to leave their car and not get ticketed.
My car is fulled up, so I may or may not be at the p'n'r, but I will be on the 7 o'clock ferry from Mukilteo.

I'm gonna post a few things from the Aug1 shoot thread that are pretty important regarding safety:
Quoted from BKBOOOO:
"new people, if you're coming:

if you're new to tactical shooting, drop me a PM to set aside some quick, basic instruction before the shoot. we don't really over safety rules, weapon-handling, etc, during the shoot... most, if not all of us, have done/do tactical shooting on a regular basis, and it's assumed that everyone knows protocol. if you're lasering guys, running with the weapon on FIRE, have your finger on the trigger when not firing, etc... you WILL get a verbal bitch-slapping.

and a note to everyone, not just new people- it shall now be policy that everyone attending PNW shoots is to be considered an RSO. if you see anyone doing anything unsafe, at any time, it is your obligation to correct it on the spot. be looking at everyone's weapons to make sure they're either open or on safe, be watching peoples' muzzles, watch for fingers in the guard, etc. if you see me do something stupid, i absolutely expect you to call me on it. we all have little slips, and it's forgivable so long as nobody gets shot, but it still needs to be addressed.

that's how we make it habit- fear of public embarrassment.

also, and something i've been meaning to address since PNW's inception- who carries GSW-appropriate FAKs? another member PMed me today asking if blowout kits are required... they're not, but i'm thinking it might not be a bad idea to at least ensure somebody has a kit and knows how to use it for every event. CRPC is not exactly within shouting distance of a hospital, and the simple fact is: shit does happen. out very own Rangemaster shot himself in the ass last summer, for beautiful example.

so who's got GSW-appropriate first-aid kits? who's got some certification? "
Quoted from BKBOOOO:
"we average between 350-450 of rifle, and 200-250 of pistol. I'll have a better idea once i get a CoF for this event developed. it's never a bad idea to just always bring at least 500/300.. fact of the matter is, if we're shooting more than that, we're probably exceeding a day's worth of learning/retention."

MookNW
10-23-10, 13:19
So, who's bringing a GSW kit?

vader
10-23-10, 14:45
I'll bring mine. I have standard first aid and CPR training.

bkb0000
10-23-10, 14:58
any GOOD place to get ammo on the way up? fricken sunday- lot of places are closed..

i'm heading down into p-town today, partially to try to scare up some ammo, but not feeling very confident. i might be rolling up with 400 rounds of suck-dick walmart Federal .223 for almost $.40/round.

MookNW
10-23-10, 15:23
Gun show is in Puyallup this weekend, $8 to get in, they open at 8:00 http://www.washingtonarmscollectors.org/shows.htm
Good deals to be had there. BVAC .223 like $140/500 no tax. You would get to the island round noon.

bkb0000
10-23-10, 15:32
i could cut down 512 and take Enchanted back up to 5... it's not 3.5 hours from there to the range- if i left the gunshow at 8:30, i'd be there by 9:30, i'd think, looking at the map.

apparently there were some almost 10-year-ago prices on 5.56 at the expo last weekend... i ended up working through the weekend and completely forgot to go. the job was about 5 minutes from the expo center, too.... could have gone and been back before my guys got back from lunch.

MookNW
10-23-10, 20:12
I'll be in the Southwest most corner of the park n ride lot (by 103rd and 1st) at 6:00 tomorrow leaving at 6:15, got room for 1 more.

GlockWRX
10-25-10, 09:26
Here is my brief AAR on our shoot around on Sunday.

We spent the first part of the day getting a rough zero and working the kinks out. After that we worked on some tough pistol drills up close. Once we were all properly humbled, we set up some IDPA-esque courses of fire that incorporated movement, cover, and shooting while moving. In the middle of all this we had an awesome BBQ lunch provided by GitmoSmoke. It was hard to tear us away from those ribs and brisket, but we trudged back out to the range for more shooting. The last few hours of the day were spent just having fun with guns. “Do you think it’s possible to shoot 10 rounds into a pie plate in 2.5 seconds?” “I don’t know, lets try it!” AKs, shotguns, P7s, and Makarovs were pulled out of cases for some shoot around fun. It was a great day.

Here are my lessons learned:

1. GitmoSmoke knows his way around a BBQ.
2. Coupeville exists in a sort of weather Never, Never Land. Despite Sunday being the first DEATH STORM!!!! of 2010, it was rather pleasant at the range with very little rain.
3. Quantity 2 x G17 mags do not equal Quantity 1 x M4 mag. The best way to keep that mistake from happening is to throw your pistol mags in the dirt right in the middle of a stage so as to avoid confusion.
4. Sasquatch lives. He is now hairless and has a bunch of Army tats, but he exists.
5. Some guys are faster when their guns work.
6. Iron sights can get it done if the shooter can.
7. Never let a left handed shooter design a course of fire. They are devious and evil.
8. BattleComps are cheating, but in a good way.
9. Shotguns are fun.
10. AKs are fun, and will protect your right flank with awesome case ejection.
11. Charging your son $35 for shooting a barrel (aka as cover) is like taking candy from a baby. I think Gitmo earned enough for an Aimpoint.
12. Everyone wants a lead lined sap.
13. No one can shoot a pistol very well.
14. If you are missing the target, the best thing to do is to shoot faster.
15. If you are in a gunfight and have to advance on the enemy at an angle always angle to the strong side, because angling to the weak side is friggin’ hard.
16. It is hazardous to hang out with fellow gun geeks, as everyone walked away with a new toy on their Must Buy list.

I will need a decoder ring, because I know some guys by their screen name, and some by their real name, but only a few by both. So I’ll start: GlockWRX = Jason.

MookNW
10-25-10, 10:03
MookNW=Ben
Pics soon! Gotta go to work with a nasty gun hangover. 2.06 sec.

DHart
10-25-10, 11:11
Man I'm sorry I couldn't make this. :( But I'm sure looking forward to the next opp. :)

vader
10-25-10, 12:01
glockwrx so what you are saying is you can't put a G17 mag in an ar? weird. at least it worked better then my Springfield most times.

vader = mitch

GlockWRX
10-25-10, 12:21
glockwrx so what you are saying is you can't put a G17 mag in an ar? weird. at least it worked better then my Springfield most times.

vader = mitch

I don't know about one G17 mag. I always try two at a time and it no workie.....

I've switched that out, so now my rifle mag is at the front and the pistol mags are further back. That puts the pistol mags in about the same place as when I CCW. So let's hope it reduces the Gomer moves.

kaltesherz
10-25-10, 18:41
GlockWRX summed it up well, so all I have to add is:

17. Titlest is STILL a drug dealer.

A lot of learning occurred, ribs were gang-raped, and fun was had. Many thanks to everyone who showed up, esp Gitmo for securing the range and feeding us well, and Mook for running the show. It was a nice mix of training and show-and-tell with a little bit of good ol' fashioned "hey, I wonder if I can hit that from here..."

Kaltesherz = Sasquatch = Alejandro = El Guapo

hid237
10-25-10, 21:36
hid237= Anthony

Sunday i had the chance to experience a number of new things, with some new people. In all of the anticipation for yesterdays "shoot around" I new it would be fun....but holy goat shit that far exceeded all expectation! Thank you to all of you guys (you know who you are) for answering basic questions, constantly. Being patient with a novice. Allowing me to learn from you, and your toys. I cant wait (literally shopping right now!!) to take what i learned and incorporate it into what will no doubt be an awesome set up. hopefully by the next get together.... we'll see.

GitmoSmoke
10-26-10, 09:44
I'd like to say thanks to everyone who showed up and made the Whidbey shoot a great success! I received no complaints from the board or other members so I am sure if we want to do it again I won’t have any problem reserving the range. That is assuming I can lure everyone back with more BBQ. I am going to go ahead and reserve the short range again for February 26th. All 3 of my boys should be home then, and I am going to have a fun shoot for them so anyone who wants to can come and join us. Hopefully I’ll have enough saved up to buy another AR, and enough ammo to keep us going. I’ll start another thread for that. With that much lead time maybe we can get a few more members to attend.
My son is still pestering me to buy another AR so he can join in the fun more than he did. Mike would also like to thank everyone who helped him out and let him shoot their guns.
My lessons learned
1. Shooting on the move is harder than it looks. Maybe an aimpoint will help with that. I just can’t see well enough through the small aperture to get accurate shots off quickly.
2. Apex trigger job for the M&P. The parts should be in the mail soon. That trigger in Ben’s gun is just too smooth to let me put off the purchase any longer.
3. Don’t worry about looking stupid or clumsy. The point is to learn how to do this stuff. The only way that will happen is for me to keep working it.
4. Last, but most importantly, the PNW training group is an outstanding bunch of guys. If anyone wants to get away and enjoy the island life contact me and we will set something up
Gitmo = Andy

bkb0000
10-26-10, 18:48
where's the pics and vids??

i'm sorry i couldn't make it, gentlemen. did good ben explain my situation? big monkey wrench thrown into my gears, basically.. hopefully i was not missed.

how many people showed?

MookNW
10-26-10, 19:00
It was rad, sorry you couldn't make it. I think there were 8 peeps. Pics and vids up as soon as I can get the faces blurred. awesome venue, there will be another in Feb, so you'll have to host one on OR to tide me over till then.

bkb0000
10-26-10, 19:09
WILL DO. soon. 'cause now my itch to train like an SOB has no been scratched. you can only do what you can do alone- i don't reserve the range and pile my truck up with props and spend an hour to setup and an hour to take down when i shoot alone. i usually shoot during early day on weekdays, so i can usually drill down-range, but if another member shows up to shoot, i'm back standing behind the line like a Fudd.

really wish i'd gone- the decision not to was not easily arrived at. hell, i even built a whole damn gun solely for coming up there.

glad you guys had a good turn-out. this just lends more evidence to my thinking that WA needs to splinter off and make their own training group. not that i don't want you guys- but there's more Vashintanvian members in PNW than Oreganoians, and i think being limited to Oregon shoots and dates is probably holding some of you guys back.

TK said if there's a large enough interest, you could have your own group. so GTFO. j/k, but not really. :p

hid237
10-27-10, 01:30
I'm in....

DHart
10-27-10, 12:35
I'm sorry I missed this but until yesterday, I was AR-less. Finally I have my first AR and can't wait to join in with my fellow NorthWesterners in training! Being in Vancouver, WA, I'm closer to Oregon get togethers, but that wouldn't keep me from a Seattle-based meet up either. Yesterday, this arrived and I've only had time to shoot it in my small indoor home range... can't wait to get it out in the outdoors and really let loose! I also got a second upper, a BCM MID-14.5 with BC1.5 comp pinned.

http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/pp59/zmonki/M4%20Rifles/BCMMid-16LW.jpg

MookNW
10-27-10, 13:01
That looks badass dhart, I bet with that stock and the lw components up front, it really flies from low ready. I'll have pics from the shoot up this afternoon, with a link to youtube for the vids. Go Giants.

spamsammich
10-27-10, 13:04
I'm sorry I missed this but until yesterday, I was AR-less. Finally I have my first AR and can't wait to join in with my fellow NorthWesterners in training! Being in Vancouver, WA, I'm closer to Oregon get togethers, but that wouldn't keep me from a Seattle-based meet up either. Yesterday, this arrived and I've only had time to shoot it in my small indoor home range... can't wait to get it out in the outdoors and really let loose! I also got a second upper, a BCM MID-14.5 with BC1.5 comp pinned.

http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/pp59/zmonki/M4%20Rifles/BCMMid-16LW.jpg

If you do a heavy course of fire with that rifle, make sure you're wearing gloves. I learned the hard way, the AFG helps quite a bit, but after 4 quick mag dumps, I couldn't shoot without gloves.

DHart
10-27-10, 14:03
If you do a heavy course of fire with that rifle, make sure you're wearing gloves. I learned the hard way, the AFG helps quite a bit, but after 4 quick mag dumps, I couldn't shoot without gloves.

Thanks for the heads up. The handguard was comfortable last night with just 60 rounds or so of paced firing, but I can see how with a few quick mag dumps things could get a bit "hot". ;)

Here's my other upper that I received... still waiting for my second lower.

http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/pp59/zmonki/M4%20Rifles/BCMMid-145.jpg

vader
10-27-10, 17:18
next time more shotguns have to be there for sure.

MookNW
10-27-10, 18:49
Vader leading things offhttp://img41.imageshack.us/img41/6194/img4629edited1.jpg (http://img41.imageshack.us/i/img4629edited1.jpg/) Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us) Hid237 Wringin out the loaner gun http://img514.imageshack.us/img514/3030/img4626q.jpg (http://img514.imageshack.us/i/img4626q.jpg/) Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us) Glockwrx in motionhttp://img217.imageshack.us/img217/5354/img4618v.jpg (http://img217.imageshack.us/i/img4618v.jpg/) Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us) Kaltesherz doin a damn thing http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/1817/img4613s.jpg (http://img143.imageshack.us/i/img4613s.jpg/) Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us) Mikes secondary skills http://img819.imageshack.us/img819/1324/img4607edited1.jpg (http://img819.imageshack.us/i/img4607edited1.jpg/) Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us) Gitmosmoke laying it down http://img830.imageshack.us/img830/6932/img4609j.jpg (http://img830.imageshack.us/i/img4609j.jpg/) Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us) More Mikey http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/8366/img4604edited1.jpg (http://img233.imageshack.us/i/img4604edited1.jpg/) Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us) More Vader http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/4740/img4599edited1.jpg (http://img253.imageshack.us/i/img4599edited1.jpg/) Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us) Caesar http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/6076/img4593edited1.jpg (http://img59.imageshack.us/i/img4593edited1.jpg/) Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us) Hid237http://img109.imageshack.us/img109/5269/img4590edited1.jpg (http://img109.imageshack.us/i/img4590edited1.jpg/) Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us) Glockwrxhttp://img263.imageshack.us/img263/945/img4584edited1.jpg (http://img263.imageshack.us/i/img4584edited1.jpg/) Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us) Lunche http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/6802/img4558edited1.jpg (http://img408.imageshack.us/i/img4558edited1.jpg/) Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us) http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/5821/img4556copy.jpg (http://img29.imageshack.us/i/img4556copy.jpg/) Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/9927/img4550z.jpg (http://img440.imageshack.us/i/img4550z.jpg/) Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us) Kaltesherz sharing some knowledge http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/3944/img4548edited1copy.jpg (http://img59.imageshack.us/i/img4548edited1copy.jpg/) Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us) MookNWhttp://img219.imageshack.us/img219/4232/img4641ik.jpg (http://img219.imageshack.us/i/img4641ik.jpg/) Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us) Glock & Kaltesherzhttp://img514.imageshack.us/img514/5416/img4646edited1.jpg (http://img514.imageshack.us/i/img4646edited1.jpg/) Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

MookNW
10-27-10, 22:55
Glockwrx http://img51.imageshack.us/img51/1011/mvi4561.mp4
http://img248.imageshack.us/img248/5404/mvi4654.mp4
Vader http://img832.imageshack.us/img832/9414/mvi4562.mp4
http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/1045/mvi4661.mp4
http://img837.imageshack.us/img837/8651/mvi4653.mp4
Gitmosmoke http://img809.imageshack.us/img809/5599/mvi4563.mp4
http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/3984/mvi4571.mp4
Caesar6581 http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/8641/mvi4564.mp4
http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/3046/mvi4575.mp4
Kaltesherz http://img837.imageshack.us/img837/3434/mvi4566.mp4
http://img839.imageshack.us/img839/7348/mvi4578.mp4
http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/5334/mvi4672.mp4
Mikey http://img294.imageshack.us/img294/4967/mvi4567.mp4
MookNW http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/6381/mvi4568.mp4
Hid237 http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/2033/mvi4577.mp4
More this afternoon
-Mook

Dirk Williams
10-27-10, 23:30
Looks like you guys had a lot of fun. Thanks for sharing.

Dirk Williams

spamsammich
10-28-10, 00:30
Thanks for the heads up. The handguard was comfortable last night with just 60 rounds or so of paced firing, but I can see how with a few quick mag dumps things could get a bit "hot". ;)

Here's my other upper that I received... still waiting for my second lower.

http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/pp59/zmonki/M4%20Rifles/BCMMid-145.jpg

Battle comp is the shit with those BCM middy setups. I love mine. The best is to shoot a BC and a A2 back to back, it's really eye opening.

MookNW
10-28-10, 09:33
Links to vids up right after pics (post 107)

hid237
10-28-10, 21:52
great job on the filming!! Thanks Mook.