PDA

View Full Version : AR-15 pistol to SBR carbine?

Spike59
07-11-07, 13:19
I'm new to this genre of AR-15s. I want to build a SBR and I thought it would be easier to buy a RRA 10.5 pistol then start my SBR paperwork. I would have a working firearm until my paperwork has cleared and all I would need to finish would be a buffer assembly and a stock. Sounds easy but I have not read anywhere on this forum about anyone going this route. Am I missing something or can I go on with my plan. Any help on this matter will be appreciated!

GunLovinTexan
07-11-07, 14:03
its been done that way before, not the way I recommend but it works.

You can also buy the Lower then SBR it and put a SBR upper on it.

The way I recommend is to buy a Factory SBR such has a Colt 6921.

Rob

BookHound
07-11-07, 15:14
Spike59, my experiences are actually different from GunLovinTexan's. While I know several people who have bought factory SBRs, many more folks I know went the way you seem to be considering. Just don't put a vertical forward grip on it while it is a pistol or you've made an AOW!

Buy the pistol and have fun.
Engrave the lower.
Send in the Form 1.
When Form 1 is approved, slap a buttstock on the puppy.

Hang onto the pistol buffer as you might need it for another SBR in the future. ;)

Either way will work for ya though.

Mark

Spike59
07-11-07, 15:18
Thank you for responding to my thread. I'm glad I will be able to go the AR pistol route. I guess the way I see it the RRA AR pistol upper and lower should be about as perfect a fit as I could get. Function should be as good as I could hope for. From what I have read, the RRA is one of the better AR clones. I just want to have an entry level AR that I could expand on later. Once again, thanks for your info.

Spike59
07-11-07, 15:26
Thanks for the words of encouragement Bookhound. It seems like an easy way to make a SBR. I have a sheriff here in my county that I expect trouble getting my SBR. I read about so many people having trouble of one kind or another that I thought going the AR pistol route might be easy plus I have an AR to shoot in the mean time.

Sid Post
07-11-07, 19:42
I bought a complete CMMG 11.5 inch SBR. The nice thing was:
1) the price was good
2) I got it the way I wanted it, not the way the factory wanted to build it ;)
3) I also saved myself the hassle of having it engraved

You've waited this long so, how hard is to wait another ~2months to get your completed Form 4 back from the ATF?

BookHound
07-12-07, 20:35
Spike59, e-mail me at mark@politesocietyinc.com and I'll help you understand and create a Trust. Don't worry about the sheriff signing off.

No charge; not lookin' for anything other than a chance to help a fellow gun nut. Ya just gotta promise to do some good deed for someone else. ;) It might be the weekend before I can get to it though. I'm slammed.

The pistol route is a great way to go for a lot of folks. Sounds like it will be for you too.

Take care,

Mark

GunLovinTexan
07-12-07, 20:50
Bookhound the advatage of buying a complete factory SBR is not having to deal with the extra engraving.

I suggest if this is the way you must do it start looking for someone to engrave the extra stuff on the rifle for you or you learn how to do it.

Rob

BookHound
07-13-07, 07:44
I certainly understand that. Your point is a valid one. Engraving can be a headache for some folks. Kind of depends if someone in your area can do it in a tmiely and cost effective manner.

Mark

CarlosDJackal
07-29-07, 21:22
FWIW, this is how I built my SBR:

(1) I purchased a stripped RRA lower receiver.
(2) I filled out my paperwork and sent it off to the ATF NFA Branch in WV.
(3) I sent the stripped RRA lower received off to Orion Arms for engraving.
(4) After taking inventory of what lower receiver components I had on hand, I purchased what I was missing online.
(5) Upon receiving the engraved lower receiver (less than 2 weeks) I started assembling it.
(6) Once I completed the lower, I test-fired it using one of my 16-inch uppers.
(7) I ordered an LMT 10.5" upper with BCG (from TALON Arms).
(8) Upon receipt of the ATF paperwork, I took delivery of the upper (the vendor held on to it until then) and assembled the SBR.
(9) Tes-fired said SBR and purchased more pheriperals (IE: Magpul CTR, etc.).

To date, my SBR has not had a sisngle hiccup. Good luck!!