PDA

View Full Version : Most inexpensive reliable ammo (BCM)

HuttoAg96
09-19-10, 21:33
My apologies if this is covered elsewhere - I didn't see a sticky and the search is generating database errors...

I got my BCM lightweight middy a couple of weeks ago, and shot my first carbine match today with it. I was shooting the cheapo Tula 55 gr steel case today, and on my 3rd magazine I started getting stuck cases. Prior to that I'd only shot about 40-50 brown bear rounds, and I cleaned the chamber last night prior to the match. I guess maybe I can't get away with shooting cheapo ammo like I was hoping. That said, what is generally the least expensive brass case ammo that you've used reliably? I got the gun for carbine matches, run-and-gun type stuff, so I am not really concerned with how accurate/consistent the rounds are.

Thanks.

sadmin
09-19-10, 21:37
Right now, im into this:
Prvi Partizan PPU .223 M855 62grn - 1000 rounds - 299.00
I typically would be shooting 55grn, but its such a good deal.
http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=AP223M855

HuttoAg96
09-19-10, 21:43
I just ordered 500 rnds of silver bear from AIM, maybe they will let me change that over to the M855 if it hasn't shipped yet...

Edit - They did. 600 rounds of Prvi on the way for evaluation.

Hmac
09-19-10, 21:48
I've found PMC Bronze to be a great combination of accuracy and reliability. IIRC I've been paying $309/1000 for 55 grain and $319/1000 for M855 62 grain.

Palmetto State Armory - $12 shipping.

Jake Bauer
09-19-10, 22:37
Silver Bear from www.cheaperthandirt.com less than $5 a box. Dirty, but good.

Urabus23
09-19-10, 23:09
Silver Bear works pretty good in my rifle too.

SkiDevil
09-19-10, 23:36
My apologies if this is covered elsewhere - I didn't see a sticky and the search is generating database errors...

I got my BCM lightweight middy a couple of weeks ago, and shot my first carbine match today with it. I was shooting the cheapo Tula 55 gr steel case today, and on my 3rd magazine I started getting stuck cases. Prior to that I'd only shot about 40-50 brown bear rounds, and I cleaned the chamber last night prior to the match. I guess maybe I can't get away with shooting cheapo ammo like I was hoping. That said, what is generally the least expensive brass case ammo that you've used reliably? I got the gun for carbine matches, run-and-gun type stuff, so I am not really concerned with how accurate/consistent the rounds are.

Thanks.

This information may be of use to you. Rob_s' website has alot other useful information too.

Link: http://www.tacticalyellowvisor.net/8343/116021.html

I don't shoot steel cased ammo because most of my barrels are stainless steel (Noveske) and the manufacturer doesn't recommend it. However, I would agree that PMC Bronze, Remington UMC, Federal American Eagle, and Winchester USA are very good lesser cost alternatives to premium match type ammo.

I have shot thousands of rounds of these 4 manufacturers and never had a problem.

SkiDevil

Ditto on Palmetto State Armory, very good prices.;)

PrarieDog
09-20-10, 00:00
Stay away from the steel laquered cases. I have run into the same problem when the barrel/chamber got warm from repated firing. The silver bear should be ok as it is zinc coated but all in all I would go with something with a brass case.

Fried Chicken Blowout
09-20-10, 00:16
I just ordered 500 rnds of silver bear from AIM, maybe they will let me change that over to the M855 if it hasn't shipped yet...

If you're shooting in a match like I believe you said you were... look out for the M855 if there is any steel targets in the match. They might be pissed if you jack up their steel, unless it's beat already.

I run Federal American Eagle .223 and it can be bought for right at $311 Shipped per 1k rounds.

Iraqgunz
09-20-10, 01:42
Try the steel case Hornady 55gr. TAP. You won't be disappointed.

Thanks.

rob_s
09-20-10, 07:01
$309/k for SM193 (http://palmettostatearmory.com/1298.php) plus $12/k shipping.

I still haven't found anything better/less expensive in the brass department.

FWIW, I'm just finishing up my first k of Brown Bear 62 HP between two BCMs and have had no issues in matches and training classes. This Brown Bear 55 FMJ is $200/k (http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=ABB223FMJ55). I only point this out because that's 3k rounds of Brown Bear for the price of 2K rounds of pretty much any brass-cased ammo on the market.

ForTehNguyen
09-20-10, 07:54
Wideners has Golden Tiger steel case .223 for $180/k before shipping

fdxpilot
09-20-10, 14:38
$309/k for SM193 (http://palmettostatearmory.com/1298.php) plus $12/k shipping.

I still haven't found anything better/less expensive in the brass department.

FWIW, I'm just finishing up my first k of Brown Bear 62 HP between two BCMs and have had no issues in matches and training classes. This Brown Bear 55 FMJ is $200/k (http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=ABB223FMJ55). I only point this out because that's 3k rounds of Brown Bear for the price of 2K rounds of pretty much any brass-cased ammo on the market.

At the same store, look at XM193C in the 500rd cases. $149.75 per box, so $299.50/k plus the $12 shipping. I just got two boxes last week. Can't figure out why 2 500rd boxes are cheaper than 1000rd bulk pack, but I'll go with it.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/500.php

mike_556
09-20-10, 15:07
PSA are great folks, I've met the owner and three other employees--all gun guys with a NICE NEW storefront. Federal Xm193x has been good to me..Others have said otherwise. Except for Hornady's training ammo I personally STAY AWAY from steel cased, com-bloc mfg's....That is just MHO..

Entropy
09-20-10, 17:36

+1

Excellent training ammo, and believe it or not it is LACQUER coated steel case. :fie: There are guys that have shoot thousands of rounds of this stuff in carbine courses and haven't had any more problems than guys using brass cased M193. Hornady uses cleaner powders which helps.

All steel cased ammo generates more carbon buildup in the chamber because steel does not swell as much as brass does. So, the tighter chambers of western military rifles were having problems with stuck casings. Eastern Europe ammo is not only steel cased, but it is DIRTY. That is 2-strikes against it for the western market. Silver Bear and Golden Bear to not generate as much carbon buildup because they use slighly cleaner powders than brown bear. Wolf also started using cleaner powders in their ammo.

Clean your chamber with a chamber brush after shooting and it isn't a problem.

archad
09-20-10, 18:43
Wideners has Golden Tiger steel case .223 for $180/k before shipping

any bought n shot any of this ammo yet??

orionz06
09-20-10, 22:31
I am about 1900 rounds into my 2 cases of 62 gr Brown Bear and I havent regretted buying it one bit. It has not caused a single malfunction either.

nrose8989
09-21-10, 00:04
Sorry for the derail but what have been some of your experiences with the steel cased stuff at extended ranges? (200-300m)

I've shot several thousand rounds of Wolf over the years and recently Tula but now that I think about it I haven't tried running it past 100m.

Entropy
09-21-10, 10:25
Sorry for the derail but what have been some of your experiences with the steel cased stuff at extended ranges? (200-300m)

I've shot several thousand rounds of Wolf over the years and recently Tula but now that I think about it I haven't tried running it past 100m.

Since steel cased ammo doesn't swell as well as brass does, you get more gases escaping into the chamber. This causes lots of variations velocity and thus, accuracy. Military steel cased ammo is primarily issued to general infantry with open sights, or machine guns. Even the Ruskies use brass cased ammo for their precision weapons. Steel cased ammo is decent at giving combat accuracy with open sights at typical combat ranges which are under 200m.

Kchen986
09-21-10, 10:32
Privi-Partizan & PMC ammo has always done well by me. Too much conflicting information regarding steel/bi-metal casings, so I tend to eschew them in favor of not worrying about malfunctions.

JmacAr
09-21-10, 10:41
I've had no issues with silver bear and I am sure brown bear would work fine is well. That deal above though, $309 for 1k of brass is a pretty darn good deal.

Rated21R
09-21-10, 10:48

This.

I ran this almost exclusively during the MD class that I attended recently without issue. It's good stuff.

rob_s
09-21-10, 11:10
At the same store, look at XM193C in the 500rd cases. $149.75 per box, so $299.50/k plus the $12 shipping. I just got two boxes last week. Can't figure out why 2 500rd boxes are cheaper than 1000rd bulk pack, but I'll go with it.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/500.php

I thought I remembered that one but the link didn't jump out at me on FB so I posted the bulk pack, thanks.

I'm also confused as to why bulk pack is less than boxed. Here's hoping the bulk pack comes down even more!

mike_556
09-21-10, 12:24
I thought I remembered that one but the link didn't jump out at me on FB so I posted the bulk pack, thanks.

I'm also confused as to why bulk pack is less than boxed. Here's hoping the bulk pack comes down even more!

That's not a bad price at all all things considered....I hope it comes down even more too--like $175/1000:)

HuttoAg96
09-21-10, 12:28
Thanks for the replies and information, I really appreciate it. I've still got several hundred rounds of brown bear to evaluate, with 600 rounds of M855 Prvi on the way from AIM surplus, who was nice enough to let me sub out my silver bear order for it. I need to find a "known good" round that won't cost me an arm and a leg, as I hope to take a Pat Rogers or Magpul carbine course next year sometime.

All the carbine matches at the local range are target-intensive, 40 yards or less shooting. No steel plates are used in the carbine matches for obvious reasons.

KellyTTE
09-21-10, 12:42
This showed up on another forum yesterday. Brass cased, allegedly boxer primed (ATG says misprinted boxes).

http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/product_info.php/pName/800rds-556-hotshot-ss109-62gr-penetrator-ammo/cName/223-556-fmj-ammo

Hair over .23 a round. No personal experience, but I'm cautiously optimistic.

ForTehNguyen
09-21-10, 15:50
any bought n shot any of this ammo yet??

I've bought but havent shot. I was under the impression that Brown Bear, Monarch, Golden Tiger is from the same manufacturer and I've shot a bunch of Monarch with no problems. Never had a problem with wolf either.