PDA

View Full Version : Vortex Razor 1-4x Durability

et2041
09-20-10, 15:09
Without getting into too many details about my carelessness:

My Razor 1-4x took a nasty fall from my buddy's reloading bench. It was a about a 45" fall onto concrete while still attached to my LaRue LT-104 mount. The scope landed at an angle on the windage knob, denting it and misaligning the cap.

After I looked it over, it was taken out to the range this past weekend. The scope performed flawless and was still holding zero just fine. I had to get a new cap for the windage tower, but she is still right on the money accuracy wise.

Tell me I'm drinking the "Razor Koolaid" but they have got an outstanding product, and their warranty covered MY mistake no questions asked. I'm not certain how the other manufacturers would handle something like that but Vortex stands behind their VIP warranty 100%.

TAZ
09-20-10, 16:38
Glad to hear Vortex took care of you, although it's my understanding that this kind of behavior is par for the course from them.

How do you like the 1-4. I am seriously contemplating getting one for a Reece build. One of the complaints that the bigger PST scopes have gotten was loose knobs. Is that the case with the 1-4 or did they fix it. I can deal with looser knobs on a bolt gun, but a carbine that may take some abuse, not so much.

shootist~
09-20-10, 23:07
One of the complaints that the bigger PST scopes have gotten was loose knobs. Is that the case with the 1-4 or did they fix it. I can deal with looser knobs on a bolt gun, but a carbine that may take some abuse, not so much.

The Razor and PST are not the same line - the Razor being the top of the line / more expensive of the two. The PST's (with modified turrets) is still on the horizon. I don't think any PST 1-4's were released in the early batch. Still waiting on mine.

et2041
09-21-10, 07:09
Glad to hear Vortex took care of you, although it's my understanding that this kind of behavior is par for the course from them.

How do you like the 1-4. I am seriously contemplating getting one for a Reece build. One of the complaints that the bigger PST scopes have gotten was loose knobs. Is that the case with the 1-4 or did they fix it. I can deal with looser knobs on a bolt gun, but a carbine that may take some abuse, not so much.

The Razor and Viper PST are completely different optics. The Razor is their scope to play with the big boys and market wise would be comparable to Nightforce. I have held both in my hands and the Razor is beefier, has noticably better glass, larger turrets and is made in Japan (designed and engineered here in the US by Vortex). In short the Razor is a completely different animal.

In answer to the question of how I like it...I love it and after this mishap I am completely sold on the Razor and Vortex customer service.

TAZ
09-21-10, 13:05
Apologies. Wasn't aware that Vortex put out a 1-4 in the Razor family. Assumed you were talking about the PST version. Just got done checking their web page and saw they offer different reticle options than what's on the PST. Which one did you go with and how do you like it? Was really excited about the PST versions as they seemed like a good compromise between using the donut to go fast, but still having a mil scale for ranging and/or holdovers at distance.

et2041
09-21-10, 16:06
Apologies. Wasn't aware that Vortex put out a 1-4 in the Razor family. Assumed you were talking about the PST version. Just got done checking their web page and saw they offer different reticle options than what's on the PST. Which one did you go with and how do you like it? Was really excited about the PST versions as they seemed like a good compromise between using the donut to go fast, but still having a mil scale for ranging and/or holdovers at distance.

I went with the EBR 556 reticle, although I did shoot the CQMR-1 as well. The CQMR has it's advantages but the EBR allows for faster ranging and does give you a bit more to sight off of when shooting CQB. I have a PST on order as well. The PST reticle is very nice and is a 2nd focal plane optic offered in MOA or MRAD. I will get the MRAD this time around as the 1-4x Razor is only available in MOA. Hope this helps with your decision.

hitman1012
09-22-10, 08:29
Have you ever compared your Vortex to a 1-4 NF? I was debating getting the Vortex but there is not a whole lot of feedback out there yet. Thanks

et2041
09-22-10, 10:08
I have not. I would love to though. I have however read posts on Snipers Hide where they have commented on both (albeit the big brother of my scope 5x-20). One thing that is for certain is the Vortex vs. Nightforce Warranty. Big difference between the two and Vortex is so confident in the quality that it is essentially forever and transferable no matter what happens. I doubt Nightforce would have covered my damaged scope because it was of my own neglect.