PDA

View Full Version : Apex extractor?

JohnN
09-20-10, 16:37
I've been running 9mm M&P's since they first came out and never had an extraction issue. Will the Apex extractor make the gun more bulletproof or not really necessary? If you do change extractors should you replace the spring at the same time and/or use a heavier spring that SSS has available?

Sry0fcr
09-20-10, 16:57
If you don't have extraction issues I don't see the point in an upgraded extractor. From what I understand the extraction issues really only crop up when shooting WWB. Someone will be along shortly to confirm that I'm sure.

LHQuattro
09-20-10, 18:33
My experience with 2 M&P9s....both had occasional extraction issues. And not just with WWB. One of the guns got an APEX extractor awhile ago....no issue since (about 1000 rounds ago). Gun #2, thought I was in the clear, and just had a partial extraction with WWB brass in a handload. It had already had the extractor replaced once by S&W.

My take...the M&P9s are not quite there yet. If you're not having any problems, great. But when you do, just upgrade to the APEX part.

In fairness though, I've never had a problem with any factory round (about 1800 fired so far) though an M&P. The other 7000 rounds were all my handloads, and the M&Ps don't seem to be very forgiving regarding extraction of suspect ammo - especially with WWB. My Glock 19 and BHP digest everything, my non-Apex M&P9 is a little more finicky. The Apex gun eats everything.

Having the Apex extractor in one gun has been worth it for me. If I could afford factory ammo, probably wouldn't care.

Randy Lee
09-20-10, 22:40
While I hate to turn away a potential customer, my personal feeling is that unless you are having extraction issues there really isn't a need to use our extractor.

That said, if you do end up replacing your extractor with ours, I recommend using the factory spring. I designed the claw to have an aggressive bite on the case using the original spring. An extra strength spring will only cause the slide to stall as it goes into battery.

Most who use our extractors will find there is about a 200 round break-in process. The sharp profile will burnish itself in and provide very positive extraction.

-Randy

JohnN
09-21-10, 01:28
Thanks guys, I appreciate the answers.

G34Shooter
09-21-10, 10:53
Look at this sucker, you can probably use it to extract your wisdom teeth :D

http://i941.photobucket.com/albums/ad251/SShenaniguns/b748e042.jpg
http://i941.photobucket.com/albums/ad251/SShenaniguns/35dfbbe0.jpg