PDA

View Full Version : Who changes glock gen III grip to gen II

AFCATM
09-20-10, 22:13
I am looking at buying a 19 gen III had a few before but the finger grooves are what push me away. I had a gen II years ago and I sold it out of stupidity for a gen III to get the light rail.

I really would like the finger grooves removed and a good 360 stipple job done on it. No reduction in grip size that is fine to me but the finger grooves gotta go.

I have done a search but was unsucessful.

AFCATM
09-20-10, 22:15
the other stuff I was going to do is get Hienie sights, Wolff 5lb trigger spring and a ghost connector for it. Clean it up. Polish the metal to metal parts. Add a "butt Plug" and shoot the snot out of it.

Ak44
09-20-10, 22:45
Boresight Solutions or Bowie Tactical :confused:

DocGKR
09-21-10, 00:45
Using conservative estimates:

Finger groove removal: 5 minutes w/Dremel
Good 360 stipple job: 2 hours w/soldering iron
Hienie sight intstall: 15 minutes
Wolff 5lb trigger spring install (why?): 2 minutes
Ghost connector install (consider Glock OEM): 5 minutes
Polish the metal to metal parts: 5 minutes
Add a "butt Plug": 1 minute or less

If you don't want to DIY, then Boresight or Bowie are GREAT options.

AFCATM
09-21-10, 02:03
Thanks Doc, I am a little hesitant in trying to do it myself but I may just do that. I guess I can do it as long as I take my time. Would a soldering needle be better? I am looking at either a GLock 19 or an M&P 9/40. I am still leaning towards the Glock cause I have gone through the GLock Armorers course but I am in need of attending a new one to get current. Either way I was looking at doing the same grip job on either one. For either of them I am looking at the same sights I have not completely decided on Heinie I may got with XS 24/7 Big Dot Tritiums. I may add on a light to my pistol either way. Just mainly concerned with getting rid of the finger grooves and keeping it professional looking. What can I say I like my guns to still look nice.

macnamara
09-21-10, 07:17
You can try it yourself. If you're handy that is.

Get a wood burning kit from Wally World. They're cheap and have a greater variety of bits to use rather than a standard soldering iron.

I started off practicing on some old KAC rails I had laying around, just to get a feel for it.

Try and plan out what you want from the texturing, and stick to the plan.

Whatever you do, take your time and be methodical. Also a well ventilated area (or cheap 3M mask) will also help.

As for the groove reduction, it is more than possible. I have been playing with the idea of removing mine for some time now. It shouldn't be too hard...I recently rounded the "corner" of the trigger guard on my Glock and also removed some of the guard that was impacting my finger and it was easier than I thought it would be.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/29676628@N04/4958306512/sizes/l/in/photostream/

Tomahawk_Ghost
09-21-10, 09:24
Here's a trigger job you can do yourself.

http://www.alpharubicon.com/mrpoyz/glock/

In honesty though, 9 years ago I had a grip reduction done on my Glock 22 Arizona Expert Arms. While it won't win a beauty contest I love the way the gun feels and handles. Also the trigger was a lot smoother when I got it back.

Unfortunately Derek doesn't do grip reductions any more. To much information online now for people to do there own.

boondocksaint
09-21-10, 14:16
I don't know if it's bad form or against any rules to post for a specific gun smith. I'll PM you the info for a guy I know.

VolGrad
09-21-10, 14:29
Boresight Solutions is my recommendation. Ben does excellent work. It ain't cheap and it ain't quick but then quality usually isn't.

DocGKR
09-21-10, 16:01
There are a lot of good sights out there--I like Warrens on my G19's, although Ameriglo, 10-8, Heinie, etc... are also good.

I use a cheap Weller soldering iron with a nail shaped tip for my stippling.

ColdDeadHands
09-22-10, 06:33
I prefer the finger grooves, they never bothered me.

stony275
09-22-10, 07:51
I don't like finger grooves and I wanted a more uniform surface and contour upon which to put skateboard tape on my Gen 3 Glock 17. I used a wood rasp and knocked down the finger grooves as well as removing the pseudo checkering on the front strap.

I ran it like this for years, but recently read somewhere that it might be a tad thin in the front due to the material removal. I ordered a small Acraglas kit from Brownells and built up the area on the front strap. The initial result upon removing the clay dam for the Acraglas resembled a domino that had been microwaved while it was on the front strap (not pretty in not downright disturbing). Sandpaper applied to a large paint stick with spray adhesive was the primary tool for removing the excess material and establishing the rough contour.

A finishing touch using the shoe shine method and fine grit emery cloth got the front strap contour to the desired profile. On went a new strip of 3M grip tape.

I'm very pleased with the outcome.

(Warren one dot sights , Vickers mag release and a butt plug are the only other changes)