PDA

View Full Version : Aimpoint Question or Two....

Razorhunter
07-11-07, 21:17
Guys,
I'm thinking of selling off an item or two, to fund an Aimpoint or Eotech.
I have just a couple questions on each:
AIMPOINT:

1. Can someone finally clear this up for me? I've ALWAYS wondered the exact difference between the CompM2/ML2 and Comp3/ML3???
I THINK that the CompML2 is NON NV compatible and:
-the CompM2 IS NV Compatible.... -IOW, the "L" notation means it is NOT NV compatible.. CORRECT???

2. Even though I do not think I will ever buy a 3x magnifier for my Aimpoint, I still "visually" prefer the look of the offset (forward cantilever) Larue mount.
Is there any downside/disadvantage to choosing the forward-offset/cantilever Larue mount for the Aimpoint, EVEN IF I may never use the 3x magnifier????

3. What is the run time of the Aimpoints??? I know I've seen Pat Rogers? talk about leaving his on all the time (never turning it off), and I kind of thought that was cool. I just want to know the run times, so I can do the math and see how many months/years a battery will give... I just got a little confused over the past few months, since there have been several new models out..

Thanks guys...

FJB
07-11-07, 21:45
Paul,
The M series are for applications for use with Night Vision Devices.

The ML series are for those applications that need the same rugged durability, but don't need to use it with Night Vision Devices.

The LaRue Tactical Cantilever mount is designed to provide more rail space on M4s so that you can also mount an Aimpoint 3X or AN/PVS 14 NVD and a Back Up Iron Sight. Unless you are running a monolithic rail upper (competition for rail space is not an issue) then get the cantilever mount so if you decide to get a 3X you won't have to buy a new mount. Aimpoints have unlimited eye relief and unlimited field of view (well limited to the field of view of your MK1 issued eyeballs) so mounting that far forward will not be an issue.

The M/ML 2 has a 10,000 hour constant on battery life (8760 hours/year) with one 1/3N Lithium. It is submersible to 80 feet.

The M/ML 3 has a 50,000 hour constant on battery life with one 1/3N Lithium. It is submersible to 150 feet.

The CompM4 has a 80,000+ hour constant on battery life with AA Lithium. 60,000+ battery life with the new 7 year shelf life Alkaline AAs. It is submersible to 150 feet and comes with its own integral mount.

FYI, the CompC3 is similiar to the ML3 except that it is only submersible to 15 feet vice 150 feet.

LaRue Tactical offers excellent combo deals on Aimpoints with their mounts.

Recommend you use the search engine here at M4Carbine.net and 10-8Forums.com to find out more info.

S/F

Erick Gelhaus
07-11-07, 21:50
1) You've got it right. M and the # has the NV settings; ML and # doesn't;
2) I used a cantilever mount with my Aimpoint (a CompM2) for at least 4 years. No issues, worked just fine;
3) I can't recall the published battery life times off the top of my head. With my CompM2 I'm pretty sure I changed the batteries at the 6 month intervals, but there had not been any dimming or diminishing of the dot at those points.
Bill Jeans' mentions a student who turned an Aimpoint on when he landed in the M/E and turned it off when he departed 6 months later with no issues;
I picked up a CompM3 in the Spring of '06 and have not yet needed to change the power supply.

Erick

Razorhunter
07-11-07, 23:20
Thanks so much for clearing that up guys. Admittadely, I try to use the search function as much as possible, but honestly, it's late, I'm beat, and I'd like to get my optic ordered tomorrow, so I APPRECIATE you guys helping me out.
Here's a couple on the Eotech that I did not see in my Eotech catalog (might be outdated), nor the search function (although I'm sure the answers DO exist somehwere amongst the threads.

1. What is the model # of the Eotech that has the single red dot (like the Aimpoints), with NO huge red circle around the dot??

I may go with an Eotech, depending on what I can find out on the weight difference between the above mentioned Eotechs/Aimpoints. So hard to decide...
Thanks so much guys...

FJB
07-12-07, 01:20
Paul,
Some things that need to be considered when purchasing an combat optic that you’ll trust with your life is durability, reliability, simplicity, and life cycle costs. The intent is not to create a debate about which optic is the best but to compare life cycle costs of military combat optics based on Apples and Apples as best possible, thus I used only the data provided by each manufacturer for their optics that are NVD compatible for military use, manufacturers suggested retail price, as well as an approximate battery cost based on a Google search.

EOTech 510 AA Batteries 350 Hours MAP List price $419

EOTech 557 AA Batteries 1100 Hours MAP List Price $569

Aimpoint CompM4 single AA Battery 80,000 Hours MAP List Price $702

Aimpoint CompM3 w/QRP mount single 1/3N Lithium Battery 50,000 Hours MAP $594
Aimpoint CompM2 w/QRP mount single 1/3N Lithium Battery 10,000 Hours MAP
$535

Comparative Usage Costs:

$702 - Aimpoint CompM4 single AA (based on new 7 year shelf life Alkaline AA batteries at 8760 hours/year = 61,320 Hours - 80,000 with AA Lithium)

$597 - Aimpoint CompM3 + 2 1/3N Lithium batteries at $3 ea

$556 - Aimpoint CompM2 + 8 1/3N Lithium batteries at $3 ea

$594 - EOTech 510 + 350 AA Batteries at $0.50 ea

$625 - EOTech 557 + 112 AA Batteries at $0.50 ea

S/F

RHR
07-13-07, 07:02
1. What is the model # of the Eotech that has the single red dot (like the Aimpoints), with NO huge red circle around the dot??

512.D1/552.D1