PDA

View Full Version : Poor mans Mag Coupler

devildogljb
09-21-10, 02:14
I wanted to get a mag coupler for my mags but came across a problem i couldnt afford one and none have been up for trade and did not want to use duct tape. But i got to thinking i have a alot of 550 para cord (650 will probley work just as well) for when i make survival bracelets and sell on the weekend. So went to figuring out a way to making the 550 cord into a mag coupler for my pmags. At first i just tied them together not taking in account with the dust cover being down with out rubbing against it and the space needed to clear the magwell with out rubbing. So i took one of my bracelets that i had made that day and trimmed it to the length and used that as a spacer. A double cobra braid seems to work the best(search youtube for videos on how to tie). Once tied very tight you will most likely need to adjust the spacer position with a knife to get the proper spacing so your empty mag wont rub against the dust cover. Im sure you could use something else as a spacer but i just worked with what i had. I tested it out at the range and its held of very well. But i just wanted to share this to give some guys that are in my situation with money the idea but im sure im not the only one.
http://i989.photobucket.com/albums/af14/devildogljb/magcoupler2.jpg
http://i989.photobucket.com/albums/af14/devildogljb/magcoupler.jpg
http://i989.photobucket.com/albums/af14/devildogljb/magcoupler4.jpg
http://i989.photobucket.com/albums/af14/devildogljb/magcoupler3.jpg
http://i989.photobucket.com/albums/af14/devildogljb/magcoupler5.jpg

ChicagoTex
09-21-10, 05:07
Clever, cheap, and functional way to dabble in the mag coupling concept - good idea since most people who try it find they wind up not liking it very much.

Let us know your thoughts and experiences after shooting with it.

devildogljb
09-21-10, 05:37
Clever, cheap, and functional way to dabble in the mag coupling concept - good idea since most people who try it find they wind up not liking it very much.

Let us know your thoughts and experiences after shooting with it.

well i already tried it out and while shooting its held up hasnt come loose at all but i made sure when tying it was very tight. I didnt want to post this with out trying it first and get slammed later on for it not working when some one else has tried it. Granted i have not tried this with the metal gi mags so i cant not speak how it work out hopefully some one tries it out and post some pics and reports on the results. As for Pmags i cant complain put through 60 rounds rapid fire through my mp-15 with this set up and didnt miss a beat(not that i had to worry about that to begin with the smith and pmags) The crazy stuff a guy will come up with when he has insomina lol And cant beat the price about 1 or 2 dollars worth of para cord

DaBears_85
09-21-10, 10:42
Ah, para cord...

My apologies, I gave you too little credit. When I first looked at it I thought those were rubber bands.

Have you tried duct tape?

mike_556
09-21-10, 12:22
Interesting!! That's a neat idea..

big 54r
09-21-10, 12:55
seems like it would be a good idea to stagger the mags somewhat to me, so as to keep the dust cover closed and not get caught up when charging the gun and it then snaps open.....

az doug
09-21-10, 13:27
seems like it would be a good idea to stagger the mags somewhat to me, so as to keep the dust cover closed and not get caught up when charging the gun and it then snaps open.....

Also start with the right magazine inserted first. That way the second mag does not block the bolt release after the mag change.

devildogljb
09-21-10, 14:06
Also start with the right magazine inserted first. That way the second mag does not block the bolt release after the mag change.

bolt release is never blocked its easy reached as if theres only one mag in, As for the the dust cover i just insert the mag to the right first so the dust cover is free to open ad close freely as for when the left mag inserted, it clears the dust cover freely theres no rubbing its just not able to be close but this is just for the range for regular shooting speed runs and home defense so im not really worried about the dust cover able to open and close when the empty mag prevents it from being closed

devildogljb
09-21-10, 14:12
Ah, para cord...

My apologies, I gave you too little credit. When I first looked at it I thought those were rubber bands.

Have you tried duct tape?

nope no rubber bands seems like it that wouldnt even work way too much give. And duct tape didnt seem to be the right stuff to be using in this situation not to mention i didnt have any on hand so out came the para cord. Never know when youll need some any way

T2J
09-21-10, 15:38
Once upon a time this was done with zipties as well.

devildogljb
09-21-10, 15:47
Once upon a time this was done with zipties as well.

wow how did i not think to use that ill have to try that out tonight to see how it works, thanks for the idea

Moose-Knuckle
09-21-10, 17:52
Nice, but time consuming. In a pinch 100 mph tape (aka majik juju tape works).

devildogljb
09-22-10, 16:46
Nice, but time consuming. In a pinch 100 mph tape (aka majik juju tape works).

its not that time consuming took about 10 mins of work

Moose-Knuckle
09-22-10, 19:17
its not that time consuming took about 10 mins of work

Tapes about 10 seconds.

devildogljb
09-22-10, 19:49
Tapes about 10 seconds.

well i wasnt in that much of a hurry so i did it with para cord

Byron
09-22-10, 20:05
From a DIY/craft/ingenuity standpoint, it's pretty neat. From a functional standpoint? I think you're asking for trouble.

Not that paracord is delicate stuff, but it sure as hell isn't as durable as the mags or the gun. It will fray. It will absorb solvents and other liquids. It will shrink/stretch in a non-uniform manner over time based on conditions. That non-uniform shifting could of course place irregular stress on the magazines. Certainly not enough to break them, but maybe just enough to make them feed a little less reliably. And especially with that spacer, it will shift over time.

There are certain parts of the rifle that will allow the user DIY solutions with little consequence. A paracord wrap on the handguards, for example, isn't going to stop the gun from running if it goes awry. The magazine is the weak point of any semi-auto though: not something I'd want to be playing around with, especially since you say this is a HD weapon.

If it's just a matter of saving $43 for a pmag coupler (http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=27286/Product/AR_15_M16_AR_STYLE__308_FASTMAG_PMAG_COUPLER), I think your cost analysis is off.

devildogljb
09-22-10, 20:13
From a DIY/craft/ingenuity standpoint, it's pretty neat. From a functional standpoint? I think you're asking for trouble.

Not that paracord is delicate stuff, but it sure as hell isn't as durable as the mags or the gun. It will fray. It will absorb solvents and other liquids. It will shrink/stretch in a non-uniform manner over time based on conditions. That non-uniform shifting could of course place irregular stress on the magazines. Certainly not enough to break them, but maybe just enough to make them feed a little less reliably. And especially with that spacer, it will shift over time.

There are certain parts of the rifle that will allow the user DIY solutions with little consequence. A paracord wrap on the handguards, for example, isn't going to stop the gun from running if it goes awry. The magazine is the weak point of any semi-auto though: not something I'd want to be playing around with, especially since you say this is a HD weapon.

If it's just a matter of saving $43 for a pmag coupler (http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=27286/Product/AR_15_M16_AR_STYLE__308_FASTMAG_PMAG_COUPLER), I think your cost analysis is off.

Oh i dont disagree with you but i should explain myself more i have a total of 4 pmags i keep a single mag in the rifle at all times i just did this for the hell of it for at the range and for speed drills thats all it doesnt stay in my rifle at home. Ive been trying to do some trading on the exchange for a redi mag or redi mod so time will tell

theRedSkull
09-23-10, 17:35
wow, never seen that one before.

markm
09-23-10, 20:43
LApolicegear.com has MagGrip pmag couplers for $18 on close out.

Icculus
09-24-10, 09:08

$43? wow

LApolicegear.com has MagGrip pmag couplers for $18 on close out.

Same one I tried. If the closeout ever ends they are also avail at Rainier which is where I picked it up MagGrip (http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=1496)

luckybychoice
09-25-10, 04:04
i like it,i'm always looking for a good use of paracord

devildogljb
09-25-10, 04:12
" I think your cost analysis is off."

Its not off, 43 dollars is money i cant spend at least for awhile, the company i was working for closed down so i stick to trading on here for things that i want/need for my ar. I just worked with what i got. "Improvise,Adapt, Overcome"