PDA

View Full Version : Trying to "date" a S&W .38

boondocksaint
09-21-10, 12:52
Hey guys,

I am trying to get at least an approximate manufacture date for a back up gun somebody in my agency was issued and to figure out if it's safe.

The gun is a S&W .38, Model 36. The s/n is: J431850.

This gun is NOT stamped .38 +P, but our agency only issues +P .38 ammo. It doesn't seem too safe to me to use +P ammo in a gun not rated for it....Maybe somebody can educate me a bit.

cathellsk
09-21-10, 15:30
That serial number puts it in the '76-'77 timeframe. +P ammo will increase wear to it but not as bad as you think. Just keep it checked out by dept. amourer.

sjohnny
09-21-10, 15:33
Smith started using model numbers in 1957. Previous to that the models all had names - the 36 was the Chief's Special. Smith has said in the past that +P is okay in any model numbered steel framed gun. +P .38 Special is still pretty low pressure stuff. If it were mine I wouldn't worry about shooting +P through it.

Alpha Sierra
09-21-10, 16:03
+P .38 Special is still pretty low pressure stuff. If it were mine I wouldn't worry about shooting +P through it.
This

Shoot it and enjoy it

Dave James
09-21-10, 18:14
The J frames are a little tuffer then most give credit for, we issued them for pocket carry bug for years and where required to qual twice yearly with carry ammo at the time as I remember it was some +p 110 stuff, practice was 148 grain issued wad cutter.

Only group I ever heard shoot them apart where the Secert Service president details

boondocksaint
09-21-10, 18:35
This

Shoot it and enjoy it

I actually came out of pocket to buy my own S&W 442 as a BUG. I like knowing how many rounds have been through it, how well it has been taken care of, etc...

A guy in my squad had this Model 36 sent to him from HQ and I was just concerned about whether or not it was actually rated for the +P ammo. Based on the '76-'77 manufacture estimate, the gun is older than he is :D

Thanks for the info!