PDA

View Full Version : Some Glock 22 Gen 4 questions...

kaltblitz
09-21-10, 14:32
Since no one in my department has purchased a Glock 22 Gen 4 yet and because I am in CA where these pistols are not prevalent yet I have not had the opportunity to shoot one. I currently have a call into Glock's local LE rep to see if I can get my hands on one.

So...

I figured I would ask those here that either own or have played with one some of my questions. I understand the that recoil perception varies greatly from person to person, but here goes...

1) Do you find the grip angle difference awkward at all after using a Gen 3?

2) Do you find the perceived recoil to be any different between Gen 3 and Gen 4 (pertains to G22 only)? How about versus a S&W M&P?

3) Do you find the trigger pull/feel to be any different?

4) Do you trust the Gen 22 Gen 4 more or less than previous G22 models?

JHC
09-21-10, 19:00
I don't know. But . . . maybe as an LEO you can get more inside scoop via this about how the ATF made its purchasing decision and any answers to you specific questions.

Phase 2 tests we know something about. Shooter induced malfunctions: M&P 16, Glock 7. Neither gun had any gun induced malfunctions. The Phase 3 testing involved 20K rd reliability and durability tests and more.

http://pistol-training.com/archives/3642#comments

"Well, since it has been discussed in a number of places online, I suppose it is safe to announce (or perhaps confirm is the better word) that ATF has selected the Glocks 22 and 27 for its next agency-wide handgun."

longball
09-21-10, 20:17
I have been using a gen 4 22 for the last few months and personally I am not as happy with it as I was the gen 3. The most common problems I see is the gun locking up when removing the slide. I don't know why or what causes it but the slides will come about half way off then lock up tight. My biggest problem is my trigger finger rubs the inside of the bottom of the trigger guard and causes blisters. I put the medium grip insert/addition/whatever it is on and fixed the blisters but now the whole grip feels dorked up (IMO) because the additional part doesn't fit flush. Personally, I feel more comfortable with the gen 3. Just my $.02

Abraxas
09-21-10, 20:44
There have been some problems with the trigger not resetting on a few of the gen 4 22 here where I work. Personally I am not happy with them. Though to be fair, if we are talking Glock I only really trust the 17 & 19. When it comes to .40 cal I prefer the M&P and a few others. But that is just me. Since I have been issued a 22 then I will carry one but only because I have to:rolleyes:.

D. Christopher
09-21-10, 23:12

DocGKR
09-22-10, 03:28
1) Do you find the grip angle difference awkward at all after using a Gen 3? No. Be aware that we've seen several of the grips inadvertently knocked off 4th gen guns while in use; I think I would use the 4th gen Glocks without the grip additions.

2) Do you find the perceived recoil to be any different between Gen 3 and Gen 4 (pertains to G22 only)? Slightly less perceived recoil with the 4th gen. How about versus a S&W M&P? For me, the M&P40 has a much softer perceived recoil than any G22.

3) Do you find the trigger pull/feel to be any different? Although nice and crisp, the stock 4th gen trigger pull is heavier than the 3rd gen; this is purportedly being fixed by Glock.

4) Do you trust the Gen 22 Gen 4 more or less than previous G22 models? Since I despised the 3rd gen G22, that is a hard call. The 4th gen G22's have not fared particularly well in a couple of large LE agency tests; on the other hand, they seem to have worked well for the ATF trials. At this time, the only Glocks I would personally choose to carry are the 3rd gen 9mm's (although I could live with a G21sf if I had to). I go with M&P's if I want a .40 or .45.

Alpha Sierra
09-22-10, 05:50
The most common problems I see is the gun locking up when removing the slide. I don't know why or what causes it but the slides will come about half way off then lock up tight.

Ditch the factory recoil spring assembly for a Glockmeister unit with the standard spring rate and I bet your problem goes away.

The front coil of the factory guide rod/spring on my G17 tends to get hung up on the guide rod hole at the front of the slide and that gets the flange on the back side of the guide rod to wander off its seat on the barrel lug. Once it does that, if it tilts sideways back there it can hang up on other stuff inside the gun.

I suspect the same is happening to you.

kjdoski
09-22-10, 08:09
Kev- I don't have the G22 Gen4, but I have both the 3rd Gen G19 and Gen4 G19.

I find that, while I prefer the "slim" Gen4 grip shape in my hand, I have no trouble transitioning to the 3rd Gen grip or vice versa.

I really don't find any reduction in recoil worthy of note with the Gen4 G19, though I will probably buy a Gen4 G23 to try out when they're on the market.

The Gen4 trigger is definitely noticeably stiffer and somewhat heavier than the 3rd Gen trigger.

My Gen4 G19 had several instances of trigger failing to reset at about the 2,000 round mark (without any cleaning/maintenance - mind you, when I detail cleaned the pistol, the problem immediately disappeared). My Gen4 has more than it's fair share of the reported "voids" in the frame, where polymer has flaked off to expose the underlying steel rails - possibly this polymer flaked into the trigger mechanism, which is what caused the failure to reset? Lastly, my Gen4 has a strange, cosmetic only but annoying loss of finish around the guide rod cut on the front of the slide - never seen that before with any Glock.

Overall, I've gone back to 3rd Gen G19s for my carry.

However, having said all that, my understanding is that the Gen4 G22 IS reliable with mounted lights, something the 3rd Gen could never pull off. For an open-carry, duty, light-mounted option, I think the Gen4 G22 is worth a look...

Regards,

Kevin

Robb Jensen
09-22-10, 10:44
Since no one in my department has purchased a Glock 22 Gen 4 yet and because I am in CA where these pistols are not prevalent yet I have not had the opportunity to shoot one. I currently have a call into Glock's local LE rep to see if I can get my hands on one.

So...

I figured I would ask those here that either own or have played with one some of my questions. I understand the that recoil perception varies greatly from person to person, but here goes...

1) Do you find the grip angle difference awkward at all after using a Gen 3? I like my G22 Gen4 and G17 Gen4 grips using the medium back piece which makes it the same as a Gen 3.

2) Do you find the perceived recoil to be any different between Gen 3 and Gen 4 (pertains to G22 only)? How about versus a S&W M&P?
I find that the Glock 22 Gen4s have a considerably less muzzle flips vs. a Glock 22 Gen 3. I've fired in excess of 15K rounds of .40 through Glock 22 Gen 3s and just over 3K rounds though my Glock 22 Gen4. I find the Glock 22 Gen4 also muzzle flips less than the M&P40 as well although the muzzle flip on a M&P40 isn't bad at all.

3) Do you find the trigger pull/feel to be any different? The Gen4s typically have a slightly heavier trigger pull. This is do to the trigger bar and connector housing. A 3.5lb connector and a Gen3 trigger bar will lighten it up a whole lot.

4) Do you trust the Gen 22 Gen 4 more or less than previous G22 models? I find the Glock 22 Gen4 to be more reliable (100% here) than the previous Glock 22 Gen2 and Gen3s that I've owned.

Answers in red above.