PDA

View Full Version : Specter MOUT sings?

CM-4
07-12-07, 08:43
Anyone use these? They look like they are real nice. I will put one on my 6920 for duty use. They look like a good single point sling.

ST911
07-12-07, 10:12
Can't speak on the MOUT specifically, but I have bunches of their other models. They are sewn well. Buckles, sliders, etc have all held up. Excellent customer service.

Drummer
07-12-07, 18:28
I ordered eight of them for use by an agency tac team. At the time, the QD adapter wasn't available for the Wilderness single pt. slings, so I went with the MOUTs because I wanted to be able to remove the sling from the rifle when working around vehicles.

The quality was good on the slings. We never had any issues with durability in the couple of years they were in use. The only issue that I had was the QD adapter getting bumped and losing the rifle. It only happened once and it was at a range during live-fire drills. A magazine on my vest apparently hit the fastex buckle. I don't know how the other side got pushed, but it happened.

I would recommend that you go with a single pt. sling from the Wilderness and also get the QD adapter. The QD buckle that the Wilderness uses is better quality, so I do not think that an accidental release would happen with it. I have a personally owned wilderness sling, if that says anything. Their webbing is also higher quality than anyone else's that i've found.

mhmills
07-13-07, 03:15
I have the Wilderness and would highly recommend it also if you get a second QD adaptor and mount it to the front swivel you can switch from single point to two point in a second.

A friend of mine is a Fed. LEO and has the Specter sling on his M4 which was my first choice until I found the Wilderness, the QD adaptors changed my mind.

After using both I believe that I made the right choice(for me).

The Wilderness uses heavier webbing and buckles

I attached mine using a DD Burnsed Loop 1 1/4"

BookHound
07-13-07, 08:59
I love Specter Gear slings. The quality is really great, IMHO, and they are the only slings I use on all my rifles and subguns. But I don't like single-point slings for my application. As they say, YMMV.

The single-points allow a faster transition to the other shoulder. The down side is when you drop the weapon and let it hang the result is often the barrel hitting your groin or knees. And if you take a knee, muzzle goes into the dirt. If you are wearing body armor the weapon flopping around might not hit anything or at least not as badly.

A two or three-point sling keeps the weapon a little more stable, IMHO, when you are going hands off the weapon.

I also don't like quick release slings, mostly due to a very similar experience to Drummer's. I was in a Hackathorn class and we were doing weapon transitions. During a transition I tossed my weapon around my back to get it out of the way and the buckle came loose. The AR landed about six feet behind me on the gravel. Not cool.

So for me, it is three-point Specter Gear slings with no buckles or other quick releases. You must decide what is best for your mission. Sounds like the MOUT may be a good choice for you. As to the quality of the MOUNT and other Specter Gear slings, I'm a fan.

Mark

Sam
07-13-07, 09:42
http://www.vickerstactical.com/Tips/carbineSlings.htm

SHIVAN
07-13-07, 11:00
I love mine. I have used it well since my first carbine course a Blackwater several years ago.

I don't find that it's a problem when going to the ground to kneel, squat or prone out.

I don't like the fact that someone could "get control of you" with the single point sling in hand-to-hand. However, the MOUT does have a quick release, and I will be running a fixed blade knife on my 6004 and one in my mag gear soon.

BSHNT2015
07-13-07, 15:44
http://www.vikingtactics.com/prod_sling_VTAC-MK1-a.html

I use Viking Tactical at work. Next to Vickers, they're good gear.

Haji
07-14-07, 23:43
I have a MOUT that I don't use much anymore. Well made sling, but I replaced my single point with a two point VCAS. The VCAS has all the advantages of the one point and the three point, and works better than both.