PDA

View Full Version : Early 6.8 mags and upper

Business_Casual
07-31-06, 14:58
Hello, new to the forum. I'm a civilian shooter and hobby AR user with no "real world" experience. I picked the name Modern Pirate just because I was reading a book about the Barbary Coast. ;)

I was shooting my PRI 6.8 SPC upper at the range yesterday for the second time. The first time I barely got three rounds through it before it had stuck case problems. I polished or whatever you want to call it, the chamber with a chamber (5.56) brush on a drill with plenty of FP10. Now this time I didn't have stuck cases.

I did have failures to feed, or more precisely rounds getting hung up in the feed ramps and setting the bullets back far enough to be dangerous (beyond the start of the ogive). The magazines also failed to lock the bolt back on empty. The mags and upper are both very early PRI production. It has been so long that I don't even know where the receipts are and can only guess that it has been two years. Not sure that there's a warranty.

Any ideas on whether the mags or perhaps early chamber dimensions could be the culprit? Thoughts, guesses, suggestions appreciated.

M_P

Hoplophile
07-31-06, 21:43
Failure to feed is often a magazine problem. You might want to try loosening or tightening the mag catch a turn in either direction.

PE556
08-01-06, 07:35
My MSTN upper is over two years old and has a “2” stamped on the barrel near the muzzle end. (MSTN got their barrels from PRI.) I talked to Wes about this a while back and he said that was to note a change in the chamber dimensions. I’m not sure what the changes were.

I haven’t had any feeding or extraction issues with my upper or PRI mags.

DocGKR
08-01-06, 08:42
We have a very early PRI upper (July of 2003) along with quite a few of the initial mags with the metal followers--we have had NO problems with this set-up. Why don't you call up Dave Dunlap at PRI (419 629-2603), describe your malfunctions, see what he thinks might be the problem, and determine what the solution is?

Forest
08-02-06, 10:13
I've got a 6.8 upper with no extended feed ramps. Out of my 3 early PRI 15 round magazines (the ones with the metal followers) two of them needed one of the lips slightly (every so slightly) bent back. IIRC they both had an issue feeding from the right side. I've had no such issues with my newer PRI magazines with the plastic followers.

Business_Casual
08-02-06, 10:35
All,

Thanks. Doc - will do. Forest - they have metal followers. I actually wondered if there was an anti-dive version, perhaps I should check on that.

M_P

DocGKR
08-02-06, 12:10
The new ones with the plastic followers seem to help with that...then again, we been lucky and haven't had any problems with the old ones yet.

Impact
08-02-06, 13:33
check the new 6.8SPC CP products mags. They come with Magpul followers.

Business_Casual
08-07-06, 18:11
Just for the chance someone else experiences this and reads this thread:

I ordered some of the Magpul 6.8 followers from PRI today. The person I spoke to (Not Dave D.) suggested I try that to start.

If it solves the problem or not, I will report back; again for future reference.

M_P