PDA

View Full Version : Worth it to do a complete AR Build?

ARRRRR15!
07-12-07, 10:45
I've been thinking about buying the parts, piece by piece, barrel, gas tube, upper receiver etc. Because I could do it a little at a time and not feel the immediate crunch of spending $700-1000 up front. :eek: and because I'd have more control over the quality of each part. BUT, Here's the issue: I'm not mechanically inclined. I've helped friends put AR-15 lowers together, but a monkey could do that. I'm more concerned about puting in the upper, ensuring headspacing, properly putting on the front sight/gas block. That sort of thing. So my questions, from this novice are:

1) Do you think I should attempt it?:confused: :confused: :eek: :confused:

2) If so, Will it end up costing me more than buying outright? I know I'll have to buy tools and headspace gauges and upper receiver blocks, etc.

AR15barrels
07-12-07, 11:05
I've been thinking about buying the parts, piece by piece, barrel, gas tube, upper receiver etc. Because I could do it a little at a time and not feel the immediate crunch of spending $700-1000 up front. :eek: and because I'm BUT, Here's the issue: I'm not mechanically inclined. I've helped friends put AR-15 lowers together, but a monkey could do that. I'm more concernec about puting in the upper, ensuring headspacing, properly putting on the front sight/gas block. That sort of thing. So my questions, from this novice are:

2) If so, Will it end up costing me more than buying outright? I know I'll have to buy tools and headspace gauges and upper receiver blocks, etc.

If it's just one build, it will cost you more in tools than paying someone else just to do the assembly.

Gather up all those parts.
I charge $25 to assemble an upper.
I also do all the little things like checking headspace, rail alignment and tweak the gas tube for proper fit.

The tools to do it yourself are going to be at least $40

http://ar15barrels.com/tech/tools.jpg

ARRRRR15!
07-12-07, 11:16
Randall,
I'm so dissapointed in that incomplete picture of building tools. Ya' think you could post one with a more than just one or two tools :D :D :D !! Wow, I didn't know all those tools were out there. Thanks for the advice.

Are you accepting orders again, or still workin' on a huge backlog?

C4IGrant
07-12-07, 11:40
I've been thinking about buying the parts, piece by piece, barrel, gas tube, upper receiver etc. Because I could do it a little at a time and not feel the immediate crunch of spending $700-1000 up front. :eek: and because I'd have more control over the quality of each part. BUT, Here's the issue: I'm not mechanically inclined. I've helped friends put AR-15 lowers together, but a monkey could do that. I'm more concerned about puting in the upper, ensuring headspacing, properly putting on the front sight/gas block. That sort of thing. So my questions, from this novice are:

If your trying to budget and buy something every month, then I think will save money just because you will avoid the 11% FET.

When customers order all their parts from me, I do not charge for installation.

C4

Razorhunter
07-12-07, 13:05
Pardon me, but at what point is headspace checked???
I mean, I've disassembled and reassembled M4's tons of times now, but I'm just wondering WHEN/at what point, is headspace checked????
I guess what I'm getting at would be this: Is headspace something that is checked/adjusted/tweaked only ONCE, at the time the rifle is actually built for the first time???
Thanks.

AR-15A3
07-12-07, 14:17

My suggestion is to have Grant build your upper to avoid buying tools to keep your build cost down.

But you could build the lower half yourself by just using common punches, all you would really need is a carbine stock wrench if you're going to build a carbine.

When you build your lower be careful to support the thin receiver area at the rear trigger guard hole when installing the trigger guard pin and mask the receiver with masking tape to prevent scratches when assembling the lower.

Good luck.

AR15barrels
07-12-07, 18:05
Randall,
I'm so dissapointed in that incomplete picture of building tools. Ya' think you could post one with a more than just one or two tools :D :D :D !! Wow, I didn't know all those tools were out there. Thanks for the advice.

Are you accepting orders again, or still workin' on a huge backlog?

That picture is OLD, but those tools will do most jobs.
I actually have a lot more than that, these are just the common ones.

I have never stopped doing service work.
Still backlogged like mad on custom made barrels and not accepting orders for those.

AR15barrels
07-12-07, 18:08
Pardon me, but at what point is headspace checked???
I mean, I've disassembled and reassembled M4's tons of times now, but I'm just wondering WHEN/at what point, is headspace checked????
I guess what I'm getting at would be this: Is headspace something that is checked/adjusted/tweaked only ONCE, at the time the rifle is actually built for the first time???
Thanks.

Headspace can be checked at ANY point, and SHOULD be checked once a year on any gun getting moderate to heavy use or whenever a bolt is paired with a barrel.

You can't readily adjust or correct for headspace besides swapping out for a new bolt (1st) or a new barrel (2nd).

signal4l
07-12-07, 18:42
M & A parts cn set wou up with a decent headspaced upper, bolt, carrier. Build your own lower. Push in 2 pins. Load mags. Shoot.

AR15barrels
07-13-07, 02:29
M & A parts cn set wou up with a decent headspaced upper, bolt, carrier. Build your own lower. Push in 2 pins. Load mags. Shoot.

This is not to say that I condone the purchase of parts from any of the bottom tier gunshow parts sellers, but I would buy a model 1 before I would buy an M&A parts upper.
I don't recommend Model 1 either though.
Step up to J&T or Del-ton.
Those are a safer bet.

signal4l
07-13-07, 11:06
I didnt realize that there was a problem with the quaility of M&A. Learn something new every day ....

UVvis
07-13-07, 12:05
This is not to say that I condone the purchase of parts from any of the bottom tier gunshow parts sellers, but I would buy a model 1 before I would buy an M&A parts upper.
I don't recommend Model 1 either though.
Step up to J&T or Del-ton.
Those are a safer bet.

I got a Model 1 upper a while back to play around with. It took a little fixing to get it to run right. It is a decent cheap blaster, and once "fixed" has been fairly reliable. It has a standard non chromed bore and chamber. Shooting poly wolf I've had a stuck case or two.

For a serious use gun, or for a 1st AR or primary gun, I wouldn't recommend this option. If you want a cheap blaster to try to kill by hard use and/or learn troubleshooting, and to save 'goofing off' wear from your better guns, then they aren't bad.

AR15barrels
07-13-07, 12:32
I didnt realize that there was a problem with the quaility of M&A. Learn something new every day ....

My word is not gospel.
Research it for yourself.

xm15
07-15-07, 01:07
the pic you put up has "T" the 308 block.
I made one out of delrin at work when I got my MUR. almost identical to it
figures I could have bought one and saved some time!
oh well free.