PDA

View Full Version : 1911 Grip Screw Recommendation

scottryan
09-22-10, 10:48
I'm looking for some hex or torx head grips screws for standard width grips.

I'm looking at Wilson, Ed Brown, C&S, Swenson, and EGW.

I need matte blue finish, matte blackened stainless would be better if such a thing exists.

What do you recommend?

Its going on a factory Colt with factory grip screw bushings.

lifecycle
09-22-10, 11:54
Who knew my first post would be talking to another Nebraskan...
(albeit I am currently transplanted elsewhere)

Personally I have had good experiences with Ed Brown products myself, though you might want to consider supporting NE's economy and go with C&S.

I met Bill a few years ago at SHOT and he is very personable; give him a call and see what he can do for ya.

If you wanted that matte blackened stainless; you could have the screw grit blasted with Aluminum Oxide and then Roguard it.
Another option would be do a "conversion" coating process that produces a black chrome-sulfide.

Either way works and both improve corrosion resistance; a nice feature to have on a part that lives in the "suck" of salty, sweaty shooting hands.

Hope that helps.

Shawn.L
09-22-10, 12:01
regarless of make (ive had a few and disnt notice any differences) I suggest flat heads. I have stripped both allen and torx heads, and if you have a screw start to back out and your grip get loose in the middle of a class or match its no prob to tighten a flat head up.

on a related note, I also prefer to use rubber washers on my grip screws so they dont back out and it eats up vibration.

SWATcop556
09-22-10, 12:04
Any specific reason for the hex or torx screws?

cdunn
09-22-10, 12:20
regarless of make (ive had a few and disnt notice any differences) I suggest flat heads. I have stripped both allen and torx heads, and if you have a screw start to back out and your grip get loose in the middle of a class or match its no prob to tighten a flat head up.

on a related note, I also prefer to use rubber washers on my grip screws so they dont back out and it eats up vibration.

+1 look at 10-8 they have new screws listed.
http://10-8performance.com/1911_Components.html
look near the bottom.

Aubrey
09-22-10, 12:20
Internal hex and Torx and combo-head screws look kewl but have no great advantage of conventional slotted-head screws other than they are a bit less likely to get buggered up when torques are kept on the reasonable side. But, as stated above, having the appropriate driver available when you need it may be a problem. IIRC the original spec slotted screws could be turned with the rim of a .45 ACP casing. Hilton Yam has such screws on his 10-8 Performance web store, but the original screws from your Colt may be similar. Buy a few spares and replace them when/if they get buggered up.

There are many "improvements" that people make to their 1911s because they have to "customize" them that are a step backward IMO.

TOrrock
09-22-10, 12:21
I actually replaced my Torx with standard slot screws.....since I'll always have a standard screw driver head with me or something that can be used as such.

After going through one fairly intensive handgun class with a Springfield MC Operator and their Torx head screws backing out under heavy fire evolutions, I went old school on all my 1911's.

scottryan
09-22-10, 14:06
Interesting.

I was wanting the hex or torx cause I want to try several different grips on this gun.

I wanted to keep the factory screws in factory condition and not have them buggered up with constant removal and install.

I may just use the factory ones.

scottryan
09-22-10, 14:10

What do you use for a washer?

Dave Berryhill
09-22-10, 15:05
regardless of make (ive had a few and disnt notice any differences) I suggest flat heads. I have stripped both allen and torx heads, and if you have a screw start to back out and your grip get loose in the middle of a class or match its no prob to tighten a flat head up....

Amen to that. Another reason is because the heads of most allen and torx grip screws break off fairly easily. The hole goes into the head of the screw and is close to the same diameter as the threaded shank, leaving only a thin ring of steel between the head and the shank (next time you break one off, take a close look at it :D )

I look at grip screws as being consumable so don't get emotionally attached to them. They are relatively cheap so use slotted screws and when they get boogered-up, toss them out and replace them with new ones.

Ttwwaack
09-22-10, 15:35
Colts new custom shop web site has either their standard blue or matte blue grip screws for $7.00 for a set of 4 compared to other distributors who hit you for 4.95 a copy. Greg

Chuck
09-22-10, 15:38
I to have experienced head seperation with hex head screws. And these were from several major players, NOT John Masen parts.
I prefer the narrow slot screws.
Use a quality screwdriver that fits well, not a butterknife, and the slots do not get screwed up.

NCPatrolAR
09-22-10, 15:47
Slotted screwheads for me. I've stripped out enough of the hex versions that there is no reason to use them

Stan Chen
09-22-10, 19:15
Another vote for thin slotted screws here.

Of late, I've been getting mine from Heirloom Precision...good stuff!

obucina
09-22-10, 19:23
i love this site. I got the fancy pants, radiation torx screws with my multicam grips from VZ, I think I'll be swapping to flat heads soon.

Pappabear
09-22-10, 21:45
I had a problem with my TRP grips coming loose and the grips seemed to not tighten real tight. I tried the 10-8 screws and they work like none I've ever tried. I bought some extras to keep on hand when my others strip out.

Try the 10-8 screws. They make me:D

8200rpm
09-22-10, 23:40
I recently purchased a set of Swenson slotted grip screws in blue. The slots are too narrow to use with a case rim like the 10-8. The flat head screwdriver on my multi-tool fits fine. The finish is a satin blue... not quite high polished blue, but it is no where near matte parkerized.

They are really inexpensive... $2.39 per 4 with a Midway dealer discount.

Install them with a little clear finger nail polish or Loc-tite on the threads. They backed out on me at the range.

Joe R.
09-23-10, 09:53
Another vote for the 10-8 grip screws.

LHS
09-24-10, 00:38
Another vote for the 10-8 grip screws. The original GI screw design is the best ever made. Being able to tighten them up with a Leatherman tool or a cartridge rim is pretty handy, and the 10-8 screws are probably the best-made rendition of this design.

bluedevil99
09-24-10, 21:21
Hogue grip screws. I bought them from Midway, but I'm sure you could find them elsewhere too.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productnumber=463414

If you ever wind up destroying the bushing as I have (I'm still pissed at myself over this), check these out:
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productnumber=734065