PDA

View Full Version : Quick question/opinions on IFAK bag sizes / My IFAK kit

Wilco
09-22-10, 15:50
Hey guys, i've been doing some research, and have it down to the following bags. Just a little about myself. I am a EMT-B (not for a living though) and also have my wilderness EMT.

The SpecOps Compact IFAK bag
http://specopstech.com/osc/product_info.php?products_id=1651{1}32

The TT IFAK bag
http://www.tacticaltailor.com/medicpouch.aspx?variation=841

I love TT stuff, and have quite a bit of their gear, and it works well, and is tough to boot. I have looked at other IFAK bags, but they just seem enormous. I like the SpecOps compact bag (two Molles, smaller footprint) and is wondering of peoples experiences with both sizes and if the small bag can take all of my gear.

My kit is for the range and when I am at my ranch, which 30 miles from the nearest town. My kit will include:

Combat tourniquet , 4" gauze, 4" gauze squares, 4" Kerlix, 4" Ace bandage, nas airway, benchmade model 7, sharpie, tape, Hemostatic Agent, Asherman Chest Seal, some minor boo boo bandages, pocket mask, 2 x 6" Izzy bandages, three sets of gloves and some of the instruction/how to cards (in case it is me, and my friends are working on me).

Obviously the tourniquet and benchmade can be on the bag outside or on my first line belt. I wondering if this will fit in a compact bag, or if I need to go with a bigger bag/and I missing something you would add to my kit? thank you for any responses.

Decon
09-23-10, 21:44
I'm not confident that will all fit in a compact. May also depend on what you mean by pocket mask and if you care about the organization

mikeross506
09-30-10, 19:42
Organization is huge. Nobody wants to reach into there kit during high stress and have everything fall onto the ground!

Rmplstlskn
09-30-10, 20:27
That is a lot of stuff, some of it bulky... I have the TT and it is big. The flaws as this medical novice sees it... No slot for shears, no velcro for NKA and blood type patches, and the pouch on the front lid needs to be packed well and closed as it flips upside down when you close it...

I also use the rip-off add-on so I can rip the whole kit off my gear if needed... Makes for a stiff pouch but I think the easy off is worth it...

But it holds all my stuff... Stuff I hope I never need, and as with anyone who even ponders making a IFAK, you have already pondered the worst case, realize how even a IFAK is lacking, so you try to get just a bit more supplies in there...

All the sudden you are hauling one of these around... LOL!
http://www.wwyd.org/images/Rmpl/FirstAid (2).jpg
http://www.wwyd.org/images/Rmpl/FirstAid (5).jpg

Rmpl

Mikey
09-30-10, 20:32
no velcro for NKA and blood type patches

You don't need that. You won't get blood stateside without getting typed, ever.

Wilco
10-02-10, 13:10
I think i'm going to go with the BFG medic bag. I like how it is not a tear away bag, but you can get everything out of the bag, as well as being able to have spots to put your TQ and BM 7 Hook on the outside.

chuckman
10-03-10, 07:50
You won't get blood stateside without getting typed, ever.

Well, you will, but it will just be emergency-release type O. But you will get labs, which will include a trype and cross. The blood type patch is pretty much irrelevent no matter where you are. Minor point, and I am quibling.

OP...you have a lot of stuff. KISS applies. The bags/kits themselves, just find what works for you. You have some good choices, but bags are less important, especially in the civvy setting.

Mikey
10-03-10, 07:53
Well, you will, but it will just be emergency-release type O. But you will get labs, which will include a trype and cross. The blood type patch is pretty much irrelevent no matter where you are. Minor point, and I am quibling.

OP...you have a lot of stuff. KISS applies. The bags/kits themselves, just find what works for you. You have some good choices, but bags are less important, especially in the civvy setting.

Either way, they aren't going to give you blood based on a Velcro patch you're wearing.

Mike

chuckman
10-03-10, 09:42
Either way, they aren't going to give you blood based on a Velcro patch you're wearing.

Mike

True. Which is why I never fully understood the explosion in popularity of these things, but that's down a different rabbit trail.

mikeross506
10-03-10, 15:51
[QUOTE=chuckman;774718]True. Which is why I never fully understood the explosion in popularity of these things, but that's down a different rabbit trail.[

I don't know when it started but it was our Battalion's SOP to have them labeled on our kevlar, boot tops, and front of our shirt. Then it slowly carried over to having it on a tag on the straps of our helmets. Next, came the patches that velcro'd to the ACUs.

chuckman
10-03-10, 18:29
[QUOTE=chuckman;774718]True. Which is why I never fully understood the explosion in popularity of these things, but that's down a different rabbit trail.[

I don't know when it started but it was our Battalion's SOP to have them labeled on our kevlar, boot tops, and front of our shirt. Then it slowly carried over to having it on a tag on the straps of our helmets. Next, came the patches that velcro'd to the ACUs.

I find this interesting because we (corpsmen) were told NEVER to transfuse without a type/match, or to transfuse O neg. We were advised to even not pay attention to dog tags.