PDA

View Full Version : Steel replacement Guide Rods for Glocks?

boondocksaint
09-22-10, 18:19
Sorry if this has been hashed out already...If so, can somebody point me in the right direction?

I tried to do a search and the site kept locking up on me. Don't know if that's because of the scty settings on my computer or the site itself...

Anyhow, I was looking at the stainless steel replacement guide rods (w/spring) for my G23. (glockstore.com)

Sounds like a good idea in theory. Anybody got any direct experience with these? Are they a legit option for adding a little weight up front and reducing recoil/aiding controllability (sp?) ?

Or, are they "snake oil"?

Thanks.

varoadking
09-22-10, 18:29
I have a stainless guide rod in all of my Glocks...

If you have a Gen1 thru Gen3:

http://www.gunsprings.com/index.cfm?page=items&cID=1&mID=5#123

Redneck19
09-22-10, 18:31
Hey man:

I asked a similar question here (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=62549).

Quoting from a much more experienced member of the community,
"If you want your Glock to run reliably, particularly in its role as a PDW or a self-defense gun, I suggest keep the screwing around to a minimum; i.e., to sights, OEM connectors, trigger spring configuations, etc. I'm a big believer in practicing, competing, and training with one's gun, with a minimum of necessary modifications to said gun."

However, since you are using a .40, and my question was directed toward modifying a 9mm, I would assume that there is some benefit to be gained from an aftermarket spring.

Hope this helps...

M4arc
09-22-10, 18:36
I just recently replaced an OEM guide rod on my primary G19 that had 8500+ rounds through it. It never broke or detonated like a hand grenade as some suggest. I don't recommend running that long but if you replace them at their manufacture suggested interval you'll be fine.

That goes for the G23 as well. I have no problem running my G23 with the OEM guide rod.

ChrisG19
09-22-10, 19:00
All of the Glocks that I have seen that failed to run (5~6) had an aftermarket recoil spring assembly. Once the recoil assembly was replaced with the OEM part, all problems ceased. Not a large sample, but enough for me to stick with OEM parts. YMMV.

streck
09-22-10, 19:34
May have been coincidence but shortly after changing the OEM rod and spring with an aftermarket rod and spring my slide lock spring broke....May have been unfortunate timing but it happened.

Robb Jensen
09-22-10, 19:51
I use factory stock guide rods and springs in my Glocks but then again I've been called weird. :p

Chris Rhines
09-22-10, 20:34
When I was shooting Glocks, I would always install a lighter spring on a steel guide rod. Full-size and compact Glocks tend to be pretty badly oversprung from the factory. The Gen3 ones anyway, I have no experience with the Gen4 models.

Anyhow, I ran some tens of thousands of rounds through two G35s and one G19, and had no malfunctions save a handfun of user-induced ones. YMMV.

-C

M4arc
09-22-10, 22:05
I use factory stock guide rods and springs in my Glocks but then again I've been called weird. :p

Weirdo...

D. Christopher
09-23-10, 21:33
Boondock,

Stick with the OEM assembly, you don't need the stainless one. My experiences are exactly like ChrisG19, I've encountered 2 Glocks on the range in the past year that failed to run with the replacement guide rod assembly. We fixed one right there on the range by putting the OEM part back in the gun. The other guy didn't have his with him so I don't know if he fixed it, but that was only his second trip to the range since changing the OEM part for the stainless. (Less than 100 rounds before the failure to cycle.) Do as M4arc recommends and just replace yours with an OEM part at recommended intervals. Especially if it is a duty or personal defense weapon. M4arc got nearly 3 times the rated life out of his with no problems and I know many people who go 4 or 5 thousand rounds before changing with no noticeable problems. I change them at 3k for my carry, but that is probably a little paranoid. And I'm even weirder than gotM4, I'm the only guy on the planet that runs my Glocks absolutely dead stock. Good luck.

P2000
09-23-10, 22:01
I have used a steel guide rods for 4k rounds through a 17L, and 2k rounds through a 19 with no problems, except the first spring in the 19 was too weak, and I got a replacement. It was so weak that if you pointed the pistol in the air and put tension on the trigger, the slide would start moving rearward like it might go out of battery. As far as reducing muzzle flip, I don't think there is a difference. I got it because I just don't trust the plastic, even though it is a well proven design.

Once I shot a range rental subcompact 357 sig. While I was shooting, the guide rod broke. I don't know if it was factory or not, but considering it was a range gun it was probably factory and high round count.

ICANHITHIMMAN
09-23-10, 22:19
I have the lone wolf captured springs in both my glock 19s I think it gets me back on target faster.

556A2
09-24-10, 00:07
I see no reason to not use the stock spring/guide rod.

Seraph
09-24-10, 10:05
Try one out and see for yourself, but be sure to try it out VERY thoroughly before you adopt it in your carry sidearm. Run it with your preferred defensive ammo. Run it with a light attached. Run it after it's been in a hot holster for 12 hours, etc...

As for myself, I stick to the OEM guide rod assembly, and keep spares on hand (they're very inexpensive), but my Glocks are 9mm.

Singlestack Wonder
09-24-10, 10:10
A Steel or Tungsten guide rod for a Glock is a fix without a problem.

fnforme
09-24-10, 10:57
When I was shooting Glocks, I would always install a lighter spring on a steel guide rod. Full-size and compact Glocks tend to be pretty badly oversprung from the factory. The Gen3 ones anyway, I have no experience with the Gen4 models.

Anyhow, I ran some tens of thousands of rounds through two G35s and one G19, and had no malfunctions save a handfun of user-induced ones. YMMV.

-C

I never realized that Glocks are oversprung from the factory. It makes sense considering I followed the conventional wisdom that many European pistols are undersprung from the factory and went with heavier springs and a Wolff steel guiderod. The result has been less recoil but the sldie doesn't always lock back on an empty mag.

I am going to switch back to factory spring weights or even return to the factory plastic guiderod setup.

My only reason for switching in the first place is because someone I trust in the industry said he witnessed the plastic base of the guiderods break off on a few service pistols and render the pistols inoperable.

Jay870
09-24-10, 11:55
I stick with OEM on my carry gun (19).

When I was shooting a 17 in USPSA I swapped the OEM out to a non-captive Wolff steel guide rod, simply because it made experimenting with different spring weights a much easier process. For the record I shot that gun with everything from a 17lb down to a 13lb recoil spring and over the course of 8K+ rounds the only two malfunctions I have had were related to sand in the mags.

The "weight' of the steel guide rod itselt never made any difference I was able to see, however, changing the spring weights did noticeably change the sight tracking of the gun.

D. Christopher
09-24-10, 12:04
If we're talking about a Gen 3 or earlier, those pistols have billions of rounds through them now and we know what works, what doesn't, and what is a solution in search of a problem. If you are talking about a Gen 4 pistol, the technical manual is still being written and will continue to be updated for years to come. Nothing beats billions of rounds, millions of users, and decades of use in a variety of environments. Metal parts are not necessarily better than plastic parts in polymer pistols. They can create problems all their own. Choose wisely, and make sure you know exactly why you are changing a part and what the possible effects can be. Are you fixing an actual problem, or are you "upgrading" or "customizing" your weapon? If you are trying to fix a problem be sure you understand the malfunction before substituting another variable. Good luck.

C4IGrant
09-24-10, 12:45
Sorry if this has been hashed out already...If so, can somebody point me in the right direction?

I tried to do a search and the site kept locking up on me. Don't know if that's because of the scty settings on my computer or the site itself...

Anyhow, I was looking at the stainless steel replacement guide rods (w/spring) for my G23. (glockstore.com)

Sounds like a good idea in theory. Anybody got any direct experience with these? Are they a legit option for adding a little weight up front and reducing recoil/aiding controllability (sp?) ?

Or, are they "snake oil"?

Thanks.

When I shot Glock's, I used the ISMI system. Never had a single issue and felt that it had a better recoil pattern to me.

With that said, changing out the guide rod would be fairly low on my list of mods to do to a Glock. Changing out those crappy sights, adding a new Vickers Tactical Mag release, butt plug, and 3.5 Disc. would be higher up on the list. Then I would look at a grip reduction on it through Bowie Tactical.

C4

Alpha Sierra
09-24-10, 14:35
The gen 4 guide rod/spring design is not well thought out in my opinion.

I find an aftermarket single spring unit to be an improvement.

ChrisG19
09-24-10, 18:32
Boondock,
And I'm even weirder than gotM4, I'm the only guy on the planet that runs my Glocks absolutely dead stock.

Same here. :laugh:

HK45
09-24-10, 19:13
I used to buy them for all new Glock. My preference was Wolff rods and spring. For some time now I go stock. i just don't think there is any need to use aftermarket. That includes my Gen 4's btw. Stock is fine. No issues with some of them having very high round counts and plenty of abuse.
I also no longer used extended slide release and don't miss it at all. With the Gen 4's the standard mag release is great. So I put sights on them and I'm done.

D. Christopher
09-24-10, 19:58
:D
Same here. :laugh:

Just you and me Chris, we're all alone out here. :D

Strider5.56
09-24-10, 20:35
I have seen the stock plastic guide rods break. However it was officers that installed them in wrong after they disassembled their pistol for cleaning. I think you would be better off buying a spare OEM and keeping it with gear if your worried. I do not know for sure but I have heard in other forum circles some believe the metal guide rods in Glocks can wear out other parts faster. I have no personal knowledge of this because I do not know anybody that likes the metal rods enough to run them, just my 2 cents.

kyrin88
09-24-10, 20:47
How many times is this topic going to be covered? Don't try to fix something that isn't broken. All you need is night sights....:thank_you2:

boondocksaint
09-24-10, 21:18

:D This made me chuckle.

I'm not trying to fix any problems with my 23. I was just spending some quality time at work and came across the steel (and tungsten) guide rod/spring set ups & started noodleing through it.

Although I've shot/carried various handguns & long guns since '93, I don't pretend to be an armorer or have all the answers. That's why I like to bounce stuff off of you guys :cool:

I'm also NOT trying to build a "race" gun out of a 23. It is in fact one of my duty guns and certainly don't want to make it less reliable.

Thanks for the input gents!

D. Christopher
09-24-10, 23:12
How many times is this topic going to be covered? As many times as it takes. Since the search function hasn't worked for ages, whenever someone comes here in good faith and asks a question I think there are plenty of decent folks who will be glad to help if they can. Others will take care of busting their chops and still others will just bitch. Just like the real world in a microcosm. That's how we figure out who's who and what they're all about.

Heavy Metal
09-25-10, 00:06
How many times is this topic going to be covered? Don't try to fix something that isn't broken. All you need is night sights....:thank_you2:

And a Vickers Mag Release. If you don't have one of those, you are screwing yourself with sandpaper.

C4IGrant
09-25-10, 08:20
How many times is this topic going to be covered? As many times as it takes. Since the search function hasn't worked for ages, whenever someone comes here in good faith and asks a question I think there are plenty of decent folks who will be glad to help if they can. Others will take care of busting their chops and still others will just bitch. Just like the real world in a microcosm. That's how we figure out who's who and what they're all about.

Search function works perfectly: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=58243

C4

D. Christopher
09-25-10, 11:05
Search function works perfectly: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=58243

C4

Doesn't for me with 2 different browsers and hasn't for months. Doesn't always return a database error, but still doesn't work after last weeks problems that obviously weren't just me. Glad it works for you though.

EzGoingKev
09-25-10, 12:00
I have read that competition shooters like the extra weight of the tungsten guide rod to help reduce muzzle flip.

I have used a stainless steel guide rod in my Glocks since the early 90's, shot several thousand rounds through it, and never had any problems with it at all. My stuff is/was old though.

I do like the captured assemblies though. Some Glocks have them from the factory, others do not. I think they are easier to assemble and less chance of losing something if you had to disassemble/assemble in less than ideal circumstances.

As for the search function - it seems to be hit or miss for people, sometimes it works for me and other times it will not. You can use Google to search just this forum by using the advanced search and entering www.m4carbine.net. as the domain.

C4IGrant
09-25-10, 14:37
Doesn't for me with 2 different browsers and hasn't for months. Doesn't always return a database error, but still doesn't work after last weeks problems that obviously weren't just me. Glad it works for you though.

You didn't read the thread I linked to. Use the Search button at the TOP of the screen (yellow colored one). It is powered by Google and NOT through the forums search tool.

It works 100% of the time every time.

C4

RD62
09-25-10, 15:21
I have carried a Glock 22, 27, or 17 on duty, as backup, or off-duty and now as a CCW for the last 8 years.

The only part I have ever had break was the recoil spring assembly on the 22. The pistol remained completely functional and I didn't even know the guide rod had failed until I field stripped it for cleaning.

My Dept Armorer dropped another assembly in it and I continued on about my business.

I have owned and tinkered/upgraded/modified many different pistols, but I tend to keep my Glocks pretty factory. I install a "butt" plug, and metal night sights, and leave everything else the hell alone.

I have been tempted to change out connectors and trigger springs, mag catches, and more in an effort to improve my gun, but in reality the gun runs so I guess it's really to improve my shooting, but I actually shoot it pretty damn well. Heck, I even shot the 27 as well or better than my custom 1911.

The pistols run, and they are accurate. Not much else you can ask for as an upgrade.

I have never had a malfunction with any of my Glocks that was not ammo or idiot induced, therefore I have decided to spend whatever money I am tempted to spend on "upgrades" to my Glocks on ammo and range time instead. This makes ME a better shooter.

There are many here who shoot much more than I do and have much more experience with Glocks. This is simply my experience and observations.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

-RD62

RD62
09-25-10, 15:29
And I'm even weirder than gotM4, I'm the only guy on the planet that runs my Glocks absolutely dead stock. Good luck.

Rest well knowing you are not alone.

There are others like us. We are hiding in the shadows...

:D

J/K I'm a box stock kinda guy too. Factory metal night sights and a Pearce grip plug and I'm good to go.

cdunn
09-25-10, 19:47
OEM spring and rod.
and thanks for the search info.

DasBulk
09-26-10, 00:17
I bought an ISMI SS job as soon as I bought my 19. Ran it like that for quite a long time with no issues. It screeches someone when I dry cycle the slide, but I don't see a problem. After all, it is metal on metal.

I took it out almost a year ago though an replaced it with a factory unit when I started to carry it.
Its quieter... and cheap... and it works.

If it ever breaks, I have a good back up.

Iraqgunz
09-26-10, 01:07
How do you install a guide rod assy incorrectly? You won't be able to pull the slide back because of the size of the head at the end of the assy. In addition if it isn't seated correctly you can't even get it to seat down properly onto the barrel.

Just to make sure that I wasn't on crack I tried it with both of my Glocks. :confused:

I have seen the stock plastic guide rods break. However it was officers that installed them in wrong after they disassembled their pistol for cleaning. I think you would be better off buying a spare OEM and keeping it with gear if your worried. I do not know for sure but I have heard in other forum circles some believe the metal guide rods in Glocks can wear out other parts faster. I have no personal knowledge of this because I do not know anybody that likes the metal rods enough to run them, just my 2 cents.

Alpha Sierra
09-26-10, 07:47
I got tired of the Gen 4 recoil spring getting stuck in the guide rod hole when taking the pistol down.

Glockmeister fixed that.