PDA

View Full Version : What specific needs was the Vltor CASV rail system designed to fulfill?

Chris17404
09-22-10, 18:24
Hi all,

The Vltor CASV rail system seems well made and functional, but for a while now, I've been wondering exactly what needs of the Navy's was it designed to fulfill? Also, is it a good choice for a rail system for a general-purpose civilian defense AR?

Thanks for your time.

Chris

Underwood 43
09-22-10, 20:08
The bottom is removeable without disturbing the top, so that the M-203 could be barrel mounted. I believe it weighs 13 ounces so it doesn't weigh much. I have one on my LMT carbine. I liked the idea of not having rails unless I wanted them, only thing I had to change was my BUIS. The ones that came with my rifle were to long to fit with the top rail on the casv. But I found a set that is the same only shorter dimensionally and then I had to still take about quarter inch off but they fit and work.

Chris17404
09-27-10, 08:31
Anyone else have some knowledge on this? Thanks.

Chris

Underwood 43
09-27-10, 16:46
Google CASV rail system and look for the military morons link. They have a good review.

The_Hammer_Man
09-27-10, 18:01
Hi all,

The Vltor CASV rail system seems well made and functional, but for a while now, I've been wondering exactly what needs of the Navy's was it designed to fulfill? Also, is it a good choice for a rail system for a general-purpose civilian defense AR?

Thanks for your time.

Chris

I believe the CASV was originally designed to be a "squid proof". (A SEAL can break ANYTHING! LOL)

Nice and beefy and not too heavy and, like previously stated you can dismount the lower section and mount a grenade launcher. (not real high on a civilians list of must have accessories but, essential for the SEALs.)

Even if a grenade launcher isnt a possibility or a desire there are under barrel 12 guage shotguns that slip/clip in a similar manner.

From personal experience I can tell you that the CASV is not terribly Eotech friendly due to the increase in rail height you get. If I mount my Eotech 557 I cannot co-witness with my irons anymore.

However.. this rail setup works wonderfully with Aimpoint products of all types but especially with the CompM4. (which I have currently mounted)

It's tough and durable and I've used mine for about 6 different carbine classes and courses over the last 2 yrs and it's still doing it's job!

crazymoose
09-28-10, 04:17
Don't know that there was any one specific criterion it satisfied. It attaches without weapon disassembly. Everything on it is aluminum or stainless, so it won't rust. As others have said, the bottom section detaches easily. Ventilation is excellent, so it probably allows for very good barrel cooling (though I have no data with regard to this). It's comfortable, and you only have rails where you need them.

I've had extremely satisfactory performance from my CASV rails. Wish VLTOR would hurry up and make one in a rifle length, because I'd buy two or three right off of the bat.

Chris17404
09-28-10, 06:55
Thanks for the info, everyone. I appreciate it.

Chris