PDA

View Full Version : Some ammo to try out?

djegators
09-22-10, 21:09
Been shooting a lot of the Walmart Federal value pack stuff through my ARs, and it is fine for plinking, but I know my Noveskes can do a lot more with better loads. I would like to try some different stuff out, and I am looking for suggestions of brands, bullet types and weights to get started. Thanks in advance.

Iraqgunz
09-23-10, 01:29
Prvi Partizan Match ammo is a good start as well as Hornady 75gr. TAP.

Been shooting a lot of the Walmart Federal value pack stuff through my ARs, and it is fine for plinking, but I know my Noveskes can do a lot more with better loads. I would like to try some different stuff out, and I am looking for suggestions of brands, bullet types and weights to get started. Thanks in advance.

djegators
09-23-10, 07:49
Prvi Partizan Match ammo is a good start as well as Hornady 75gr. TAP.

OK, thank you. I will try to pick some up, and maybe get some heavier bullets in range stuff as well.

ucrt
09-23-10, 08:16
Fiocchi Exacta Match ammo shoots very good in mine. It likes the 77g Sierra Match King bullet.

Cabelas has it at a pretty good price-$16.88/20. (http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0078593217147a&type=product&cmCat=SEARCH_all_NYR&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&nyr=1&Ne=3&Ntt=.223+rem.+ammo&Ntk=Products&N=6715&Nty=1) They've got $5 shipping right now for $100+ order.

mike_556
09-23-10, 13:25
If you can get you a box of each type of ammo you want, bench it and see what your rifle likes..

DTHN2LGS
09-23-10, 19:11
Also test the Blackhills 77 gr. ammo in your gun, it shoots pretty good too.

markm
09-23-10, 19:56
Fiochi Match ammo is pretty good too.

chasetopher
09-24-10, 16:52
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/AMM223C-5.html

lake city for $.35 a round...
not AP ammo but steel tipped core
pretty accurate for the price

pbmaster2k89
09-26-10, 21:06
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/AMM223C-5.html

lake city for $.35 a round...
not AP ammo but steel tipped core
pretty accurate for the price

i have honestly never heard of lake city ammo but is it a good brand for BCM rifles?

ucrt
09-26-10, 21:35
From what I understand, Lake City is a government owned ammunitions plant that "Federal" operates for the government on contract. Guess the USG wanted to at least keep one supplier of ammo in Government hands...? Smart...

LC makes a lot of the military ammo but I don't think they make all of it. Some of it is bought from Winchester and possibly others. Again, I think LC generally makes "green tip" M855 ammo. I've seen ads claiming that M197 is the NATO round but from what I understand, US troops haven't used the 55g ammo in 20 years?? Supposedly, the military only shoots the green tip stuff (62g) or heavier. I've read that there is going to be another military round other than the M855 but I'm not sure what it is.

I've shot a fair amount of Lake City. It is good USA stuff but there are others that are more accurate in my guns.

ForTehNguyen
09-26-10, 22:29
prvi partizan M193 is good stuff. I use it to zero and it gets consistant groups

PlatoCATM
09-26-10, 22:55
From what I understand, Lake City is a government owned ammunitions plant that "Federal" operates for the government on contract. Guess the USG wanted to at least keep one supplier of ammo in Government hands...? Smart...

LC makes a lot of the military ammo but I don't think they make all of it. Some of it is bought from Winchester and possibly others. Again, I think LC generally makes "green tip" M855 ammo. I've seen ads claiming that M197 is the NATO round but from what I understand, US troops haven't used the 55g ammo in 20 years?? Supposedly, the military only shoots the green tip stuff (62g) or heavier. I've read that there is going to be another military round other than the M855 but I'm not sure what it is.

I've shot a fair amount of Lake City. It is good USA stuff but there are others that are more accurate in my guns.

M193, 55gr FMJ, is still in wide use today in the military. It is not made for accuracy but is reliable.

As far as other military rounds, there is at mk262 for starters and the more recent mk318.

evolixsurf
09-27-10, 01:32
get some black hills and dont look back... The stuff is clearly better than most other ammo. You can find good pricing if you look hard enough.

ucrt
09-27-10, 07:09
get some black hills and dont look back... The stuff is clearly better than most other ammo. You can find good pricing if you look hard enough.

======================

OP,
IMO, I wouldn't go buy a lot of any one kind of ammo---yet.

For accuracy, you need to find out which one(s) shoot best. Your Noveske will do well with more than one brand, which is good but you'll have to experiment to find out which ones are the "tack drivers".

Blackhills shoots pretty good, as good as the heavy Fiocchi but I got the Fiocchi about 25% cheaper. For the next "lot" of accurate ammo, I would not have a problem getting the BH because I know it shoots good.

So, get a sampling of ammo, (you've got a pretty list suggested in this thread) and try them out.

But maybe it's just me...

djegators
09-27-10, 07:49
Thanks again. I plan to acquire as many samples of what has been suggested as is reasonable for me, as well as a variety of range ammo to see what she shoots best. I will try to post one of those non-scientific reports when complete.

stifled
09-27-10, 08:00
I go to my local gun store and buy a couple boxes each of different ammo, then see what the gun likes. Why do they always like an expensive ammo? :(

I've had good general luck with Hornady TAP 75gr. and Winchester Ranger Penetrator in 62gr. The Winchester Ranger tends to work better in my barrels with lower twist rates, and the Hornady TAP in my newer rifles with 1:7" twist barrels.

djegators
09-27-10, 11:01
Just for clarification, this will be used in my Noveske low pro Recce with 16" 1:7 cold hammer forged barrel. This setup has a TA33 ACOG and a UBR stock, factory trigger, and standard Vortex flash suppressor.