PDA

View Full Version : Switching calibers in the M&P compact

theJanitor
09-23-10, 02:53
Is it easily done? What will it take to convert a M&P40c to 9mm?

thanks

willowofwisp
09-23-10, 07:09
you would need a conversion barrel, such as one from storm lake, 9mm magazines and probably a new extractor.

MichaelD
09-23-10, 07:58
you would need a conversion barrel, such as one from storm lake, 9mm magazines and probably a new extractor.

Actually, the 40c uses the same extractor as the 9c, so odds are a new extractor isn't needed. Other than that you're spot on.

willowofwisp
09-23-10, 08:50
Actually, the 40c uses the same extractor as the 9c, so odds are a new extractor isn't needed. Other than that you're spot on.

Thanks for the correction, i didn't know if it was like glock.

rathos
09-23-10, 16:08
or you can just buy a whole new factory slide assembly barrel and guide rode and be good to go. A lot more reliable then a conversion barrel although a bit more expensive.

MichaelD
09-23-10, 16:48
or you can just buy a whole new factory slide assembly barrel and guide rode and be good to go. A lot more reliable then a conversion barrel although a bit more expensive.

One could argue that if you're going to the expense of buying a slide assembly and guide rod -- about $300 or so all told -- you might as well just buy an entire second gun.

rathos
09-23-10, 17:14
True, but then you would be paying $540-570 if you purchase locally, at least that is what the going rate on M&Ps are in my area. You could purchase one online for around $460, but then you have shipping and FFL fees. Or you can purchase the slide, barrel and guide rode for a little under $300 and have a completely reliable 9mm (and no need for an FFL). As most will tell you a conversion barrel is not something you generally want to stake your life on. If the purpose is for range only I guess the storm lake barrel at $150 is a better option.

One could argue that if you're going to the expense of buying a slide assembly and guide rod -- about $300 or so all told -- you might as well just buy an entire second gun.