PDA

View Full Version : How the heck did this happen?

kwelz
09-23-10, 10:11
Not my gun, not even my thread.
But I saw this over at THR.org

http://thehighroad.org/showthread.php?p=6757592&posted=1#post6757592

I am at a complete loss as to how this could happen given the description. The casing is expanded by not blown. it was still in the chamber after firing. And the primer looks strange.

I figured I would ask the real experts because I am really wanting to know what can cause this.

THCDDM4
09-23-10, 10:38
:confused:That is some crazy shit. I am very interested to see what the experts here have to say about it...

SHIVAN
09-23-10, 10:43
Looks like one case was jammed in to the other case. No clear pic of the top of the mouth of the case, so hard to tell for sure.

Todd.K
09-23-10, 10:45
Hoax or he accidentally picked up someone else's case.
It is pretty obviously a .223 round fired in a 7.62 AK.

Look at the firing pin indentation, not AR-15.

THCDDM4
09-23-10, 10:57
Is it at all possible that there was debris in the firing pin hole/channel and when the lugs partially locked the obstruction struck the round from the force fo the firing pin? I doubt it but figured I would see if it was a possibility.

kwelz
09-23-10, 11:12
The dimple on the primer looks to uniform to be debris. Honestly I think Todd is probably right. The dimple does look about right for an AK firing pin.

THCDDM4
09-23-10, 11:19
The dimple on the primer looks to uniform to be debris. Honestly I think Todd is probably right. The dimple does look about right for an AK firing pin.

That what I thought as well, but its the only thing I could think of...

So a hoax then huh? Or a guy who doesn't want to admit he fired a 5.56 in a 7.62? Weird either way???

kwelz
09-23-10, 11:21
Doesn't have to be anything nefarious. He could have picked up the wrong round, or be honestly mistaken about what happened. Who knows. But there is no way that was fired out of an in spec 5.56 or .223 chamber.

rob_s
09-23-10, 11:29

I agree. Either maliciously bullshitting or ignorantly stupid.

the fact that the question was asked on THR is telling in either case. Either the OP is looking for mess with the know-nothings there or he is one himself.

kwelz
09-23-10, 11:38
I agree. Either maliciously bullshitting or ignorantly stupid.

the fact that the question was asked on THR is telling in either case. Either the OP is looking for mess with the know-nothings there or he is one himself.

LOL. Sometimes I wonder why I bash my head against that particular wall. Especially with all the BS over ownership. Still, this was an interesting one.

MistWolf
09-23-10, 11:50
From the evidence, I strongly suspect THAT case was fired in a 7.62x39 chamber. Look at the taper of the bulged section. Look at the diameter of the case mouth and the stepped part behind it.

I'd bet, after extraction, it was found on the ground amid other spent casings. I think the wrong case was picked up and this one did not come from the rifle in question. The primer shows severe indentation, indicative of being struck several times by a firing pin. I have used many a spent case in dry firing and in each case, the primer ends up looking just like this one. My suspicions are that whoever had to extract this case from their chamber let the hammer fall on it a few times during the process

Humpty_Dumpty
09-23-10, 12:16
So a hoax then huh? Or a guy who doesn't want to admit he fired a 5.56 in a 7.62?

Or an attempt to discredit Wolf ammo? After all, the first line of his post does read, "Is there a reason for this, other than the fact that it is Wolf?"

devildogljb
09-23-10, 17:43

i was thinking the same thing, never seen a primer hit like that on a 223/5.56. Def was not fired out of a 5.56/223. weapon

MechEng
09-23-10, 20:03
I'd have to throw the BS flag up on that one. If you print out that first photo and scale it off of the known dimensions of a 223/556 case, it was clearly shot out of a larger 7.62ish chamber. Do a little CSI trick on it.

dail621
09-23-10, 20:52

Now that you mentioned it, I think you might be right. My dad (USMC Vet.) once told me that it was possible to fire a 5.56 mm through a AK-47 and that he witnessed it happen during Operation Desert Storm.

Why anyone would want to do that is unfathomable to me but hey, we all know this world is filled with quite a few idiots.

dail621
09-23-10, 20:59
http://thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=128095&d=1285274506

Looks pretty similar to the case fired by the OP doesn't it.

MikeyB
09-26-10, 08:47
Looks pretty obvious that the 5.56mm round was fired in non 5.56mm chamber. Most likely in a 7.62x39 chamber. Then neck almost matches the base is a dead giveaway.

I have seen pictures similar to this when people accidently fire .308 Win in a 30-06 chamber.

MikeyB