PDA

View Full Version : Changing Calibers

CarlosDJackal
07-12-07, 22:18
I have an SBR with an 10.5" upper (LMT) and an RRA lower receiver. With the rising price of ammo along with my desire to do more low-light shooting, I've decided to purchase an RRA 10.5" 9mm upper.

Has anyone else done this? If so, did you have to receive "permission" from the BATFE to do this? Or is this unnecessary?

Thanks in advanced.

goodwi77
07-31-07, 13:27
I went the other way- started 9mm and got a 5.56 upper.

As far as I have found, the lower is the registered weapon and only "permanent" changes need to be reported. popping a couple pins isn't considered permanent.

You can always CYA by sending BATF a letter stating the additional caliber.

ETA.. man, I've been lurking for too long.

SHIVAN
07-31-07, 23:12
The BATFE does not need to be notified as the change is not permanent.

CarlosDJackal
08-03-07, 19:26
I did not want to risk the chance of becoming a felon, I have way too much to loose (IE: my badge, my security clearance, my job, and my freedom). So I called the NFA Branch and inquired about this. They suggested that I send them a letter informing them what I was planning and they would send me a response. I'm still waiting on a response (I only sent the letter this week plus I don't have the cash to buy the upper just yet so I'm in no hurry).

I'll post once I get an answer.

SHIVAN
08-03-07, 20:17
I'll post once I get an answer.

It's usually a bad idea to send the NFA a letter that allows them to clarify or create legally binding documentation.

Further, the letter addressed to you is only binding to you -- it won't really effect any of us since your circumstances are unique to you. ;)

Of course, you need to do what makes you feel comfortable, as would I under certain circumstances.

Changing an AR upper isn't one of those circumstances. :D

khc3
08-03-07, 23:35
There is no statutory requirement to notify ATF of any change in the physical configuration of your NFA firearm, whether permanent or temporary.