PDA

View Full Version : Bolt not locking back... need your help!

SpyderMan2k4
09-23-10, 19:18
I've searched and found several symptoms of bolts not locking back, but none seem to apply. I probably have only 250 rounds of 223/5.56 through my AR, and probably 1200 through my CMMG 22 conversion kit (I'd shoot some 223 through it after the kit to keep the gas tube clean.) Here's what's happening...

Yesterday I was shooting American Eagle 223, and the first magazine locked back ok. From then on, nothing would lock back... I thought maybe the magazine had a weak spring or bad follower, but none of the other magazines would lock back either. I thought maybe it was weak ammo, so I tried some Winchester 5.56 (which I've never had an issue with) and it wouldn't lock back either. Whenever I'd pull the charging handle back on an empty magazine, it would lock back.

This made me think maybe it was a gas issue, so I cleaned the gas tube the best I could in case it was short stroking. I took it out today and still had issues. If I manually pushed the bolt catch up when shooting, that would lock it back (so it wasn't the bolt catch, and it wasn't short stroking). I tried a friend's magazine, and a couple others of mine (all are pretty new PMAGS), and none fixed the problem. I then put my upper on his lower (to make sure it wasn't my bolt catch), and it still wouldn't lock back. However, I noticed if I put a little upward pressure on the magazine, that would seem to engage the bolt catch enough to lock it back on an empty magazine.

Does anyone have any idea what is happening here and why? I've done as much troubleshooting as I know how, but I'm at a loss. Your help is appreciated!

DaBears_85
09-23-10, 19:24
What make/model is the rifle in question?

Robb Jensen
09-23-10, 19:28
Failure to lock back can basically four things.

1. Bad mag (weak mag spring or bad follower).
2. Short cycling (not enough gas or weak ammo).
3. Bad bolt catch.
4. Overcycling where even a good mag can't keep up with bolt velocity.

Col_Crocs
09-23-10, 19:32
Just to be clear, youve had 250 rounds of 223/556 prior without any problems locking back?
Have you tried another upper on your lower?

However, I noticed if I put a little upward pressure on the magazine, that would seem to engage the bolt catch enough to lock it back on an empty magazine.
Was this on your lower or his?

Iraqgunz
09-23-10, 19:39
The first thing I want to know is who makes the weapon. If it was pieced together then specifically the upper and lower as well as the sum of the parts used to build it.

SpyderMan2k4
09-23-10, 19:44
What make/model is the rifle in question?

Double Star lower with DPMS LPK, CMMG 16" midlength upper.

Just to be clear, youve had 250 rounds of 223/556 prior without any problems locking back?
Have you tried another upper on your lower?

Was this on your lower or his?

Correct, no previous problems with it locking back. I did not try his upper on my lower (realized later I should have tried it.) When I put upward pressure on the magazine, I had gone back to my lower and hadn't tried it with his.

Failure to lock back can basically four things.

1. Bad mag (weak mag spring or bad follower).
2. Short cycling (not enough gas or weak ammo).
3. Bad bolt catch.
4. Overcycling where even a good mag can't keep up with bolt velocity.

1. Tried 4 different magazines total. Two of mine have few rounds through it, one was my friends literally brand new one.
2. I used hotter 5.56 and still happened... not to mention when I manually engaged the bolt catch it would work, so the bolt carrier was in fact getting back far enough (which seems like it's got enough gas).
3. Friend's lower/bolt catch wasn't locking back either
4. This sounds possible. I wish I would have tried his upper on my lower.

Robb Jensen
09-23-10, 19:51
It's most likely number 2. Could be a lose fitting or lose gas block and or carrier key. Some carrier keys and gas blocks feel tight but in fact leak.

Correct, no previous problems with it locking back. I did not try his upper on my lower (realized later I should have tried it.) When I put upward pressure on the magazine, I had gone back to my lower and hadn't tried it with his.

1. Tried 4 different magazines total. Two of mine have few rounds through it, one was my friends literally brand new one.
2. I used hotter 5.56 and still happened... not to mention when I manually engaged the bolt catch it would work, so the bolt carrier was in fact getting back far enough (which seems like it's got enough gas).
3. Friend's lower/bolt catch wasn't locking back either
4. This sounds possible. I wish I would have tried his upper on my lower.

SpyderMan2k4
09-23-10, 19:59
It's most likely number 2. Could be a lose fitting or lose gas block and or carrier key. Some carrier keys and gas blocks feel tight but in fact leak.

Hmm... any way to check that? I may just have to get ahold of my friend's upper and swap BCGs and see if that affects it, or try my BCG is his upper and see if there's any issue there and try to narrow it down.

Iraqgunz
09-23-10, 20:24
A few thoughts.

1. Ask CMMG what size the port is.

2. Look for leakage around the FSB and where the tube meets it.

3. Try and see if the carrier keys will move when you try and tighten them.

4. Try another BCG and also see if you can locate an H or H2 buffer.

Does it fail to lock back on all magazines? Including one that your friend has? Do they lock back in his weapon?

Hmm... any way to check that? I may just have to get ahold of my friend's upper and swap BCGs and see if that affects it, or try my BCG is his upper and see if there's any issue there and try to narrow it down.

44ruger
09-24-10, 06:27
Recently i was changing the buffer to a heavier one in my LMT lower, just to play with the cycle rate and so on. Testing to see if it would indeed lock back on only one round fired at a time, it would not. I had 20 plus new P-mags that i was also testing. It would not lock back. suspected the buffer i was trying, but actually turned out to be the P-mags. I wound up having to file a little excess material off the rear of the mags on about 18 out of 20 i had. They work just fine now. So dont discount the magazines as the problem. Just have to check all things and work thru it...

Todd.K
09-24-10, 13:28
If is was locking to the rear, then stopped locking to the rear the carrier key is immediately suspect.

Try a known good carrier.

scottryan
09-24-10, 13:45

That is about as low as it gets.

If you get the rifle fixed, I suggest selling it and buying something else.

You will continue to have problems with this gun after you get this issue solved.

SpyderMan2k4
09-28-10, 21:25
Here's an update (still haven't resolved the issue)

I borrowed my friend's AR (Double Star lower, CMMG LPK, BCM midlength upper), and his would not lock back either with American Eagle. I got some Federal XM193 5.56, and this would not lock back either gun. Again, applying slight upward pressure to the magazine would lock it back every time on both guns. I tried 10 different PMAGS and all have the same results.

I really have no clue what it is at this point... either two (nearly brand new) guns are having issues, or 10 PMAGS have gone bad... both are hard to believe.

Note to self: never ask scottryan anything because he's clearly an elitist who contributes nothing to the actual question asked.

SpyderMan2k4
09-28-10, 21:30
Recently i was changing the buffer to a heavier one in my LMT lower, just to play with the cycle rate and so on. Testing to see if it would indeed lock back on only one round fired at a time, it would not. I had 20 plus new P-mags that i was also testing. It would not lock back. suspected the buffer i was trying, but actually turned out to be the P-mags. I wound up having to file a little excess material off the rear of the mags on about 18 out of 20 i had. They work just fine now. So dont discount the magazines as the problem. Just have to check all things and work thru it...

This sounds exactly like what I'm going through... I will take a close look. Thanks!

Iraqgunz
09-28-10, 21:55
Here is what I want to know. Did you put his upper on your lower? If you did and it still didn't work, then I suspect your lower is out of spec.

I also recommend that you try some different mags just in case. In order to isolate the problem you need to get an AR that is known to function. Then you can swap items over, like the BCG, lower, etc...

In addition you really need to try and make your post(s) clearer.

For example- You could say;

I took the upper from my friends AR and placed it onto my lower. Using xxx ammo and xxx magazines weapon would still not lock back.

I then took my upper and placed it onto xxxx lower and using xxx ammo and mags the following happened.

The same would go for using the BC from each weapon. This will help to isolate the problem.

It makes it easier for use to follow what's going on.

I know that I am going to hurt some feelings here, but I suspect that the problem is a combination of parts that make up the Franken AR.

I know that will sound "elitist" but I have put together alot of AR's and have never experienced the kind of stuff I read here on an almost daily basis.

Here's an update (still haven't resolved the issue)

I borrowed my friend's AR (Double Star lower, CMMG LPK, BCM midlength upper), and his would not lock back either with American Eagle. I got some Federal XM193 5.56, and this would not lock back either gun. Again, applying slight upward pressure to the magazine would lock it back every time on both guns. I tried 10 different PMAGS and all have the same results.

I really have no clue what it is at this point... either two (nearly brand new) guns are having issues, or 10 PMAGS have gone bad... both are hard to believe.

Note to self: never ask scottryan anything because he's clearly an elitist who contributes nothing to the actual question asked.

RogerinTPA
09-28-10, 22:17
I had the same thing happen on 4 of 5 Pmags this weekend on a 6920. The last round wouldn't lock the BCG to the rear. I planned on shooting 10 mags that range session. The 5 USGI type D&H mags I brought along, all locked to the rear. Guess it's time to retire those 4 mags, which are about 3 years old.

KYPD
09-28-10, 22:51
If is was locking to the rear, then stopped locking to the rear the carrier key is immediately suspect.

Try a known good carrier.

I struggled with the same problem. Todd has the most likely answer. But if swapping out the bolt carrier with one known to function properly doesn't solve the problem, check the gas block for proper sealing and especially proper alignment. Misalignment due to improperly drilled FSB taper pin holes (by an incompetent third party) in an otherwise perfectly good Noveske barrel turned out to be my problem.

NongShim
09-29-10, 00:40
I might have missed it, but have you tried mags that were NOT PMAGs?

I no longer own any because I've had numerous that would not hold the bolt open on the last round (new mags), as well as other issues that this thread isn't about.

If you have not yet done so, try a standard USGI mag that is known to work in other guns. Eliminate the mags as a variable, if you haven't done so already.

SpyderMan2k4
09-29-10, 06:55
The magazines are the only variable I have not eliminated. I will try to pick up other mags today and see the results. After hearing other people have had this issue with PMAGS, it's starting to sound like they are in fact the issue. I'll post results after I can pick up a couple different mags (hopefully I can track down some USGI ones locally today).

Iraqgunz
09-29-10, 07:18
FYI- I have about 100 PMAG's and they work in all of my AR's. So I am not so sure it's the magazine per se.

The magazines are the only variable I have not eliminated. I will try to pick up other mags today and see the results. After hearing other people have had this issue with PMAGS, it's starting to sound like they are in fact the issue. I'll post results after I can pick up a couple different mags (hopefully I can track down some USGI ones locally today).

SpyderMan2k4
09-29-10, 19:27
I have a hard time believing it's the pmags that are the problem as well, but I have an even harder time believing that two guns are suffering from the same problem when the only common denominator is the magazines. I guess when I try some other mags that'll help narrow down the issues.

Iraqgunz
09-29-10, 19:35
I am not saying that PMAG's are the problem. What I am saying is that you need to ISOLATE the problem.

It would help greatly if you had an AR that is absolutely known to be reliable.

You then start with obvious things like magazines- the big thing is not buying some POS mags. Find some Colt mags or similar milspec aluminum mags and try them.

If that solves the problem then you may be able to say it's a magazine issue. You then can test those suspected mags in the known performer AR and see what happens.

If they work then the issue could be the lower. You have to have known quality stuff that works in order to rule out/ find the problem.

I have a hard time believing it's the pmags that are the problem as well, but I have an even harder time believing that two guns are suffering from the same problem when the only common denominator is the magazines. I guess when I try some other mags that'll help narrow down the issues.

rljatl
09-29-10, 19:40
Were these 20 or 30 round Pmags?

RogerinTPA
09-29-10, 20:01

As Iraqgunz suggested, just don't get any aluminum mags available. You need quality mags to make a fair and accurate comparison. OKAY, NHMTG are excellent USGI mags, Bravocompany Mags (D&H) with the Magpul followers, as well as DSA mags, also with Magpul followers. You can get 10 of them for 89 bucks. http://dsgarms.com/ProductInfo/MA-02DSGG10.aspx

a308garand
09-29-10, 21:17
Start with the least expensive fix and try your rifle:
1-Try a known good quality bolt carrier. If your rifle starts running, you know the gas key is not sealed anymore,,,time to replace the gas key and stake it in place.
next-if #1 didn't help
2-Try a replacement gas tube with your original bolt carrier. The old tube may have a build up of residue from the 22 conversion that has not been blown clear by shooting .223. The old tube may have been twisted or damaged somehow to become slightly misalligned and not allow enough gas flow.
next-if #1 or #2 didn't work
3-The old standby, check your bolt gas rings. They my be worn down and leaking. Replace them with a brand new set. Test your set up again.

Wild hunch and remote possibility,,,if the upper receiver is slightly out of spec, receiver that was mismachined and not allowing the magazine (feelips bottoming out too soon) to sit tall enough to function right....maybe it was ok for a while before being broken in and now caused trouble?

I am leaning towards the gas leakage being the trouble....gas key, gas tube, bolt rings or a combination of all.

SpyderMan2k4
09-29-10, 22:04
I am not saying that PMAG's are the problem. What I am saying is that you need to ISOLATE the problem.

It would help greatly if you had an AR that is absolutely known to be reliable.

You then start with obvious things like magazines- the big thing is not buying some POS mags. Find some Colt mags or similar milspec aluminum mags and try them.

If that solves the problem then you may be able to say it's a magazine issue. You then can test those suspected mags in the known performer AR and see what happens.

If they work then the issue could be the lower. You have to have known quality stuff that works in order to rule out/ find the problem.

You got it. That's mostly what I meant... trying to isolate the problem. Part of the issue is that my friend JUST built his rifle, so he has fewer rounds through than I do, so it's certainly not "proven," but hopefully having good quality stuff on his that's still having the same issues will help narrow down the issue.

Were these 20 or 30 round Pmags?

Both

As Iraqgunz suggested, just don't get any aluminum mags available. You need quality mags to make a fair and accurate comparison. OKAY, NHMTG are excellent USGI mags, Bravocompany Mags (D&H) with the Magpul followers, as well as DSA mags, also with Magpul followers. You can get 10 of them for 89 bucks. http://dsgarms.com/ProductInfo/MA-02DSGG10.aspx

That's the plan. Another friend has quite a few M16 USGI mags he got from the Army and are known to run well. I will be borrowing those.

Start with the least expensive fix and try your rifle:
1-Try a known good quality bolt carrier. If your rifle starts running, you know the gas key is not sealed anymore,,,time to replace the gas key and stake it in place.
next-if #1 didn't help
2-Try a replacement gas tube with your original bolt carrier. The old tube may have a build up of residue from the 22 conversion that has not been blown clear by shooting .223. The old tube may have been twisted or damaged somehow to become slightly misalligned and not allow enough gas flow.
next-if #1 or #2 didn't work
3-The old standby, check your bolt gas rings. They my be worn down and leaking. Replace them with a brand new set. Test your set up again.

Wild hunch and remote possibility,,,if the upper receiver is slightly out of spec, receiver that was mismachined and not allowing the magazine (feelips bottoming out too soon) to sit tall enough to function right....maybe it was ok for a while before being broken in and now caused trouble?

I am leaning towards the gas leakage being the trouble....gas key, gas tube, bolt rings or a combination of all.

That was pretty much what I've been doing... except instead of buying new parts, I'm borrowing them. Again, my friends BCM complete upper isn't locking back on them either. Neither complete gun locks back. His upper doesn't lock on my lower, and my upper doesn't lock back on his lower.

spdldr
09-29-10, 23:08
Often small gun springs are excessively strong. They can vary from batch to batch and manufacturers tend to try to err on the strong side for various reasons.

Compare the "feel" of the resistance to actuation of your bolt catch to that of someone else's that functions well. If the spring is too strong it will resist the mag follower pressure just long enough so that the bolt head will pass over the catch before it has had time to rise to engagement height. If the spring seems stronger than a functioning one it may be necessary to replace it or clip off a couple of coils.

Dave

Boonie Packer

SpyderMan2k4
09-29-10, 23:47
This was actually one of my first thoughts, as the bolt catch did feel really stiff. I clipped a coil off and it seemed the follower could activate the bolt catch a lot easier, but it didn't fix the problem.

After poking around various threads, I came across some threads about the brass ejection chart. While obviously there's WAY more that goes into that chart than just how a gun is gassed, I did find it interesting. When I first got my AR (when I had no issues with it locking back), brass was ejecting at 3-4:00. I did find it kind of odd last week (when I noticed lock back problems), my brass was landing about 1:30. This COULD be an indicator of a previously mentioned idea, that my gun is overgassed (midlength upper with m16 carrier, and a standard buffer).

Iraqgunz
09-30-10, 00:36
Out of curiousity did you ever call CMMG as I recommended and ask them what size their ports are?

If you have a chance, why don't you humor me? Remove the gas tube and soak it overnight in some type of carbon cutter/ remover. Then reinstall it with a new roll pin.

Hell- send your address to me and I'll send you a few for free.

This was actually one of my first thoughts, as the bolt catch did feel really stiff. I clipped a coil off and it seemed the follower could activate the bolt catch a lot easier, but it didn't fix the problem.

After poking around various threads, I came across some threads about the brass ejection chart. While obviously there's WAY more that goes into that chart than just how a gun is gassed, I did find it interesting. When I first got my AR (when I had no issues with it locking back), brass was ejecting at 3-4:00. I did find it kind of odd last week (when I noticed lock back problems), my brass was landing about 1:30. This COULD be an indicator of a previously mentioned idea, that my gun is overgassed (midlength upper with m16 carrier, and a standard buffer).

SpyderMan2k4
09-30-10, 09:17
I have not called CMMG yet, mostly because I haven't even narrowed it down to my upper considering the BCM does the same thing.

SpyderMan2k4
09-30-10, 14:47
I called the tech support at CMMG to discuss the size of the gas port. He told me to try firing the gun while holding down (or up) the bolt catch to see if that would lock back. I told him I tried that and it would lock back. He assured me it wasn't a gas issue as the bolt was moving back far enough to reach the bolt catch, and it was an issue with the bolt catch and/or the magazine(s).

I've noticed the bolt catch doesn't make a ton of contact with the follower. As something of an experiment I cut a tiny piece of metal and used epoxy to glue it to the back of the follower so the bolt catch could get more contact.
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a53/spyderman2k4/PICT2046.jpg

The result... both guns locked back 100% of the time (had probably 20 lock backs on each rifle). I'm not about to go and do this to the rest of my magazines until I try some USGI mags, to determine if it is in fact the pmags or the bolt catch, but I'm pretty much eliminating gas issues.

This brings up another question- are there some bolt catches that have larger magazine contact points than others? I'd prefer to just get a new bolt catch that'll definitely make a bit more contact rather than have to modify magazines.

a308garand
09-30-10, 16:46
Look here for directions, how I fixed my rifle bolt catch/Pmag issue:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=66&t=479984

Iraqgunz
09-30-10, 17:02
All that aside I WOULD STILL CALL AND ASK THEM. If they don't answer the question this will tell you something.

I have not called CMMG yet, mostly because I haven't even narrowed it down to my upper considering the BCM does the same thing.

SpyderMan2k4
09-30-10, 17:33
Look here for directions, how I fixed my rifle bolt catch/Pmag issue:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=66&t=479984

Awesome. Kinda glad I'm not the first person to have this kind of issue. I'll probably try a regular Colt bolt catch and if that doesn't work, definitely go with the 9mm one. Any ideas if there will be any kind of long-term durability issue with the 9mm one?

a308garand
09-30-10, 18:08
Awesome. Kinda glad I'm not the first person to have this kind of issue. I'll probably try a regular Colt bolt catch and if that doesn't work, definitely go with the 9mm one. Any ideas if there will be any kind of long-term durability issue with the 9mm one?

Measure the length of the bolt catch "finger". Its not going to vary much by the various makers, I kinda checked into this for some time before settling on modifing a 9mm bolt catch. Shimming the bolt catch and other tricks just didn't get enough engagement onto the follower.

This fixed my out of spec lower receiver by modifing a 9mm bolt catch. The 5.56 catch will not solve your troubles if the "finger" of the catch is not being engaged by the Magpul followers. I have been shooting this rifle a bit and have not had any problems. The bolt catch is exposed to significant force when stopping the bolt, so if it eventually breaks, I am back to where I started. The grinding and polishing was limited to the side facing the magazine and hopefully the side being struck by ther bolt lug is still hard enough.

Or I could go back to USGI mags in that rifle.

SpyderMan2k4
09-30-10, 18:40
I gotcha. Looking at it, there is a tiny bit of wiggle room in the bolt catch... how should I go about trying to shim it?

a308garand
09-30-10, 19:16
I gotcha. Looking at it, there is a tiny bit of wiggle room in the bolt catch... how should I go about trying to shim it?

Measure how far the "finger" needs to project over the follower. This is the amount you need to get the bolt catch sitting.
The receiver has only so much room in the bolt catch cut-out. The bolt catch needs a bit of wiggle to function.
Chances are that you do not have enough room in the bolt catch cut-out to push the catch by shimming.
I tried adding a few welds to the rear of the bottom face of the bolt catch, couldn't get enough engagement and maintain function of the bolt catch.
I tried adding a few carefully shaped aluminum shims between the rear of the bolt catch pivot (where the roll pin goes) and found that did not move it enough forward for engagement.
Thats why I ended up fitting a 9mm bolt catch.

Iraqgunz
09-30-10, 19:59
During this whole process did it ever occur to you that the lower could be out of spec? Just curious if you had thought about sending it to Double Star for them to look at it.

SpyderMan2k4
09-30-10, 20:32
During this whole process did it ever occur to you that the lower could be out of spec? Just curious if you had thought about sending it to Double Star for them to look at it.

A couple people on the first page mentioned it might be out of spec, and at this point that is probably the issue. Or even if it is "in spec," it's so far on one end and the bolt catch is so far on the other end that it's causing an issue. I might try to shim it (a quick/cheap fix) and if that doesn't solve the issue, I will probably look into sending it to them. It's my only AR so I'd prefer not to be without it if I don't have to, considering it functions excellent except for this one issue. I will say that if nothing else, this experience is teaching me a lot about the quality of various parts.

SpyderMan2k4
10-08-10, 12:30
Here's the update-

I tried another friend's PMAG (uses a slightly different follower than mine), as well as a USGI Colt magazine. Neither would lock the bolt back. I swapped out the DPMS bolt catch with one from G&R (I think remember seeing LMT on it). It actually helped a little, but not really (the other PMAG and the Colt mag would lock back about half the time... not exactly fixing the problem.

It seems that the lower is out of spec (it's not the upper, it's not the mags, it's not the buffer, and it's not the bolt catch... so I have no clue what else it could be). I'm gonna give Double Star a call and see what they can (or will) do about it.

Iraqgunz
10-08-10, 19:24
Please keep us updated. I have a feeling a new lower will solve this problem.

Here's the update-

I tried another friend's PMAG (uses a slightly different follower than mine), as well as a USGI Colt magazine. Neither would lock the bolt back. I swapped out the DPMS bolt catch with one from G&R (I think remember seeing LMT on it). It actually helped a little, but not really (the other PMAG and the Colt mag would lock back about half the time... not exactly fixing the problem.

It seems that the lower is out of spec (it's not the upper, it's not the mags, it's not the buffer, and it's not the bolt catch... so I have no clue what else it could be). I'm gonna give Double Star a call and see what they can (or will) do about it.

SpyderMan2k4
10-08-10, 20:12
Please keep us updated. I have a feeling a new lower will solve this problem.

I agree. I'll be ordering a new S&W lower tomorrow. I'll be sure to post results when it comes in. Thanks to everyone for their help!

SpyderMan2k4
12-22-10, 11:10
So nearly 2 1/2 months later I got my S&W lower (I work for a dealer and ordered it directly through them for cheap... it was out of stock for a while thus the long wait).

I built the S&W lower with the G&R LPK. It locked back a lot, but not 100% of the time. I'm gonna number my magazines (probably should have done that a while ago) and keep a close eye on how it responds to specific ones. I used about six 30 round pmags, and two 20 round pmags... i forgot the USGI mag in the truck.

I didn't have a lot of time to test everything. Friday will be my next day out so I'll be much more thorough in keeping track of what's working and what's not.

Sadly I don't know anyone else with a functioning AR, otherwise it would probably make my life a little easier!

JimmyB62
12-23-10, 01:29
It's not uncommon for the 20rnd Pmags to occasionally fail to lock back the bolt. It's very uncommon for it to happen with the 30rnd'ers. That's been my experience and I've read it here and elsewhere many times.

NongShim
12-23-10, 14:53
I'm not going to re-read this whole thread; please correct me if I'm wrong.

So, you eliminated everything as a variable, to include building a whole new lower, yet you're still using those same PMags? Try this...don't get attached to mags. If they don't work, shit can them. They cost $13 a piece.

Forgot the GI mag in the truck? Did you have to trek to base camp #1 at Mt. Everst once you left the truck to get to the range? As I said before, let go of your attachment to the PMags.

SpyderMan2k4
02-01-11, 08:26
Sorry for the delay,

Not I'm not attatched to any mag at all. As far as the USGI mag in the truck (I do park on the road and walk a couple hundred yards into the woods), I thought it was in my range bag, it wasn't so I thought I forgot it at home. Turns out it was in the truck.

I borrowed 4 magazines from another friend. Lancer, 2 bushmasters with magpul followers, and a C products. I numbered all of my magazines (10 30 rounders, and 2 20 rounders). I put a single round in each and fired through. I put about 5 rounds through each. Conclusions:

There were no conclusions on the magazines. Most of the 30 round pmags locked back 100%, others were closer to 80%. The 20 rounders were about 20%, and all non-pmags (5 of them), locked back 30-40%

I admit I'm an idiot for not even noticing another variable... I'd never heard of it casing an issue so it didn't even cross my mind. The BAD lever. I came across some threads of it causing issues last night. I took it off and took the gun and all the mags out this morning. With the exception of a single 20 round pmag, everything locked back 100% of the time. I tried all of the non-pmags (lowest lock back rate) about 6 times, each one locked back every time. So out of about 45 tries total, it only failed to lock back about three times, all from the same 20 round pmag.

So- problem solved. The BAD lever was causing my problems all along.

Iraqgunz
02-01-11, 15:59
If you look back at some of my first posts, I asked about modifications, etc...

This is exactly why.

Sorry for the delay,

Not I'm not attatched to any mag at all. As far as the USGI mag in the truck (I do park on the road and walk a couple hundred yards into the woods), I thought it was in my range bag, it wasn't so I thought I forgot it at home. Turns out it was in the truck.

I borrowed 4 magazines from another friend. Lancer, 2 bushmasters with magpul followers, and a C products. I numbered all of my magazines (10 30 rounders, and 2 20 rounders). I put a single round in each and fired through. I put about 5 rounds through each. Conclusions:

There were no conclusions on the magazines. Most of the 30 round pmags locked back 100%, others were closer to 80%. The 20 rounders were about 20%, and all non-pmags (5 of them), locked back 30-40%

I admit I'm an idiot for not even noticing another variable... I'd never heard of it casing an issue so it didn't even cross my mind. The BAD lever. I came across some threads of it causing issues last night. I took it off and took the gun and all the mags out this morning. With the exception of a single 20 round pmag, everything locked back 100% of the time. I tried all of the non-pmags (lowest lock back rate) about 6 times, each one locked back every time. So out of about 45 tries total, it only failed to lock back about three times, all from the same 20 round pmag.

So- problem solved. The BAD lever was causing my problems all along.